INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC apparently stuck library read-only mode  (Read 1515 times)

sgclark

• Recent member
MC apparently stuck library read-only mode
« on: December 08, 2017, 07:06:42 pm »

Hello all.  Today in MC 22.0.108 I attempted to use Tools/Library Tools/Rename Move & Copy Files on 108 files.  When the function finished and asked me if I wanted to keep the changes, I saw from the Windows directory listing that, based on the new file names I saw there, I must have made a mistake, so I answered No.  The directory containing all the files I attempted to modify was still a mess, though, so I manually restored it from backup, and then in MC restored the library to the last library backup I had made before the attempted alteration.  However, MC reports that the library will be opened in read-only mode, and that all changes will be lost upon exit.  It reports this no matter which library backup (I back up after every change to the library) I ask MC to restore, so I am stuck in a state of being unable to modify the library.

The library and all files to which it refers live on a Synology NAS.  No other copies of MC that use this library are running on this computer (I rebooted to make sure) or any other computer on the local net, other than an Id, which uses its own local library, not the one I tried to modify.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong here, but it's not clear to me how to proceed.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!

Stan

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC apparently stuck library read-only mode
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 07:54:38 pm »

I have sometimes made that happen, but only on a MC Client PC, not on the MC Server PC.

I assume that as you were trying to use the Rename Move & Copy Files function, you were working on the MC Server PC?

Anyway, a reboot usually fixes the issue for me. As you have tried that I would shut down the Id, reboot the PC and the Synology NAS, restore the backup and check again. If all is working, restart the Id and you should be good to go.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

sgclark

• Recent member
Re: MC apparently stuck library read-only mode
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 01:58:27 pm »

Thank you for the quick reply.  I too have seen the symptom before, but only when another windows computer was running MC and using the library; when a second computer starts MC with the same library, MC sensibly announces that the library will be opened in read-only mode, for obvious reasons.  In my case, though, the Id uses its own library (watching the audio only portion of the database), so it can't be the prior copy of MC with the library open.  Thus, although I tried your suggestion, it didn't work.

What fixed my problem is what I should have done before I posted my question:  I reinstalled MC, restored the last known good library backup, and the problem is gone.  This would seem to indicate that MC had set a durable flag that the library was in use and no one should step on it until MC was done modifying it.  Just a guess.

I wonder if what induced my problem was that when I answered No when the Rename, Move & Copy Files function asked if I wanted to keep the changes, I didn't wait long enough for MC to unwind the changes I had proposed.  After a while nothing much seemed to be happening to the contents of the database directory it was operating on, so I took over and manually restored the directory.  I can see how MC could be in a slightly disheveled state if I interrupted it in mid-process.  If this is likely what I did wrong, I'm wondering if some kind of progress indicator, or just a small "Working on it" indicator would be a useful enhancement.

Thanks again for your help.  This user community is one of the best I've ever encountered.

Stan
Pages: [1]   Go Up