INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Differences between JRiver and DLNA Renderer both running on Linux  (Read 1904 times)

Facel

• World Citizen

What are the Plus (and or Minus) for running JRiver rather than a simple dlna renderer
on a light linux machine in the case you also have JRiver running as a media server on a
Windows PC, remotlly controlled by JRemote ?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Differences between JRiver and DLNA Renderer both running on Linux
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 12:13:25 pm »

What are the Plus (and or Minus) for running JRiver rather than a simple dlna renderer
on a light linux machine in the case you also have JRiver running as a media server on a
Windows PC, remotlly controlled by JRemote ?
A huge advantage is the you can play gaplessly, MC can play almost any format and sample rate and you can tune the abilities of MC on your lightweight machine to match the capabilities of any audio device you put on it.

Facel

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 02:43:16 pm »

Thanks bob for your answer.

To me a (normal /good) DLNA player (Renderer/endpoint) could play any format and any sample rate like MC does.

Your answer rise the fact that MC will play gaplessy, but a DLNA renderer/endpoint will not or could not.
That's effectivly a huge advantage for MC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 04:17:57 pm »

To me a (normal /good) DLNA player (Renderer/endpoint) could play any format and any sample rate ...
That's not the case.  DLNA requires just a few formats to be supported.  MC supports far more formats.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 04:59:19 pm »

Thanks bob for your answer.

To me a (normal /good) DLNA player (Renderer/endpoint) could play any format and any sample rate like MC does.

Your answer rise the fact that MC will play gaplessy, but a DLNA renderer/endpoint will not or could not.
That's effectivly a huge advantage for MC
As well as all of the tools you can apply to the output using MC's DSP studio. I'm doing that myself at home, tuning output for a specific set of speakers using an IdPi.

Facel

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 03:14:51 am »

That's not the case.  DLNA requires just a few formats to be supported.  MC supports far more formats.

Is this the case with ISO files for example ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up