INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 23 hangs every night  (Read 1448 times)

mistergiles

• Recent member
MC 23 hangs every night
« on: March 20, 2018, 05:45:54 am »

I'm running MC23 64 bit on Windows 10, and for the last few weeks the program fails to respond when I try using it for the first time each day.  It works fine each evening (it is regularly used for TV recording), but the following day it has stopped working.  I have to force a re-start, and sometimes re-start the PC.  I have tried re-installing, and even did a clean re-install of Windows, but the problem persists.  Any suggestions on how to track the problem?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 23 hangs every night
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 07:18:02 am »

When it stops, what is the behavior?  Is the screen display there?  Is the mouse cursor visible? 

Antivirus?

Check for an error message behind the screen.

Turn on Logging (see the wiki for instructions) and look at the bottom of the log.

mistergiles

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 09:03:15 am »

The screen is still displayed (assuming that's how I left it) but the mouse cursor is stuck as a rotating circle and won't respond to any input.  I have to use Task Manager to close the program.  There are no error messages on screen.

The only anti virus I use is Windows Defender, and I've previously followed the guide to "taming" Defender. 

I've tried closing MC at the end of each day, so just the media server is running, but it still hangs when I try to launch MC the following day.

I will turn on logging and see what it shows after the next crash

mistergiles

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 04:21:31 am »

The issue seemed to resolve itself for a couple of weeks, but the same problem is back again - every morning I check & MC has hung.  However, I have a big problem with the logging.  I turned this on as suggested, but the log file is either not created (is overwritten when it crashes and is re-started) and the previous log file (when there is one) is massive - about 800MB!  It won't open with the usual programs as the file size is too big, so I can't review it to see what's going on.  Any suggestions?  And why is the log file so big?

mistergiles

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 03:44:06 pm »

Finally managed to get a log file that wasn't enormous.  Does the attached help?
Pages: [1]   Go Up