INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View broken by Fall Creators Update?  (Read 3078 times)

patman

Theater View broken by Fall Creators Update?
« on: November 22, 2017, 01:17:59 pm »

Help!

The Fall Creators Update for Win 10 appears to have broken Theater View on my HTPC (Lenovo H530 / i5 4460 / Intel HD 4600 graphics). Every time I select theater view it displays for about 5 seconds, then the screen goes black with a flashing mouse pointer visible some of the time, then after about 20 seconds the screen displays a message 'Error drawing using Direct3D (device lost)'. At this point the video driver has crashed and I have to reboot to get audio back - the device manager says 'Windows has stopped this device because it reported problems (Code 43)'. If I stay out of Theater View JRiver appears to be fine - I can watch TV, play recordings etc without any problems.

The problem started a few days ago when the FCU was applied. I also got the 23.0.81 update around the same time, so I rolled back to 23.0.73 which had been working perfectly for me before and I see the problem with that version as well. I also rolled the video driver back to version 10.18.15.4248 dated Aug 4th 2015 which I had been using for over 2 years until recently updating to a newer version (20.19.15.4531 9/29/16) for reasons unrelated to JRiver (HDHomerun), but that didn't help either.

I tried the experimental OpenGL mode which does not crash but hangs up as soon as I stop watching a TV channel. I also played with the Options->General->Video Card->Hardware Accelerated Graphics settings but without any success there either. I also disabled themes as suggested in another topic related to video driver crashes but that didn't help either.

Are there any suggestions for other things to try or logs I could gather that might help with this problem.

Thanks, Pat.

robgil

• World Citizen
Re: Theater View broken by Fall Creators Update?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 01:56:49 pm »

I have exactly the same problem, I run JR 22 22.0.110, I tried updating then rolling back the display adaptor driver with no joy, Mine is Intel HD Graphics 4400.

robgil

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 05:29:04 pm »

I unchecked disable screen saver in theatre view as I don't use one, I unchecked disable windows media centre as I don't have that either, then I checked experimental opengl, all in the tools, options , theatre view and it seems to be stable, I don't know which of these options made it stable so when I get time I will go through them, fingers crossed it will remain stable.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 02:04:54 am »

The problem may be with the video driver.  Try installing directly from the manufacturer.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 03:53:49 am »

I unchecked disable screen saver in theatre view as I don't use one, I unchecked disable windows media centre as I don't have that either, then I checked experimental opengl, all in the tools, options , theatre view and it seems to be stable, I don't know which of these options made it stable so when I get time I will go through them, fingers crossed it will remain stable.

The OpenGL option quite certainly, it changes how Theater View works entirely.

Otherwise, the only chance would be to try different drivers. So far the only reports seem to be from people running Intel GPUs.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

davelr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 09:54:58 am »

The 'Error drawing using Direct3D (device lost)' error condition has been around for a while. I've seen it as far back as maybe 2 years ago, but it has been only an occasional thing although it used to be more frequent. If I see it every 3rd or 4th month that's a lot. Reboots have always fixed it. I did find an explanation of the cause somewhere in the forum but don't remember the details.

For the record I'm running Win 10 1709 (FCU) on an Intel motherboard with embedded Intel HD4000 graphics. My driver is currently v 10.18.10.4653 dated 4/7/2017.

I'm not currently running the OpenGL version of theater view, but don't remember any specific problem with it either.

robgil

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 03:23:48 pm »

My driver is 20.19.15.4531 , 29/09/2016. The information box for the driver in Device manager says ''Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_041E&SUBSYS_06221028&REV_06\3&11583659&0&10 requires further installation'', doesnt this usually say driver working OK or something?

Edit - Had a read up, apparently it doesnt mean anything.

robgil

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 03:58:04 pm »

The problem may be with the video driver.  Try installing directly from the manufacturer.

I have done some reading, apparently this driver may have been modified by either Microsoft or Dell, Intel do a generic driver so I will have a search for it when I get time.

Edit - Intel have a driver update program that you can download , might be worth a try, However it didn't update or change my driver.

robgil

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 04:01:04 pm »

The 'Error drawing using Direct3D (device lost)' error condition has been around for a while. I've seen it as far back as maybe 2 years ago, but it has been only an occasional thing although it used to be more frequent. If I see it every 3rd or 4th month that's a lot. Reboots have always fixed it. I did find an explanation of the cause somewhere in the forum but don't remember the details.

For the record I'm running Win 10 1709 (FCU) on an Intel motherboard with embedded Intel HD4000 graphics. My driver is currently v 10.18.10.4653 dated 4/7/2017.

I'm not currently running the OpenGL version of theater view, but don't remember any specific problem with it either.

Directx seems to spring to mind, or a problem relating to it, but I cannot remember for sure.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 02:35:01 am »

I have done some reading, apparently this driver may have been modified by either Microsoft or Dell, Intel do a generic driver so I will have a search for it when I get time.

Edit - Intel have a driver update program that you can download , might be worth a try, However it didn't update or change my driver.
It might not, if your driver is newer.  Try removing the current driver first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up