INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Uninstall old versions?  (Read 8561 times)

Ghubbard

• Recent member
How to Uninstall old versions?
« on: December 09, 2017, 06:46:31 pm »

Should I uninstall all old versions of JRiver?  Is there a easy way to do this?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to Uninstall old versions?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 08:08:13 pm »

Yes.
Yes. Well, easy might be a subjective assessment on my part, but the correct way is to:

1. First, make a manual backup of the Library with the version of MC you are currently using. Name the backup something recognisable so it is easily selected later, and make a note of where it is saved.
I usually just append something like "Prior to uninstalling earlier versions" or similar to the automatically proposed backup file name.
2. Next, launch the earlier version that you want to uninstall. There may be some popup questions asking you to allow the software to make changes to your system. Allow them, as this re-registers the older versions of DLLs and so on. You want these version registered for the uninstall to correctly remove them from Windows.
3. Then uninstall the version you just ran. There will be a shortcut in Windows named something like "Uninstall Media Center xx".
Note: If you have a mixture of 32bit and 64bit versions, particularly if they are the same MC version, make sure you are running the correct uninstall program, as early 64bit versions didn't name shortcuts differently to 32bit versions. The easiest way to do that is to right-click on the uninstall shortcut in the Windows menu, select "More", then select "Open file location", then right-click and check the Properties of the uninstall shortcut. If it points to a program in "C:\Program Files (x86)\" it is the 32bit. If it points to a program in "C:\Program Files\" it is the 64bit. Hopefully you won't have that complication.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each older version you want to uninstall.
5. Then launch your current version and allow it to make changes as well.

From there everything should be fine. But if you notice anything amiss, or just want to be sure, reinstall the current version and restore the backup you made in step 1.
If step 3 sounds too complicated, you could just uninstall all versions of MC that you find in the "Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features", reboot, then reinstall the latest version and restore the backup you made. Uninstalling MC doesn't remove library backups. If you do this, you may need to restore your MC licence as well. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to Uninstall old versions?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 01:31:49 am »

I always leave the old versions until I'm no longer using them, and then just uninstall them.

RoderickGI's advice is probably safer.  I just like to test "worst case" scenarios because I know our customers will do that occasionally and MC should survive a little abuse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up