INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stream to airplay device  (Read 2471 times)

tyler69

• Citizen of the Universe
Stream to airplay device
« on: October 10, 2017, 01:14:38 pm »

Is it possible to select airplay devices in the macOS version for playback of audio? If not, is this planned / can this be implemented?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Stream to airplay device
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 01:17:28 pm »

No and no.

There was a utility that people reported some success with.  I don't recall the name.  Try searching here or on Google.

tyler69

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 01:24:21 pm »

Thanks, I guess it was tuneblade/tuneaero which I use on windows devices. EDIT: on macOS AirParrot (among other apps) can do it too.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 05:02:41 pm »

I think for this Airfoil is the best program on a Mac.
And you can stream the music on your Mac to multiple speakers and rooms.
But: it's no free program.
Frank

tyler69

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 05:24:25 pm »

Thanks Frank, I tried out Airfoil now. Does the job. However, I'm investigating also another option with using zones.

On my PC I have TuneAero installed which serves as an Airplay receiver. I can see this "device" from within MC on my MacBook as an output device BUT only if it is selected as an output device in macOS sound settings. As soon as I change the sound device in macOS to "internal loudspeaker" or something else than TuneAero, the corresponding output device in MC disappears. This is 100% reproducible since the output device appears in MC as soon as I again select it in the macOS settings (options in MC need to be closed and reopened in order to refresh the output devices). If the TuneAero device would stay available in MC as an output device, one would be able to use it as output in another Zone. This would be a very elegant solution to this use case since then one wouldn't need a streamer app (e.g. Airfoil) anymore.

So: can the TuneAero device be made persistent, regardless of sound device settings in macOS?
Pages: [1]   Go Up