INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with importing library  (Read 4113 times)

Pack66184

• Recent member
Help with importing library
« on: October 20, 2017, 12:30:14 pm »

Asking for help. I imported my library into JRiver and encountered this issue. A number of files were listed as unassigned. I'm assuming the metadata or tags were not recognizable by JRiver. When I view the same files in ITunes, the tags are assigned to each file. What can I do to fix this issue? I would also add that this happening to over 50% of the library regardless if these files were downloaded as AIFF files or ripped from CD's.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help with importing library
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 12:49:24 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

That sounds like the tags are not in the files.  Take a look to see what MC shows.  Select one and click on Tag in the lower left corner.

You can use MC's tool called Fill properties from Filename IF the files are consistently named.

Pack66184

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 07:07:38 pm »

You are correct that MC does not show any tags to all the files listed as unassigned. I'm confused since iTunes does show the tags (and album art). The same thing is happening with album art. Which that being the second issue or "Step" I wanted to undertake before I figure out why MC was placing such a huge number of files as unassigned. Just too explore the option that I would have to re tag all the files, any suggestions for a quick and painless method of doing so? I have DB poweramp. The thought re tagging over 800 folders seems like a task I would want to answer the question why one software sees tags and the other is erasing or not seeing the tags first.

And there's more information. Being a newbie to JR, I didn't realize I had created a separate folder within the music folder that either iTunes or JR was relocating files. Basically I had duplicate folders but one would contain the file and one would not. A mess that I spent a number hours re consolidating and organizing. So, originally, these files were in JRiver MC22's library with correct tags. The issue then was album art, JR either would not show it while the tag said an image file was present, would not allow the internet to paste, or would not recognize the folder.jpg.

Rebuilding and reloading the library was the intention to catch the album art. I noticed deleting the files and importing a second time captured updated folder.jpgs.

Now, 98% of the folders will be in the library with album art, but almost all the folders are incomplete missing the files/tracks  be dumped into an unassigned folder in JR's library due to missing all tags with the exception of the name of the file. Went from one problem to another. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 07:18:34 pm »

You are correct that MC does not show any tags to all the files listed as unassigned. I'm confused since iTunes does show the tags (and album art).
iTunes must have them in their database.  They are not in the tags.
The same thing is happening with album art. Which that being the second issue or "Step" I wanted to undertake before I figure out why MC was placing such a huge number of files as unassigned.
MC has tools that might help.  If the files are named according well, you might be able to fill the tags.  See the Library Tools section under the Tools menu.  Experiment carefully.
Just to explore the option that I would have to re tag all the files, any suggestions for a quick and painless method of doing so? I have DB poweramp. The thought re tagging over 800 folders seems like a task I would want to answer the question why one software sees tags and the other is erasing or not seeing the tags first.
Please see above.
And there's more information. Being a newbie to JR, I didn't realize I had created a separate folder within the music folder that either iTunes or JR was relocating files. Basically I had duplicate folders but one would contain the file and one would not. A mess that I spent a number hours re consolidating and organizing. So, originally, these files were in JRiver MC22's library with correct tags. The issue then was album art, JR either would not show it while the tag said an image file was present, would not allow the internet to paste, or would not recognize the folder.jpg.

Rebuilding and reloading the library was the intention to catch the album art. I noticed deleting the files and importing a second time captured updated folder.jpgs.

Now, 98% of the folders will be in the library with album art, but almost all the folders are incomplete missing the files/tracks  be dumped into an unassigned folder in JR's library due to missing all tags with the exception of the name of the file. Went from one problem to another. 
It's a bit of a mess right now.  Just proceed carefully.

Pack66184

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 08:28:42 pm »

Thanks, employer has me busy. I'll post my progress as soon as I can.  :-[

Pack66184

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 09:59:32 am »

Update ~ I ended up removing all files including MC23 and started from scratch. (twice) the first attempt left over 50% of the library without tags. On the second attempt, before reloading MC23, I exported an XML file from iTunes (under file ~export library). J River imported the library and reduced the 3K+ unassigned songs and reduced it to 64 files. Thats much better than what I had to work with before. On the negative side, about 30% of the albums are missing cover art. MC seems to have a great tool to capture art so that will work with some time invested into it.

maddog510

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 11:06:35 am »

Update ~ I ended up removing all files including MC23 and started from scratch. (twice) the first attempt left over 50% of the library without tags. On the second attempt, before reloading MC23, I exported an XML file from iTunes (under file ~export library). J River imported the library and reduced the 3K+ unassigned songs and reduced it to 64 files. Thats much better than what I had to work with before. On the negative side, about 30% of the albums are missing cover art. MC seems to have a great tool to capture art so that will work with some time invested into it.
How did you import the XML library file into JRiver?

Pack66184

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 08:52:19 pm »

Sorry, It has been some time since I visited this thread. I don't remember exactly how the file was imported. However, I did rebuild the library using DbPoweramp more than MC. I found the editing tools in DB more effective than MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up