INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC remote skip forward/skip back buttons stop working  (Read 1466 times)

CoteRotie

• Recent member
MC remote skip forward/skip back buttons stop working
« on: April 06, 2018, 09:55:19 pm »

Hi- I'm a new JRiver Media Center user.

To start with, I'm just using JMC as a media server, and keeping Windows Media Center on Win 8.1 as my primary media center.

Everything works great, I have remote access to all my WMC recorded content, I can stream to JRemote, I have JMC's interface working well also, though at the moment I'm not using it.  Media server is set to start when Windows starts.

The only issue I'm having is that JRiver Media Server seems to break the skip forward and skip back keys on my Harmony remote acting as a WMC remote.  They stop working in WMC and even JMC once the Media Server starts.

My IR receiver is an HP infrared unit plugged in via USB.  All other remote buttons seem to work.  I did a search and I saw some other complaints about the skip buttons not working, but nothing exactly the same.

If anyone has any ideas or even suggestions on how to troubleshoot it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC remote skip forward/skip back buttons stop working
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 07:23:40 am »

Welcome to the forum.

There is a setting in MC's options that allows you to disable WMC when you're running MC.  There is a search window at the bottom of the options page.

CoteRotie

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 11:30:50 am »

Welcome to the forum.

There is a setting in MC's options that allows you to disable WMC when you're running MC.  There is a search window at the bottom of the options page.

Thanks Jim- My problem is actually the opposite.  I want to use Windows Media Center as my primary interface and JRiver as a media server only, at least to start with.  So I would want JRiver disabled, not WMC (except the media server).  It seems like whenever I have the JRiver media server running it somehow causes loss of the skip forward and back keys on my WMC remote.

CoteRotie

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 11:39:25 am »

If there is a background process called "Media Center 23" running, my skip forward/back buttons don't work in Windows Media Center.  If I kill that process they work again.  (The main JRiver application is closed).

I wonder if there's some configuration of remotes in JRiver that can make it ignore the WMC remote (or my Harmony version of it)?

UPDATE: Unchecking all the remote options in the main JRiver interface options section doesn't help.  Killing the Media Center 23 process immediately restores the remote functionality in Windows Media Center, but it also kills the media server functionality of JRiver.  I want these two things to co-exist.

Seems like the JRiver Media Center 23 process is somehow intercepting or not passing along the skip button commands.  Why just those 2 buttons?  Back to experiments.

Thanks,

John

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 01:30:40 pm »

Thanks Jim- My problem is actually the opposite.  I want to use Windows Media Center as my primary interface and JRiver as a media server only, at least to start with.  So I would want JRiver disabled, not WMC (except the media server).  It seems like whenever I have the JRiver media server running it somehow causes loss of the skip forward and back keys on my WMC remote.
I did understand that, but it's worth a try.

CoteRotie

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 02:17:49 pm »

I did understand that, but it's worth a try.

Oh, I see, yes definitely worth a try, though unfortunately it didn't work. 

Let me know if you have any other ideas, thanks,

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up