INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lowest Power Usage Setup for Video  (Read 3701 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Lowest Power Usage Setup for Video
« on: December 30, 2017, 02:37:19 pm »

I finally got around to putting JRiver on my RPi today, fairly easy to follow the steps at the top of the linux forum.  I skipped over the note that said video didn't work and tried it anyway, of course it stuttered, threw the CPU usage up to 400% and wasn't watchable. 

What's the best alternative that would get video playback and use minimal wattage?  I recently gave up using TV in MC, so sticking to Windows is no longer necessary, but I'd really like a low power solution for the server.  I looked into the Intel NUCs a bit before (when I was thinking I needed to stick to Windows).  Is that platform really the best still?  Are all ARM processors not going to cut it?

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Lowest Power Usage Setup
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 10:56:00 pm »

Depending on quality, ARM might work. 

Panel does conversion but requires a server with enough power to do it.

Intel NUC's can do it, depending on the model.  They keep getting better.

astropuppy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 07:58:57 am »

Recently I went through a similar dilemma. Ended up using a Dell Inspiron 3050 Micro (Dell NUC) as a jriver client. Runs under debian stretch and works great.  Lower level NUCs do no cost that much more than arms after adding up all the parts.

tyler69

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 08:27:36 am »

Panel does conversion but requires a server with enough power to do it.

Could we get some specifics on this? For reference please see also https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,112983.msg786429.html#msg786429

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 09:27:38 am »

We don't have enough experience to provide more details.  You could do some testing.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 11:29:46 am »

Recently I went through a similar dilemma. Ended up using a Dell Inspiron 3050 Micro (Dell NUC) as a jriver client. Runs under debian stretch and works great.  Lower level NUCs do no cost that much more than arms after adding up all the parts.

Do you happen to have a kill-a-watt?  Curious what type of power consumption you typically get.  I really like the fact that the RPi pulls somewhere around 3w, but I know it also certainly doesn't have the horsepower to process video.  I currently have it setup running tvheadend to record TV via an HDHomeRun, and it seems to do really well at that, so I was hoping it would be able to serve a fairly basic TV show via JRiver at least.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 08:22:43 pm »

FYI - I went ahead and picked up a NUC5CPYH locally today for $100 and got it all setup with Win10.  Decided if I was going to go the Intel route, I may as well try to keep TV integrated with JRiver so I stuck with a prior Windows install.  My Kill-A-Watt is currently behind my main rack plug (NAS, switch, etc), so I can't run a quick test.  Will have to do that later.

astropuppy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 07:24:29 am »

Low (cpu) powered NUC's in general draw less than 20 watts under full load. I use to run windows/JRiver on my DELL NUC but got tried of the constant (win10) updates. I found it very frustrating to boot (win10) after 1 week or two of being powered off only to have MC behaving badly because of OS updates and malware processes running. After the cpu storm, MC ran fine. With Linux, I have music right now, as it should be.

For those that do not like/want to tinker with a linux install the Id is a very nice option especially now with the upgraded hardware offered. toslink is nice too.

I use MC for music only with my library files residing on a synology NAS in another room.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 02:56:56 pm »

I use to run windows/JRiver on my DELL NUC but got tried of the constant (win10) updates.

Totally agree.  I'd love to use Linux as my MC server OS, but the lack of TV support outside of Windows puts a hold on that.  I figured if I went the NUC route, I might as well suffer with Windows and get TV in JRiver.  I look forward to being able to go full Linux on the MC server (nudge nudge Jim :) )

astropuppy

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Lowest Power Usage Setup for Video
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 05:00:46 pm »

Hoyt,
A linux option would be to use silicondust tuner(s) with silicondust (linux) dvr software and point JRiver (Video) at the resulting video directories. Just an idea.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 09:17:27 pm »

Hoyt,
A linux option would be to use silicondust tuner(s) with silicondust (linux) dvr software and point JRiver (Video) at the resulting video directories. Just an idea.

Yeah, sorry I should clarify.  I want one device for JRiver to be on 24/7.  I had tvheadend running on a Pi and saving the ts files to a network drive, it worked great for the 2 weeks or so I used that.  I then put MC on that same Pi and audio worked great, but the Pi couldn't keep up to do any video serving.  So that meant I needed to put JRiver on something more powerful, I selected the NUC.  I could have put Linux on the NUC with JRiver and likely been fine doing video, but I'd still need something else to do TV.  I liked tvheadend, still have it running in case I need to fire something up and my Windows NUC craps out.  But having an all-in-one has advantages. 

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 03:11:12 pm »

regarding low power CPUs ... i was researching NAS ... and came arcross FreeNAS

in their forums/guides ... it was mentioned that unless you have specific constraints (like thermal envelope or available power supply) ... low power CPUs do not save you power

it was mention that current intel cpu enter low power state when not in use that consume same amount of power as equivalent low power models

under loads CPU power spike high, but as these much faster than low power model they complete their task fast and enter power saving mode ... while equivalent low power model will consume less power but take longer to complete task before entering power saving mode ... on average power consumption of low power cpu models is same as normal cpu

since thats sounds logical .. i am in process of getting E5 for main server instead of Xeon D
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 11:27:18 am »

I'm a fan of the ODROID SBC's, specifically the ODROID-XU4.

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 01:17:34 pm »

For a benchmark, I have a NUC6i3 SYH with 8 gb ram and a 128 gb m.2 ssd. I have used it as an MC server and currently as a client. It plays back full rate blu ray rips, hi res flac music and even DSDs without a glitch. It lives in my av rack in my lounge and I cannot hear the fan running. No special cooling involved.

Its done everything I have asked of it, the only thing Ive not tried is transcoding but I doubt that would be an issue either. I have run it 24/7 for many weeks without issue but now I allow it to sleep. Its running 64 bit Win 10 and 64 bit MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up