INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver mp3 - price differentiation  (Read 3339 times)

Jaheira

• Recent member
JRiver mp3 - price differentiation
« on: October 17, 2017, 02:15:07 pm »

JRiver could offer a light version of it's software for less money to reach more customers.

It's okay to pay 50$ and to pay (each year?) for upgrades, if you have speakers for a thousand dollars. That is a limited group of people.

Why don't you sell more units by doing a light version for people who spend less money on audio equipment?

Advantages:
- Extra money from extra customers
- Your programs and your brand will be more popular and you have a foot in the door for potentional premium customers. You could ask your light customers once a year if they'd like to test the premium version for a month.
- Free advertisement from magazines which will spread the good news

How could a light version look like? It should play mp3 and have basic mps functionality like doing/using play lists and volume leveling. Maybe it could also play files similar to mp3 like ogg vorbis, maybe even flacs, but no high definition files.
You could cut elevated sound engineering options and stuff like WASABI. You could offer either light versions of movie/ internet player and data bank functionality or leave it out completely.

I would pay 10$ for a light version without free major updates. I would not pay 50$ for the JRiver player. I'm not interested in most of it's functionality and I can have other players for free. My personal interest in JRiver is its superior sound - but 50$ is too much. And extra money for updates? I only succumb to that nuts with MS Windows and I will use Windows 7 at least as long as there are safety updates.

ths61

• World Citizen
Re: JRiver mp3 - price differentiation
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 02:22:54 pm »

Jaheira,  FWIW, if you are an existing customer, MC offers discounted early-bird upgrades.  Also, MC does not expire each year.  You pay for the version upgrades, not an annual license fee.  Also, MP3's don't have "upgrades", their protocols are stagnant.
Main - JRMC31 -> custom ALSA_cdsp -> CamillaDSP(2x8 channel 64-bit FIR convolution) -> 8 channel DAC
Office - JRMC31 -> Asus Xonar Essence STX -> W4S STI-1000 -> Mini-Magnepans
Shop - JRMC31 -> W4S MicroDAC -> Adcom GFA-2535 -> B&W Rock Solid

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 02:39:30 pm »

I personally think ppl who play MP3 wont bother with JRiver (or kodi ... or Plex ... too steep learning curve) ... they are perfectly happy with their iTunes and spotify :)

I would have been perfectly happy with iTunes if they offered at least 16/44
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Jaheira

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 05:50:27 am »

I am fully aware of the terms and conditions of JRiver. I would have to pay 50$ for the first purchase and extra money in case I wanted to have major upgrades. I think that is too much for the sole purpose of playing mp3 files.

Mp3s don't upgrade, but JRiver does. It could get a better user interface, for example.

Jaheira

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 05:56:19 am »

Well, I would like to have the audio quality of JRiver to play my mp3 files. I have tried lots of different players and they all sound different. With JRiver, mp3s do sound better, a bit bombastic though.

JRiver could have a better user interface but it is not overly complicated if you just play mp3s out of the box.

Why should only people with deep pockets have awareness for sound quality?

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 04:57:37 pm »

JRiver created an audio only free version called Media Jukebox https://jriver.com/mj/ some years ago you could download and try.

I do not regret paying the $50 plus early bird upgrades (usually a new version each year) for all the extras that are now part of my family's daily life.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 07:47:24 pm »

JRiver created an audio only free version called Media Jukebox https://jriver.com/mj/ some years ago you could download and try.

I do not regret paying the $50 plus early bird upgrades (usually a new version each year) for all the extras that are now part of my family's daily life.
and if one is a savvy shopper there's always a way to get 2 versions of MC for the price of one! tho I don't mind the 20. bucks a year to support a superb app....heck I probally waste more than that on software I don't use after I've bought it!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Jaheira

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 06:34:45 am »

and if one is a savvy shopper there's always a way to get 2 versions of MC for the price of one! tho I don't mind the 20. bucks a year to support a superb app....heck I probally waste more than that on software I don't use after I've bought it!

My initial argument is not that JRiver was too expensive for all the qualitity and functions that it offers. It is a fair deal for its current customers, people that have a lot of money or do big investments into audio hardware or use large parts of its functionality.

My suggestion is to have a downgrade offer for people with less money or less demands, but still sell superior sound quality to that different kind of audiece for additional earnings.

Jaheira

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 06:39:13 am »

JRiver created an audio only free version called Media Jukebox https://jriver.com/mj/ some years ago...

Thank you, I tried it. I am looking for a mp3-player with superior sound quality. Media Jukebox 14 sounds horrible, worse than my easy-to-use VLC player. JRiver went a long way... .
Pages: [1]   Go Up