INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Problems after upgrading [Solved]  (Read 4993 times)

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
DLNA Problems after upgrading [Solved]
« on: November 17, 2017, 08:07:49 am »

Hi All -

I upgraded to MC 23 last night on two PCs and a Mac, and all of my DLNA zones have disappeared.   

I definitely have "Use Media Netword" checked, and I've tried turning my firewall (just the windows firewall) off. 

I still have MC 22 installed, and - maybe this is a clue or maybe it's just more baffling? - if I run those versions my zones are still broken.

I'm at a bit of a loss, this has always just worked.  Any ideas?

Kid Twist

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: DLNA Problems after upgrading
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 08:36:18 am »

Try rebooting your router. Try restarting your computer. Both of those have worked for me when zones vanished.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 09:02:31 am »

Thanks - I tried a system-wide reboot (router/modem included) last night, and in response to your suggestion I tried it again just now.  No dice. 

It's such a weird problem, it makes me think I'm missing something really simple?

I also successfully ran whitebear's utility from one of my PCs, which makes me even more confused, since it seems to say that everything's ok.  Log attached, in case anyone can see my problem in there. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 09:04:09 am »

Could be the firewall.  Remove the entries for MC from it.  It should then ask when you try to do something (unless it's in silent mode).

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 09:07:19 am »

Thanks Jim - the firewall's completely disabled.  It did ask when I disabled it, and it's nagging me to turn it back on so I think I'm good there.

Plus the whitebear utility streamed it's test audio successfully, so that must mean that the firewall isn't shutting my connections down...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 09:24:35 am »

Try reconfiguring your firewall.  Disabling it may not be enough.

There is a topic on our wiki for Windows Defender.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 10:27:51 am »

I've added exceptions for MC20, 22 and 23 in my firewall.  I've also followed the instructions on the Wiki for "Taming Windows Defender" and told it to leave my MC path and 4x exe files alone.  Rebooted everything, still no zones showing up.

I CAN, however, load my MC libraries between each of my three machines.  Is that weird?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 10:32:49 am »

I suggested removing the firewall rules for MC.  Did you try that?  Windows Defender should then ask you what to do.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 10:48:38 am »

I just tried removing the entry, and rebooted. 

I didn't get a firewall message, so I tried disabling Media Network in options, then re-enabling.  I then got the firewall message, and allowed MC to pass through the firewall. 

Still no zones. 

EDIT: I can use JRemote on my iPhone to control one of the windows PCs &/or stream to my iPhone. 

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 11:15:12 am »

Some New info:

I created a new zone by right-clicking on the media server icon in my tray, and THAT zone shows up on my other machines.  I seem to be able to play to it, but I can't tell where it's playing, definitely not in my speakers.

Edit: Although I can see the zone and see what's playing there, I can only play a file directly from the remote machine.  I can't send from one machine to another, even thought under "send to" my newly created zone appears as an option.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 11:35:52 am »

More new info:

I did a complete uninstall / reboot / reinstall on one of my windows machines and voila!  Zones!  from both my macbook and the re-installed PC.  Nothing from the other PC.

Now it gets even weirder:
- from the mac, if I right-click a track and say send to the PC zone, it plays locally on the mac.
- however, if I select the same track and say send to the PC zone and play using play doctor, it plays correctly in the target zone.

Any idea what's going on?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 12:24:45 pm »

You may have had more than one entry in your firewall.  Try removing them all.

Are you running as admin?

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 12:44:54 pm »

OK I have removed all inbound and outbound rules for Media Center... There were a lot of them.

I am logged in as an admin (it's the only account on each PC).

I then disabled Media Network and re-enabled it, and was again prompted by Windows Firewall, and accepted the changes.

I'm back where I was following my re-installs:
- zones show up (yay!)
- playing from MC on my Mac to my PC's Zone plays the file locally (rather than in the selected zone)
- playing from MC on my Mac using "Play (with PlayDoctor) (PC Zone)" plays in the PC's zone
- going the other way (PC to Mac) works as it should.

So unusual.

Update: PC to PC is also working as it should.  My problem now is only Mac to a zone to a PC zone... it only works if I play using play doctor, not with normal play, shuffled play, etc. - those all play the file locally instead of in the zelected zone.  Once Play Doctor queues up a bunch of tracks on the PC Zone I can control them from my Mac. 

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 01:05:22 pm »

Maybe this is a MC23 for Mac bug?  Can anyone confirm?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 01:21:50 pm »

Not likely.  Sorry.

Double check your networking and the setup of your zones.

This makes no sense at all:
it only works if I play using play doctor, not with normal play, shuffled play, etc.
Is how you play different?

Try dragging and dropping a file onto the zones.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 01:29:32 pm »

This makes no sense at all:Is how you play different?

Try dragging and dropping a file onto the zones.

I couldn't agree with you more.

If I drag a song from my local library on my mac and drop it on the remote zone it plays locally on my mac.

If I right click that same local file and choose "send to -> Play (Zone) -> Play" it will also play the file locally on my mac.

If I right click that same local file and choose "sent to -> Play (Zone) -> Play (with PlayDoctor)" it will play in the selected zone.

I don't know what to tell you.  It's at least consistently odd, I can repeat this over and over again.  I've tried with local files on my mac and networked files in my mac's MC library (stored on my NAS).  Same thing either way.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 03:09:20 pm »

Note - I tried a few more builds of MC 23 on my mac, and they all give me this odd behaviour. 

I'm back to MC22 (on my MAC, PCs are working well with MC23) for the time being and it's working well. 

JohnT

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 08:38:25 am »

I can't reproduce the problem on Mac.  Maybe send me a log file after starting up the Mac MC23 and attempting to play to a DLNA zone where it ends up playing on the local zone.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 09:17:28 pm »

Attached.  Fingers crossed that you can see something goofy in there that fixes this...

rockson61

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 03:00:31 pm »

I'm having somewhat similar problems with MC23. Running latest version on a Kangaroo PC with Windows 10 (1703 update) and BubbleUnP. I have four Chromecast audios throughout the house. Absolutely no issues with MC22 but with 23, the program sees the CCAs, assigns music to them but simply does not stream. My Mac server also on Version 23 sees all the CCAs and streams perfectly to all of them. Tried the Windows Firewall entry wipe and re-entering the permissions to no avail. Will stay on 22 for now. Hopefully the 64bit Windows version will resolve these issues?

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 09:00:50 am »

I don't know why it would mess things up, but I also have a chromecast on the same network. 

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 07:16:46 pm »

SOLVED: oh man was I happy to find this worked:

- I had zoneswitching on.  I turned it off and deleted the entry. Voila!
- I turned zone switching back on, no problems. 

dunno.  happy it's all working now.

rockson61

• Recent member
Re: DLNA Problems after upgrading [Solved]
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 06:56:32 pm »

Latest version of MC and BubbleUPnP have fixed all issues! Everything working now and super stable!
Pages: [1]   Go Up