INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting JRemote to JRiver MC23 on Raspberry Pi3  (Read 2041 times)

Grayson54

• Recent member
Connecting JRemote to JRiver MC23 on Raspberry Pi3
« on: January 24, 2018, 01:22:29 pm »

Bought a copy of JRiver MC23 for Linux, installed it on my Raspberry Pi3 (Despian Stretch) and was even able to get it to attach to my main music library (on a network-attached Win 10 machine running MC23 for Windows).   My challenge now is getting JRemote to find it.

It repeatedly tells me something is not connecting right. My password is wrong, or user name is wrong.  Or can't find the installation.

The problem is that I cannot figure out what combination of username and password to use.  The one inside MC23? Or the one part of Despian access?  I have the right Access Code, it seems to accept that, but then it denies based on the username/password not being correct.  Since I know both usernames & passwords, I suspect something else is not setup correctly.

Is there a link to a discussion, or can someone tell me, how to setup JRemote for access to MC23 on Raspberry?

Thanks,
G
SYSTEM:  JRiver 23 Media Center for PC  ///  PC: PowerSpec B724 running Win 10  ///  PreAmp/DAC: Classe CP-800  ///  Amp: Carver M200  ///  Spkrs: Totem Fires/JL F110 subs.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Connecting JRemote to JRiver MC23 on Raspberry Pi3
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 02:07:40 pm »

Is Authentication set on the server?

Is Media Network on?

Firewall?

The wiki may be helpful.  Start at Media Network.

Grayson54

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 08:48:56 pm »

Media Networks was the answer. I did not have the Authentication set correctly.  As soon as I entered the proper credentials, it came up quickly!  Thanks!
SYSTEM:  JRiver 23 Media Center for PC  ///  PC: PowerSpec B724 running Win 10  ///  PreAmp/DAC: Classe CP-800  ///  Amp: Carver M200  ///  Spkrs: Totem Fires/JL F110 subs.

Grayson54

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 10:11:23 pm »

One last question. Got it all setup, connected to my stereo through the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, using its RCA plug outputs.   The sound is great, but I cannot use my receiver’s remote to control volume.  It appears to need JRemote to change the JRiver MC23 directly. Is there a setting in the system to allow volume to be controlled elsewhere?  The JRemote will control volume, but it appears to come through the cables full blast!  Anyway to change that?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 07:11:30 am »

On the Pi, try changing MC's volume setting to "Internal" in Audio settings.

Grayson54

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 03:28:54 pm »

That did it!  Sounds great on my system.  I am using the HiFiBerry DAC+ with RCA cables to transmit.  I am wondering if I could use the HDMI directly in from the Raspberry/JRiver box, or do I still need a DAC to do the translating?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 04:17:04 pm »

You can certainly use the Pi's HDMI port to connect to a receiver or sound bar or anything that accepts HDMI in.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 04:49:42 pm »

It is a selectable output in MC.

As far as I can tell the HDMI out is limited to 2 channel / 48KHz, anything above 48 is converted on the fly.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

Grayson54

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 05:03:59 pm »

Looks like I will stay with the HiFiBerry DAC+ and RCA cables.   

I would like to thank everyone on the Forum that has helped me on this project.  It has come to a successful conclusion, with JRiver/JRemote powering my Raspberry Pi3 to a much better sound in my room.  I was using an Apple TV to front end my music before.  The sound quality here is SO MUCH better.  Though, it was a little bit of a DIY project, venturing into areas where I had no previous experience.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up