INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues with Convert Format and Volume Leveling  (Read 1487 times)

nachocheese70

• Recent member
Issues with Convert Format and Volume Leveling
« on: February 23, 2018, 11:55:41 pm »

I've used multiple versions of Media Center and could never get this to work right, so I had been using a convoluted way to convert files. However, I'm finally posting this here to see if JRiver MC can finally get this right.

I want to be able to convert format my FLAC files to FLAC files, but with some form of ReplayGain and PEQ written in (and maybe even HRTF), for headphone listening on a device that doesn't support RG.

I can never get Volume Leveling to work right when using Convert Format.  Even if I convert a whole album (so Album view in Audio, and then right click album cover), the created FLAC files all have volume leveling done per song.  For example, take a classic music album like LSO Haydn An Imaginary Orchestral Journey with very significant and intentional volume difference between tracks.

If I analyze the original files (using Foobar and RG), I can see swings of about +0.83 to +20 db, with an album average of +5 db.  After using Convert Format and analyzing the new files using Foobar/RG again, I see about the same album average of +5 db, but then every track is now about +5 db.  Note, if I listen to the converted album, I can now clearly hear significant jumps in volume between tracks in gapless listening mode that is not there in original.

The only way I can ever seem to get this to work is use MC to Convert Format (with all DSP except turning off Volume Leveling).  I then use Foobar to write RG info to the converted files.  I then use dBpoweramp to batch convert the FLAC files again, only activating the DSP write RG album info to file.  When this is done, I get all of my albums about the same general volume levels, so that going from classical to modern pop (that's been compressed to hell and boosted until near clipping on the original) I don't need to touch the volume on my pre-amp.  But this still preserves the inter-track sound variations that especially critical to classical music.

Note, when I play the album in JRiver MC with the DSP Volume Leveling turned on, it works fine.  It's able to match album volume level but keep inter-track volume differences.  It's only with Convert Format it doesn't work right.

Is there a way to do this all in JRiver MC?

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Issues with Convert Format and Volume Leveling
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 02:54:31 am »

I don't think conversions support anything other than track-based leveling.
The reason you're seeing +5dB is because the leveling target for R128 is lower than ReplayGain, at -23 dB. I thought the default target for ReplayGain was -14dB though, so I would have expected a larger difference.
Media Center uses R128 for analysis, but also writes offset ReplayGain tags which correspond to those values - so other tools may produce different results (R128 analysis is more advanced than ReplayGain).

nachocheese70

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 03:00:30 am »

I don't think conversions support anything other than track-based leveling.
The reason you're seeing +5dB is because the leveling target for R128 is lower than ReplayGain, at -23 dB. I thought the default target for ReplayGain was -14dB though, so I would have expected a larger difference.
Media Center uses R128 for analysis, but also writes offset ReplayGain tags which correspond to those values - so other tools may produce different results (R128 analysis is more advanced than ReplayGain).

That makes sense. I hope MC changes the Convert feature to include at least the same track or album function as in normal play mode. Or even better, the option for auto like it currently has, plus force album or track volume leveling.

nachocheese70

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 11:01:34 am »

For now, if MC own Volume Leveling doesn’t support any album leveling, then can anyone recommend a good DSP/VST that can read the existing album ReplayGain (or prefer R128), and apply automatically? So far google only provides programs that will write info to tag, or music players that will read the info. Thanks.

nachocheese70

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 09:05:08 pm »

Just checking if MC 24 finally allows Convert feature Volume Leveling to level by album?
Pages: [1]   Go Up