INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync Library  (Read 5225 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Sync Library
« on: November 06, 2017, 10:45:20 pm »

I am running MC 23 on two different computer/audio systems, not as server/client but as separate entities each with their own external drives etc. The only trouble is that if I change any data on say album metadata on the one device, I feel I must go over to the other computer and update the data there two. Yes, I know I can set them up as server/client and even just use one drive for music files on the server computer, but my method offers me one advantage: I have a duplicate copy of everything (don't trust spinning drives), and sometimes only one computer is turned on.

My question is this: what exactly does Library Sync do? It seems to be able to copy over files (like ITunes home share?), and I get this. Does it allow any other sort of data transfer between the two computers?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sync Library
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 06:49:09 am »

Consider using Media Server and connecting to the remote library with Library Server.  The wiki has a topic called Media Network that explains what they do.

MikeO

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 07:35:48 am »

Hi

Jim is right .... Define a "Back Up" , strictly if you are using it its a working copy not a back up  ;D It is claimed that a drive is less likely to fail if its not spinning , better still not attached !

Your best bet is to define one PC as the Master, keep one drive permanently attached . Define the second as the "Slave" ,

Goto > Options>Media Network Client Options (When connected to a library server)

Check Auto Sync With Server

you can now make changes to either pc and your library will cahge to match it

If you are really paranoid (Like Me) you can occasionally force a Sync by going File>Library>Sync Library which does just the same as auto sync but you see it happening

Now all you need to do is BACK UP you Master regularly on the second drive

If I make any changes I normally back up once I am finished -- YES paranoid , it took a long time to build my library , I keep the master files on the PC on an internal HDD and 2 copies at all times , often 3 I have a spare 2Tb drive so why not.

Maybe checkout a program called SyncBack , it fairly cheap and does a "mirror" function ensuring that the copy mirrors the main drive.

As an aside the Server Option leaves a whole host of other goodies like DLNA , JRemote open to you and all things NICE

Hope This Helps

Mike

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 04:33:40 pm »

Thanks for the replies. I have tried syncing with the server library. (I used File--Library--Sync). The second computer did indeed import the one new album recently ripped into MC 23 on the server computer, but the problem is that it then kept on going and started to import duplicates of albums/songs already on the second computer (starting with the most recent). If I hadn't halted proceedings, I'm sure it would have duplicated my whole collection (34,000+ files!). Am I missing something here?

Also, the one recently copied album shows up as 'Recently Imported' on the second machine, but all the other library of albums on the second machine are now listed as 'Library Sync--Files not in Sync

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 07:19:30 pm »

You know, I've never looked at the "File > Library > Sync Library" function and didn't know what it did. But it says what it does clearly at the top of the dialogue;
"Library Sync lets you copy files from another PC. Just start Library Server on the other PC, then start the sync here."

That is definitely not the right thing to do, unless you were starting from a clean MC installation on the second PC, and actually wanted to copy all your media files across from an existing PC. That is not the sync that a Client/Server setup uses. But it does use Media Network to read all the files from a Server Library. The "File > Library > Sync Library" function is only available on a Client if the Client isn't already connected to a Server anyway, so normally not an issue. But MikeO gave you a bum steer there.

In fact "Library Sync" sounds a lot like using the "Handheld Sync" function to sync files to a hard drive directory. That process can have some gotchas, so I wouldn't be surprised if this process does as well.

No, if you wanted to set up a Client/Server environment in MC, follow the instructions in the Media Network Wiki article Jim mentioned. Once that is set up and you are working on a Client that is connected to a MC Server, the Sync that MikeO meant to direct you to can be found in almost the same place, at "File > Library > Sync Changes with Library Server", which only syncs changes in the Library itself, and does not copy files. The media files that are located on the MC Server are then served to the MC Client as required, using the Media Network functionality. Sounds confusing as I write that, but it isn't.

The correct sync can also be found by clicking on "Playing Now" then "Playing from..." then the name of the MC Server you are connected to. A button will then be visible to the right titled "Sync Changes with Library Server". Click that to sync just the Library.

If you ran the "Library Sync" function on your second PC it probably didn't copy a bunch of files across if you left the default settings in the dialogue, because the default is to Merge files, by which I assume it means MC won't create duplicates. But if the file paths you use on the two PCs are different, it may have started to copy files across, because files in a different directory are different files are far as MC is concerned, with this function, I suspect, since I haven't and won't be trying it!

If you have a mapped drive from the second PC to the first PC, then Auto Import on the second PC could have started importing files directly from the first PC, if your settings allowed that. But that would have happened previously if both PCs were turned on and on the network.

So you will need to clean up any duplicate files, and perhaps it would be best to restore a recent backup of the library on your second PC in order to get rid of the "Library Sync--Files not in Sync" stuff.

