INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 23 and Airplay  (Read 3187 times)

VacuumTubes

• Recent member
MC 23 and Airplay
« on: February 02, 2018, 03:04:34 am »

I wasn't having any luck getting MC to work over Airplay from my iMac, despite Airplay working fine in iTunes. After reading quite a few messages about using Airplay with MC, it seemed that I would either need to buy additional software or just forget about it.

But just out of curiosity, I went into Playback Options, and under the Device Settings for Core Audio, clicked to clear the checkmark next to "Open device with exclusive access". I then selected my Samsung wireless speaker as the Airplay device in System Preferences > Sound and clicked Play. To my great surprise, music from MC 23 was now playing over Airplay to the speaker. Problem solved!

Could it really be that simple? It appears so, as I changed the same settings on the Mac mini and now it too would play from MC via Airplay, something it had refused to do previously.

Is this strictly a fluke? Is there some reason that "exclusive access" appears to be set On by default? In any case I am now quite happy to be able to use this, even if it does mean less than the highest fidelity.

Hardware:
iMac 27" 5K (late 2014)
Mac mini (late 2012)
Samsung DA-E751 Wireless Speaker

Both Macs running OSX 10.13.3 and MC 23.0.83

VoiceCoil

• Recent member
Re: MC 23 and Airplay
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 04:52:33 pm »

I'm glad to hear that you have success with AirPlay even at this measure. I'm new at this and have been trying out MC23 and discovered only intermittent success with wireless operation on Airplay into my Airport Express. They say it's not compatible. (?) I'm hoping that the SW engineers will make this work for good for every Mac user to take advantage of all that MC has to offer.

MacBook Pro Retina Mid 2012
macOS 10.13.3 High Sierra

VacuumTubes

• Recent member
Re: MC 23 and Airplay
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 03:09:09 pm »

Update: Clearing. the check mark from "Open device with exclusive access" continues to work through MacOS upgrades to the current 10.13.6.

However, every time I upgrade Media Center, I have to go back and clear the setting again.  There's been no answer as to why this setting is "on" by default, so I suppose I have little choice. It's only an annoyance, but I don't understand why it is necessary at all.

Late 2012 Mac mini
Late 2014 27" 5k iMac
Both running MacOS 10.13.6 and MC 24.0.42
Pages: [1]   Go Up