INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media server / Library / Synchronisation / Media Players => best practices  (Read 1436 times)

Facel

• World Citizen

I have been using JRiver for years and I am reconsidering my media architecture.

Initially I was using a Nas to store media (Audio, movies, photos) files + JRiver Library, and I have 2 Windows PC with JRiver accessing the Nas (Library + media Files).

My new architecture will be
      a windows PC only to run JRiver as media server,

Some Media Player/Renderer that would be either:
            Linux device with JRiver
            Windows PC + JRiver
            DLNA device

Regarding the file location my choice would
  => Library + Audio Files directly stored on the PC-Media Server
  => Photo + video stored on the NAS

Do you have any advice or remarks about this architecture

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media server / Library / Synchronisation / Media Players => best practices
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 12:15:34 pm »

I had exact the same architecture like you NAS + 2 x PC accessing the NAS.  I have replaced the NAS with a Win 10 Pro based Server with a server like motherboard with ECC RAM and iKVM to have completely remote management together with Windows Remote Desktop. I have 2 x 8TB (configured as mirrored windows storage space) + 2x 10 TB Disk Space. The 2 x PC's are configured as client to the LS Server. I have all images, video and audio stored on the MC based server now.

In general I am totally satisfied with my decision replacing my NAS with a MC and windows 10 pro based server.

What does not work:
-My LG TV supports only 16 bit audio through DLNA-> that's why I decided to keep my HTPC in the living room ( i have a lot mkv's with 24/32 bit audio). I had not recognized this during my planning phase.I wanted originally push all video contents (mkv, mp4) to the TV directly from the server.
-For the Linux device check if your audio drivers are supported on linux. (I have Windows because Devilaet AIR is supported only on win 10 and macOS)

You find a picture (pdf) of my environment in the thread:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,113921.0.html
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

Facel

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 03:15:23 am »

Hi Manfred

Thanks for your feedback regarding your new architecture, your link to your post "Play file from Server to Client - How does MC work?"
is also really interesting.

I am still on my testing phase ... and observing the behaviour of my new architecture.

My first issue is to get JRiver properly running on my Linux device (USBridge) which is connected to a Teac UD 501 (Dac)...
I can use it as a DLNA renderer only (and its correctlyt playing my High Rez Audio files in that configuration) but when I run JRiver
in order to play as an MC Client, I have a 320 kb only resolution (on JRiver) and 48 Khz on the Teac ..

Regarding the video I have not started any test yet

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 07:04:39 am »

If you're using DLNA, the server can convert.  Check the server settings for conversion.

Facel

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 02:42:54 am »

No I am not using DLNA.
It is configured as a client of The Media server's Library.

I have noticed 2  strange things
  -the Output format in DSP Studio has set every sample rate above 48 Khz at 48 Khz
  - I do not see my Linux device (JRiver client) in JRemote ?

I can play audio file in a client/server mode only, only through the JRiver app installed on the Linux device
(I can't use Remote as I my Linux device does not appears )

Pages: [1]   Go Up