INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Screech when changing tracks  (Read 1402 times)

designmule

• World Citizen
Screech when changing tracks
« on: December 16, 2017, 01:36:51 pm »

Running  MC 23.0.80 for ARM, Raspbian 4.9.59-v7+

Last night, while listening to some tunes I experienced a very loud screech when changing from a track on one album to a track on another album. This did not happen every time I changed tracks nor did it continue to happen when I played the offending track again. I think it might be related to my DAC (allo piano 2.1). There were some reported issues of clicks on track changes (nothing like I experienced) which were reportedly fixed via firmware.

However, most of my playback options were copied from my Windows PC and I wonder if any of those may be problematic with the pi.

For my audio device I'm using plughw:Card=PianoDACPlus,DEV=0 [ALSA] clearly not copied from a Windows PC.
Under "Track Change" I have "Gapless".
"Do not play silence" is unchecked.
"Use gapless for sequential album tracks" is checked
"Use gapless for manual track changes" is unchecked

Should any of these settings be changed? Are there any other settings I should take a look at?

Thanks for your time.
Matt

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Screech when changing tracks
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 02:59:33 pm »

MC has an option to "play leading silence".  It can sometimes help with a problem like this.  Some DAC's don't change formats gracefully.

The other way to solve it is to force everything to the same bitrate and sample rate in DSP Studio > Output Settings.

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 04:56:38 pm »

Thanks Jim

In my case all of the tracks I played were 16bit 44.1khz. Do you think the leading silence could still help? I don't see how forcing everything to one bit rate will make any difference. I'll also add, this wasn't a quick blip, this was full on screeching which lasted the 10 seconds it took me to run across the room and pull the power cord from the amp.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 08:42:46 pm »

Since this DAC is designed for the PI, I would check if others are experiencing similar issues with other PI OS's (Volumio, etc). Maybe try Allo support.

Are your settings in Output settings 2 channel? The "plughw:" should be the appropriate device selection. However, have you tried the other available output device settings under Tools/Options/Audio/Audio Device? You might try the various other Track Change settings....I would think that "Standard (gapped)" is sort of a default.

Linux is a different animal from Windows, and I've found using dual boot between OS's on the same machine needs different MC settings for each OS (or flavors of Linux), trial and error.

Hopefully someone else here has this particular DAC and can be more help.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 01:46:27 am »

In my case all of the tracks I played were 16bit 44.1khz. Do you think the leading silence could still help? I don't see how forcing everything to one bit rate will make any difference. I'll also add, this wasn't a quick blip, this was full on screeching which lasted the 10 seconds it took me to run across the room and pull the power cord from the amp.
The only way to know is to try changing settings.  I might try 48Khz, for example.
Pages: [1]   Go Up