INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using an Id with a USB Thumb Drive  (Read 1692 times)

pleehey

• Recent member
Using an Id with a USB Thumb Drive
« on: December 18, 2017, 09:05:24 pm »

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I am using a USB thumb drive to move music files from iTunes to the id. I insert the Lexar, do an import from Lexar into my id file system. I then do an Action Window/Sync Handheld. Each time I am losing the music I had successfully loaded to the id & was listening to over my stereo setup. Befudled in Minneapolis!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Dying here loosing my music
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 09:33:02 pm »

I don't have an Id, but surely you should be;

1. Copying the files from the Lexar to the Id file system. Removing the Lexar.
2. Importing those files on the Id into MC on the Id.

Finish.

Or are you using the Lexar as your permanent store for files used on the Id? In which case;

1. Insert the Lexar into the Id and mount it if required.
2. Importing the files on the Lexar into MC on the Id. Leave the Lexar in place. Always, unless you have the setting "Fix broken Links" set to "Yes (protect files on missing drives)

Finish.

Regardless, if you are using the Sync Handheld function, it must be for some reason other than getting files onto the Id.

If you are trying to use the Sync Handheld function to get files into a MC installation on the Id, you are doing it wrong. I would expect that to break the process, and possibly delete files from the Lexar.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

pleehey

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 10:18:05 pm »

When I import, and then look at Albums in MC, it shows "/Media/Lexar". Only way I can figure out how to get the music to the MC file system is to Sync Handheld. Clearlyn I am missing something.....

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 12:30:36 am »

Yeah. I'm afraid I don't have the answer as I don't have an Id, but using Sync Handheld is absolutely the wrong thing to do.

There is a forum board for the Id here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/board,42.0.html which has instructions. Ask more in there.
There is a Wiki article on installing it here: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id_Install_Guide#Adding_Files  That link goes directly to the Adding Files section.

All you are missing out on, unless you intend to always leave the Lexar plugged in and the source of media files, is how to copy files from the Lexar to the Id. After you do that, then import them into MC. Not before.

PS: One issue you may have missed is that unlike iTunes, MC doesn't move any files unless you tell it to. It just indexes where the files are and uses them from there. I know iTunes moves the files and puts them into a directory structure it decides upon, but MC doesn't. There are very good tools to move files in MC if you want to do that, once you have imported the files so that MC knows about them. But that is probably a bit advanced just at the moment, if you are just moving from iTunes to MC for the first time. Search the Wiki for "Moving Files" if you wish to read about the main tool.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Using an Id with a USB Thumb Drive
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 01:12:40 am »

I posted a reply to your questions earlier:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,113608.msg785306.html#msg785306

Do you want to copy files to the Id?  Or leave them on a USB drive?  If the latter, you need to use the Id's text menu to add the drive (External Media Menu).   

Instructions are here:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id_Install_Guide

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Using an Id with a USB Thumb Drive
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 01:15:41 am »

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I am using a USB thumb drive to move music files from iTunes to the id. I insert the Lexar, do an import from Lexar into my id file system.
If you want to copy the files to the Id, you must do so first, and then import.  Transferring across the network, as I explained earlier in the other thread, might be easier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up