INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wifi Streamer for Naim Olives  (Read 1335 times)

ian1948uk

Wifi Streamer for Naim Olives
« on: December 29, 2017, 03:56:38 pm »

Hi all some advice please. My current system is all Naim "olives"; CDX CD player, NAC 102 pre amp with NAPSC 2 power supply and a built-for-me power supply that sits a little better than a hi-cap (allegedly), NAP 140 power amp, all into a pair of Credos, plus Rega Ear 2 headphone amp. I've been very happy with this system.

I have on the order of 3.5k CDs. Recently I've part filled a dedicated portable hard drive with 1.4k albums and this is growing! I use JRiver software to manage the "library" (hard drive into laptop in another room to my hifi. I'm very happy with the software. 

I installed JRemote on my iPad and connected this to my pre amp via a dedicated cable. All seems to work very well although it's a bit cumbersome.

I toyed with selling my kit apart from speakers and buying a second hand Naim Uniti 2. Naim dealers advised against this saying that no Unitis past or present would offer the same quality as my existing kit. So it looks like adding a wifi streamer between my iPad and Naim kit is what I should do.

Suggestions have been made with a lot of support for either a Yamaha WXC-50 or WXAD-10 or an Arcam rPlayer. I'm not after anything too sophisticated but whatever will accommodate JRiver and its Remote.

Does anyone have any comments on the suggested items or alternative recommendations please? Thanks in advance.

robt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Wifi Streamer for Naim Olives
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 05:07:18 pm »

If I've understood you correctly, I think what you need is a USB Dac rather than a streamer. JRiver carries out the streaming role and then ideally outputs via USB to a compatible Dac which converts the digital signal to analogue and then to your pre amp.

Many Dacs can also carry out the role of the preamp too, outputting direct to your power amp. I had a similar set up to yours with a Cyrus streamer, I replaced that with a mini computer and an Auralic Vega dac. This site can supply a dedicated low powered computer called "JRiver Id" that would fulfill the streaming function although I have no experience with it. You could continue with your Mac and source a USB Dac to replace your pre. Lots of options..

Running JRiver on a computer opens all sorts of new possibilities, not least control with Alexa! You won't look back... Are you interested in viewing photos and videos too? How about streaming radio and youtube? You probably will be and your home entertainment goes to a whole new level....
Pages: [1]   Go Up