INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Blu-ray Menu playback support  (Read 53029 times)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: NEW: Blu-ray Menu playback support
« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2019, 05:25:58 pm »

Its certainly possible that they use one big m2ts file for all episodes. You should however be able to pick the proper MPLS playlist files and play those to get seperate episodes, I would hope, instead of trying to play the m2ts directly.

As an alternative, you can always rip to MKV with MakeMKV, which should seperate into distinct episodes as well.

you remind me that i need to test Fringe season 1.   the first couple seasons used one m2ts file for all episodes on each disc and makemkv at the time could not separate them out.  i had to use mkvtoolsnix to separate them out by timecode.   strange.   want to see how MC handles the full BD menu as fox authored the first couple seasons in the US that way.

the latest version of MC 25.0.17 also has no issues with playback of extras on my xfiles discs now.  used to be the audio was normal but video was sped up.  rest of menu playback was fine.    all is well now.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
Issues playing some UHD Bluray titles with menus
« Reply #201 on: April 08, 2019, 07:10:44 am »

I'm having issues playing some UHD Bluray titles with the menus (using D3D11 copyback, as native doesn't work with menus). These are ripped as BD Folders directly from my original discs, usually using AnyDVDHD.

It seems that many (if not all) Paramount titles are stuck on the first screen, that ask for a language selection without allowing any way of selecting it (arrows not active, bring up the MC menu instead).

Examples: A Quiet Place UK, Allied UK

Another common issue, a black screen either right away or after a first a/v logo. This seems to be an issue with 20th Century Fox titles.

Examples: Alien Covenant UK, The Revenant US

Are these well-known issues or is it just me? Anything that can be done to resolve these?

If I enable main title instead of menus, the main title plays fine for all these discs.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #202 on: April 08, 2019, 07:55:14 am »

OK, I've started debugging on these, and my first step was to re-rip the disks using DVDFab instead of AnyDVDHD.

I started with The Revenant, which played immediately, without any issues.

So I compared the rips and found that 4 files .properties files were missing in the AnyDVDHD full disc rip, all in the BDMV/JAR folder:

In 88888, the files customGPRReset.properties and startup.properties
In 99999, the files disc.properties and title.properties.

As soon as I copied the missing files in the AnyDVDHD rip, the menus were working fine.

I assume re-ripping the other titles with DVDFab (or with a fixed version of AnyDVDHD) will correct the other titles with this same issue (A Quiet Place for example).

So I guess this one is more for Redfox than for JRiver, I'll post a link to this post in their forum.

I'll investigate the other issue with Allied/Alien Covenant and will let you know.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #203 on: April 08, 2019, 08:09:37 am »

I never use any of such tools for actual ripping. I let them decrypt the disc, and then use Windows Explorer to copy it to a place of my choosing. "Ripping" is just copying after decryption anyway.
Or are they even missing on the disc when AnyDVDHD decrypts it on the fly?

In any case, properties files missing could easily explain any kind of playback failure with BD-J.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #204 on: April 08, 2019, 08:12:56 am »

I never use any of such tools for actual ripping. I let them decrypt the disc, and then use Windows Explorer to copy it to a place of my choosing. "Ripping" is just copying after decryption anyway.
Or are they even missing on the disc when AnyDVDHD decrypts it on the fly?

Sure, but if you do this you don't get the useful info that AnyDVDHD provides, for example the list of valid playlists in disc.inf when ripping a title with playlist obfuscation. That's why I prefer to use these. Usually AnyDVDHD is very reliable, I'm sure they'll fix this soon it it's from them.

I had the same result with Allied, missing .properties with AnyDVDHD, issue resolved when copying the missing files (five this time, from three folders also in the JAR folder) from a fresh DVDFab rip.

I'll let Redfox know after re-ripping with the latest AnyDVDHD in case this has already been solved with a more recent build, but as I've had to re-rip all my collection recently I doubt it. I'll also test if the .properties files are missing when decrypting.

Thanks!