If you do want to maintain a full set of files on both PCs and keep them in sync, then I think you will need to ensure first that the path to the files on each PC is identical, at least below the path defined in the "Options > File Location" settings, and you will need to ensure that the File Locations in the Sync Library dialogue match the  "Options > File Location" settings for your local Library. If that was all done, and it may have been when you first ran the function, then the "Library Sync--Files not in Sync" messages probably just mean that the files on the first and second PCs are identical, and so they haven't needed to be synced.

If you do want to do the above I suggest that you set up a small independent library with a few files in a new separate location on the first PC then turn on Media Network for that library, and then set up a new independent library on the second PC, and without copying files beforehand, use the Library Sync function and see what happens. Then edit some stuff on the first PC, adds some files, remove some files, Library Sync and see what happens. You may find it does exactly what you want.

But you really should consider using a proper Client/Server setup. Yes, you do need the Server to always be running when you want to use the Client, but it can be allowed to sleep and then be woken when the Client tries to connect to it. Yes, you do need to do quite a few maintenance functions on the Server PC, such as View maintenance, and any "Rename, Move, & Copy File" functions. But otherwise, as MikeO says, it is a good solution.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 12:10:28 pm »

Yes, thank you for the detailed response. I can see the advantages of the Client/Server set-up, and I am quite comfortable using it.

However, with separate computers each using MC23 with their own files on their own external drive (I can connect them to the network as required), how do I copy only new files over to the second computer. If I go File--Library--Sync Library I can indeed copy files over, no problem. It starts with the most recent and does the job, but then it keeps going adding dupes to the second machine. The only way to solve it is for me to remember "Oh yes, I have 56 new files to copy over today, so I must quit copying when the count reaches 57". Any thoughts?

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 02:35:05 pm »

You just need a sync program that will work over a network...I also keep separate files on a computer or two as separate from my main music server. I like and use Goodsync...it's not free but then most of the good stuff in life isn't
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 04:34:21 pm »

Any thoughts?

I suspect that MC needs to do one complete file sync first so that it knows what it has synced, in a similar way to the Sync Handheld functionality, and then after that it would just sync the new files. But as you already have copies of most files on the second PC, that isn't what you need. You could probably make that work by deleting all the files off the second PC (or moving them somewhere MC doesn't see them), and then doing a full sync. That would be a bit of an experiment though, and you should backup everything, files, Library, etc. before attempting that if you wanted to try it.

It isn't even clear to me if he Library Sync function copies over the Library from the first PC or not. It may just copy the files and you would still need to create and maintain the Library on your second PC. Of course you could just do a Library backup on the first PC and restore it on the second PC, but then you would have to be using exactly the same paths for everything on the second PC...

You just need a sync program that will work over a network...I also keep separate files on a computer or two as separate from my main music server. I like and use Goodsync...it's not free but then most of the good stuff in life isn't

I think this is the answer you need for copying files over. But it won't copy across changes to the library, for example, tag, view, or Cover Art changes. It may assist in those processes if tags are saved to files, and the synchronising tool you use copies the files across again if the "Date Modified" has been changed, or a file event is detected if the sync software uses that method.

So if you just use a file sync tool then you will still need to do some Library maintenance on each PC. Or the Library backup and restore.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 05:25:04 pm »

I think the simple and free method is to know that I am copying over a specific number of files in any one session and to stop MC23 syncing after it copies those files. It seems to start with the most recent files, so that is possible. Interestingly, I am a convert to JRiver from Itunes, and while JRiver beats ITunes in every possible way and then some, the ITunes 'Home Share' feature was very nice...just copied files from the first to the second computer (that aren't yet on that computer) and doesn't try to make duplicates. With JRiver, it seems bizarre that one feasible option is to carry my external drive over from the client computer to the server and manually copy files in Windows Explorer...

Still looking for other suggestions....

NorthGeorgiaWX

• Recent member
  • It's a jeep thing... you wouldn't understand
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 07:09:10 am »

I know this is old, but I had little response to my questions about Sync.

I use a program called TreeComp to keeps all of the hard drives synchronized among my three computers. I also have batch files to do the same thing, so while it's somewhat of a pain to keep things similar, it's not perfect and copies are relatively slow across my fast network.

I am using the playlist sync feature and that seems to work well. I wasn't sure about using the Library backup and restore or clone simply because I wasn't sure of the ramifications of doing such.

I'm just trying to find the best "automated" way of keeping my three library servers and files in sync using MC. The details of what goes on behind the scenes with Sync seems to be mysterious at best. I'm just hoping that someone can give me more specifics about how it operates/limitations/best practice for use so I can decide what I need to do.

I'm retired with 30 years in technology as a systems engineer, so I can generally figure things out, but without just playing with it to see, I'm not sure how else to find out how it works. What I don't want to do is experiment with my music. I guess I'll try to create a small library and play with it to see what happens.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 07:29:08 am »

Have you explored the wiki?

Also the DevZone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up