INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stop TheaterView from minimizing to Windows system tray  (Read 1196 times)

rustynail

• Recent member
Stop TheaterView from minimizing to Windows system tray
« on: March 02, 2018, 11:21:36 am »

New to JRiver and so far have been impressed with its functionality.  One thing is making it not user friendly (especially for the wife).  JR will minimize when in theater view.  I am running a HTPC 24/7 with home automation software and JR.  HTPC is connected via HDMI to an 8x8 matrix switcher for distribution to several TVs.  All control of JR is done via Infrared remotes in each room.  Have JR set to start in theater view.  This works great but when a user goes to a sub menu (i.e.: Movies\Name) and leaves it there, in an hour or two JR will minimize to the windows system tray.  Is there a way to keep JR from minimizing?

Thanks in advance for any help

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Stop TheaterView from minimizing to Windows system tray
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 12:27:42 pm »

I have never seen theater view go away like that.  I use theater view almost exclusively, and sometimes I let it sit for a day or more, and it is always there when I come back.

Are you SURE that you don't have something closing JRiver, which (assuming Media Center Server is activated) will make it look like it minimized to the tray.

rustynail

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 07:40:27 pm »

I may not have explained my problem correctly.  The main menu for Theater View will stay up 24/7.The problem is when a user selects "Movie" then "Name" and the movie titles are displayed.  It is at this screen that after a couple of hours, the JRiver program minimizes and displays the windows screen.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 08:28:35 pm »

Maybe a drive or NAS drive is going to sleep?

rustynail

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 03:55:29 pm »

Maybe a drive or NAS drive is going to sleep?

Thanks,  problem fixed. Didn't realize that Windows 10 by default sleeps the  C: SSD . Thought it was just turning off the data drives.   Is there a way to selectively spin down drives  with Windows ? My configuration is C: SSD (OS and programs), D: 8TB (data), E:8TB (data).
Would like to not have the data drives up 24/7.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 06:42:40 pm »

I leave Theatre View in that state all the time, and until recently I always allowed my HTPC to sleep, with the drives sleeping well before the rest of the PC. What you are seeing is a MC crash.

I suggest that you shut down the Media Server component of MC, which must be running as you see something in the system tray after the main program crash, and then turn on logging and leave MC Theatre View in a submenu that causes the problem, and wait for it to crash. Then look at the previous log included in the log zip file to see if there is any obvious reason for the crash.

I don't know of any way to selectively stop the SSD from sleeping, but I would be very surprised if the SSD sleep state was the root cause of the problem you are seeing. Unless, maybe, you are using MC Clients for each TV and the Client is calling on the MC Server when the SSD is asleep. But even then, unlikely. I can lock up the MC Server from my Client if I am doing lots of unusual testing or starting and stopping lots of media quickly, but I can't crash the MC Server doing that. It just locks up and stops responding.

BTW, do you have all connected TVs playing the same thing, and as you are using Infrared remote in each room, do you have an IR receiver in each room that is connected back to the server? Or do you have a MC Client such as a NUC or similar for each TV? Or are you using a DLNA Client on each TV to connect to the MC Server, and hence you are actually using the TV's DLNA interface to pull content from the server?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up