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #205 on: April 08, 2019, 08:20:13 am »

Just to confirm that the .properties files are present when AnyDVDHD decrypts. I just repaired another rip by opening the original disc with AnyDVDHD, copying the missing files to the existing rip, and the menus work fine now. I have about 50 rips to repair, but it only takes a few minutes that way, as re-ripping is unnecessary.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #206 on: April 08, 2019, 08:34:50 am »

Sure, but if you do this you don't get the useful info that AnyDVDHD provides, for example the list of valid playlists in disc.inf when ripping a title with playlist obfuscation. That's why I prefer to use these. Usually AnyDVDHD is very reliable, I'm sure they'll fix this soon it it's from them.

Sure you do. The file is created on decryption, if you put a disc in the driver and let AnyDVDHD process it, then the disc.inf file will look like its on the optical disc - but AnyDVDHD is basically putting it there virtually.

So if I just take Explorer and copy the content of that disc to my HDD, then it should include all that information. Plus properties files. :)
But shrug, I'm old fashioned. I never saw a need for such a ripping function if copying with Explorer is all I need.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #207 on: April 08, 2019, 08:43:18 am »

You are correct, I just saw this :)

Well, I guess I like the ability to choose simply between ripping to folders or ripping to ISOs (which is needed for 3D blurays).

I think the only case for which ripping through the tools can be useful is error correction. I often have read errors from discs (even new) and the error correction process of AnyDVDHD is more robust that explorer, as it gives you choices (retry, ignore, etc).

But I agree it's not necessary if all goes well. :)

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #208 on: April 08, 2019, 09:06:55 am »

OK, just to close this. I've tried to re-rip one of the offending titles with AnyDVDHD, and all the .properties files are present. So either this bug was fixed very recently by Redfox, or I have no idea why these files were missing in the first place.

Anyway, hopefully this will be useful to others if I'm not the only one experiencing these weird issues.

Sorry for wasting your time as clearly whatever the reason these issues were not JRiver related.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #209 on: April 08, 2019, 03:17:25 pm »

FYI ripping 3DBD to folder structure works fine (if you don't mind the increase in folder size vs ISO as the L R eyes are no longer interleaved).

Also I just use MC's rip function when decrypting with RedFox or DeUHD as it is a one step rip, import, tag.  Note.  Older versions of MC prior to BD Menues did not copy all the root folders.
JRiver CEO Elect

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #210 on: April 08, 2019, 03:20:33 pm »

Still waiting for MKV menu support.   ;D  LMAO!!!

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #211 on: April 08, 2019, 05:14:44 pm »

FYI ripping 3DBD to folder structure works fine (if you don't mind the increase in folder size vs ISO as the L R eyes are no longer interleaved).

Also I just use MC's rip function when decrypting with RedFox or DeUHD as it is a one step rip, import, tag.  Note.  Older versions of MC prior to BD Menues did not copy all the root folders.

Thanks but the last time I tried BD Folders used twice as much space as BD ISO with 3D Blurays, so not an option for me.

I like to rip separately, then I use MyMovies to collect and save metadata, then JRiver is set to auto-import the new titles with metadata from monitored folders with automatic tag.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #212 on: April 08, 2019, 05:17:03 pm »

Still waiting for MKV menu support.   ;D  LMAO!!!

Some misguided people keep trying to push something like that into MKV, but rest assured, even if that happens, I will never support it.
Technically it even has menu support based on terrible DVD technology, but its best to fully ignore that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #213 on: April 08, 2019, 06:17:03 pm »

Some misguided people keep trying to push something like that into MKV, but rest assured, even if that happens, I will never support it.
Technically it even has menu support based on terrible DVD technology, but its best to fully ignore that.

Oh good lord.  It was 100% a joke!!!  I don't even know what good a menu is for MKV.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #214 on: April 09, 2019, 04:11:23 am »

Oh well, I've been embedding my UHD by chapter in PDF containers and adding a hyperlink to the menu on the first page.  Still waiting for MC support.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #215 on: June 20, 2019, 05:45:19 am »

Hi Hendrik - Very happy with the BD/UHD support, it all just works, though I notice there has been lots of activity on the libbluray git over the last few months but don't know if any of this makes much of a difference for MC?
JRiver CEO Elect

MisthaLu

« Reply #216 on: June 28, 2019, 02:44:38 am »

