INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio drops out periodically [solved]  (Read 5533 times)

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
Audio drops out periodically [solved]
« on: April 05, 2018, 11:01:34 pm »

Hi all - I've developed an audio problem over the past few weeks.  I haven't changed anything on my macbook pro over that time, though there may have been OS updates. 

There isn't much to tell about how and when it happens, it's every few minutes (I don't think I've heard 10 minutes of uninterrupted audio since this started) but seems to be fairly random... Not necessarily when I'm doing other tasks, and even happens following a reboot and when activity monitor shows that all should be well (I have been keeping it open hoping for a clue).  Seems to happen with a variety of file types & bitrates.

I have tried the following:
- Audio Device settings: increased buffering to 500 and then 1000 ms (no dice)
- tried the three settings under hardware buffering (nope)
- tried exclusive mode on and off (nada)
- Under audio, I have tried the different options for loading into memory (I currently have it on "load full file not decoded" but it's not working consistently)
- I have prebuffering cranked up to 10 seconds (still getting the cutouts)

It's quite frustrating, any ideas? 

ballpein

• Recent member
Re: Audio drops out periodically
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 11:11:00 pm »

Do other media players drop out on your Mac, or just MC?

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 11:17:47 pm »

The only one I use semi-regularly (besides MC) is google play through chrome.  I usually turn it on when I'm tired of the drop outs or if people are over - I don't want to subject guests to my poor audio experience.

It works flawlessly. 

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 11:19:21 pm »

Also, for what it's worth - all of my audio files are on a local spinning drive. 

ballpein

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 12:15:10 am »

Well, I would grab a free player like vine or vlc, just to rule out a Mac/osx problem.

In MC, I'd want to try a default state.  Easiest way to do that is to switch over to a (new, unused) guest account - you should be able to fire up a nice fresh version of MC from there - play back some files and see what happens.

If it starts to look like a Mac issue, the usual questions:

What sort of Mac are you on?  Are you using an interface or dac of some kind, or just straight out of the headphone port?  wired or wifi audio?  Any hdmi devices connected to your Mac?  Does Activity Monitor show any unusual memory or disk activity?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 06:33:39 am »

Hi all - I've developed an audio problem over the past few weeks.  I haven't changed anything on my macbook pro over that time, though there may have been OS updates.   
Are you sure nothing changed?

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 09:42:26 am »

Well, I would grab a free player like vine or vlc, just to rule out a Mac/osx problem.

In MC, I'd want to try a default state.  Easiest way to do that is to switch over to a (new, unused) guest account - you should be able to fire up a nice fresh version of MC from there - play back some files and see what happens.

If it starts to look like a Mac issue, the usual questions:

What sort of Mac are you on?  Are you using an interface or dac of some kind, or just straight out of the headphone port?  wired or wifi audio?  Any hdmi devices connected to your Mac?  Does Activity Monitor show any unusual memory or disk activity?

Great ideas, I'll try VLC for a few hours.  Then a guest account with MC. 

I'm on an older Macbook Pro, but it runs great.  Intel Core i5, 8GB of ram - not a ton but should be (and was for years) plenty for audio.  I used to wirelessly transfer audio to a chromecast audio unit, but since this has started I've switched to the headphone jack to eliminate that variable.  No HDMI/displayport devices plugged in.  Activity monitor never shows anything being stressed... memory usage is somewhere around 50%, CPU and disk activity go up and down but audio problems happen at highs and lows of those activities. 

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 09:48:19 am »

Are you sure nothing changed?

Hi Jim.  Only as sure as I can be - like I said, there were likely OS and other software updates over the last few weeks or month.  There was a big one that ran last night for instance.  I'm running MC 23.0.103. 

I haven't made any software or hardware changes of any sort.  I really only use Chrome and MC on this macbook.  Sometimes Photos.  In the background Google Backup and Sync, Dropbox, 1Password, and Airfoil run.  Airfoil isn't active, but I will try killing it to see if that helps. 

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 09:53:07 am »

A few more observations:

- most of the time the audio dropouts are very short, 1 second or maybe slightly less.
- I can re-start a song and play through the area that had just caused trouble and it will play well.
- Sometimes there is a "studder" in the UI during a dropout - the progress bar will pause ever so slightly and then jump ahead.  Not all the time though.

I know inconsistent problems are a pain to troubleshoot, I'll give ballpein's suggestions (hopefully tonight) a try and let you know if they reveal anything else. 

Thanks for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 10:39:44 am »

What type of files?

Disable memory playback.

Try smaller buffers.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 03:55:49 pm »

What type of files?

Disable memory playback.

Try smaller buffers.

Thanks - I'll try this first this evening.  I'll do the recommended 100ms & 6s buffers.  The files are a mix of mp3 and flac (with the odd exception).  I've noticed the problem with both formats.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 05:57:09 pm »

Oh man, those pre-set values (100ms & 6s buffer, no memory playback) are way worse.  Hopefully that's a clue. 

Here's a short, shaky video clip of some poorly-played Sun Ra with the changes Jim suggested:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/w8C1lK4dWz6MH89p1

And here's the same file, played on Clementine (which I'd never heard of but is a nice little player):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hjaSnZQ0LmhkJkxl2

This is a VBR mp3 playing from my local drive.  Is there any other info that might be useful?

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 06:30:06 pm »

I don't know if this help or hinders, but I am using MC23 windows and have occasionally noticed the same thing, but coud not determine if I had badly ripped CD's or something else. It seemed that if I replayed the disc it did not act the same. Usually I just re-ripped the disc (if I can find it) to make sure.

Regards, Harroun

DJLegba

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 06:52:09 pm »

It's possible your hard drive is beginning to fail. Try moving some files to a USB stick or network device (using Rename, Move & Copy) and playing from there.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 08:22:29 pm »

It's possible your hard drive is beginning to fail. Try moving some files to a USB stick or network device (using Rename, Move & Copy) and playing from there.

Interesting theory!  I'll try it now...

[edit] update: still dropping audio.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 11:33:12 am »

SO!  I made a new account, logged in, and holy smokes - no audio dropouts. 

So I guess there's SOMETHING messing with MC in the background.  Maybe I need to make myself a new account and start fresh. 

Odd that other players function OK, but this is an easy fix so I think I'll just go with it.  Thanks for the help!

kwingylee

• Recent member
Re: Audio drops out periodically [solved]
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 03:55:11 pm »

Posted by: Peter_T
« on: April 07, 2018, 11:33:12 am »

Quote from: ballpein on April 06, 2018, 12:15:10 am

SO!  I made a new account, logged in, and holy smokes - no audio dropouts.

So I guess there's SOMETHING messing with MC in the background.  Maybe I need to make myself a new account and start fresh.

Odd that other players function OK, but this is an easy fix so I think I'll just go with it.  Thanks for the help!"
Peter_T or anyone, can someone walk me through this? How do I start a new account and still keep the licenses that I paid for?

Pages: [1]   Go Up