Hello all,

I've just signed up here to post this. I never knew about JRiver Media Center, despite having done extensive searches for software media players that supports BD-J. I have searched for these players in order to list them as supported players for my BD-J projects.
Most of the activity you see on github about libbluray is my doing.
I'm a sparetime hobby BD-J developer, and therefor use software players a lot for testing. Primarily VLC but also Kodi.
I have ported an old J2ME game of mine to BD-J and also created "8-bit Memoirs"; a diskmag-like Blu-ray eBook. Currently working on my 2nd BD-J game.
(BD-J homebrew games are fun to make, because they run on PS3 + PS4 + XB1 from the same disc).

I send a lot of feedback to the devs of VLC, Kodi and libbluray, and I'll be happy to do the same for JRiver Media Center, provided I can have a Linux version for free to test on.
My BD-J Xlets are nice for testing because they're free, legal, small in size and unencrypted. My BD-J Xlets are also tested on a lot of different hardware players to make sure they run on the real deal - so you can count on them staying within specs.

Here are some general points I have also posted to VLC and Kodi devs:
  • According to Blu-ray specs, all Blu-ray players must have a POPUP MENU button. This seems to be overlooked by most software media players. The POPUP MENU button is not the same as the TOP MENU button (which is called MENU on a DVD remote control). A Blu-ray remote control has both a TOP MENU button and a POPUP MENU button.
    The POPUP MENU button usually used to bring back the menu while the movie is playing. KeyCode for POPUP MENU is 461.
  • A BD-J Xlet can request to use certain keys on the keyboard. MC should check this, and give up any native shortcuts there might be for this key, to the Xlet if it requets to use this key.
  • Some media players slow down FPS tremendously if no video is playing. But for a Blu-ray, an Xlet may still be running - either make a check if an Xlet is running or else don't slow down FPS at all.

Other stuff
  • libbluray 1.2.0 will have mouse support and better key controls (separate KEY_PRESSED and KEY_RELEASED events) - so it would be a good idea to add this in MC too.
  • "Funky Fresh" is a cool BD-J scene demo that can also be used for testing.
  • Same goes for "Metal Skin Slidetro".

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: June 28, 2019, 07:17:07 am »

Thanks for the information. Our Blu-ray support is based on libbluray, so eventually such improvements would also reach us, although we won't be updating our copy on a daily basis.

To some of the more concrete points:
- We support both menu keys, and you can access the functionality through various means, either by mapping the second menu key to a remote control key, or a keyboard key, or use it through the context menu. Typical MCE remotes don't have such a key, so a default mapping is hard to provide for us. Instructions for mapping the key are in the first post of this very thread.
- We try to do our best to detect interactive Xlets and give them keyboard focus as appropriate.
- If an interactive xlet is drawing on top of a static background, we don't use a fixed "FPS" as such but just redraw whenever the xlet updates the graphics plane. Not sure how well this would work with a game, but I imagine it should be OK.

On a final note, unfortunately our Blu-ray support is currently limited to Media Center for Windows. The feature has not been ported to Linux or Mac yet, because we use two different video engines for Windows and Linux/Mac.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

MisthaLu

« Reply #218 on: June 28, 2019, 10:47:55 am »

Our Blu-ray support is currently limited to Media Center for Windows. The feature has not been ported to Linux or Mac yet, because we use two different video engines for Windows and Linux/Mac.

I see. Slightly off-topic then, but: I don't suppose you know if Media Center runs on Linux with Wine?

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #219 on: September 18, 2019, 09:27:25 am »

Perhaps it is more correct to turn my problem https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,120578.msg845797.html#msg845797
 here: is it correct that manually setting in video settings my receiver as audio renderer the film stops in menu mode activated?

In essence it fails to hook up audio in bitstream mode.

If it is correct I put my soul in peace.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2019, 12:07:16 pm »

Custom configuration is not really supported, especially if you change out the audio renderer you take away a lot of power from Media Center.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

audioriver

« Reply #221 on: June 07, 2020, 10:22:53 am »

Any updates on audio and subtitle selection/switching directly during playback?  :)
Windows 10 Pro x64
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up