INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Idea: Share Public Link (for external playback or download)  (Read 2190 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Idea: Share Public Link (for external playback or download)
« on: April 10, 2018, 04:18:04 am »

I made a home video from my trip to Port Douglas last week.  All imported into MC and plays fine..... but I'd like to send a link to the others so they can play it.

Not being a fan of "Social Media" or wanting to put my content on something I don't control, I currently would:
1) Transocde a copy (so it is smaller)
2) Upload to my NextCloud instance
3) Once uploaded then Right Click --> share a link --> Email the link to them
4) They click on the link and could either play or download the file.

...or, why bother with a hosting service at all?  MC has most of the features already built in:
- Media Server Profiles for transocoding already exists
- Media Network Access all sorted
- Web Services engine already exists

... All we would need is the ability for MC to be able to generate a URL that can be shared and then use that link to either download or play the file.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Idea: Share Public Link (for external playback or download)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 06:46:46 am »

It's a good idea.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 06:04:43 pm »

You must have a good upload speed on your internet Nathan.

I have just 1Mbps upload, so probably couldn't stream a live video to anyone, and if they downloaded it would take some time.

But I do have unlimited data, so once the upload speed issue is fixed, if I still have unlimited data then, that would be a good idea.

Currently, I upload to one site at a snail's pace, then all the bandwidth issues etc. are Google's or Microsoft's.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 06:15:07 pm »

Panel and Gizmo can both convert video on the fly.  The actual conversion is done on the server, of course.  1 mb/second should be enough to get reasonable quality.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 08:09:03 pm »

Ah, so we would be talking about a Panel URL with some additional information to point to a specific video, for example. I assume that would open up Panel though, and allow a user to access other content? It would be good if it didn't, and constrained them to just that video.

In fact, I would like to be able to provide access to specific areas of Panel, for individuals who have the URL. That would be somewhat replicating what is available through the commercial providers, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc., but without exposing my content to the web in the same way. Specifically, I would like to share home videos of important stuff with remote family, and a few others. Dogs, Home Improvements, Trips, Motorcycle Rides, stuff like that, each in their own section (Album) in Panel.

Would you go that far?

Links to individual videos would be a good start though.  :D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 08:57:30 pm »

FYI - My upload is only 1.7Mbps but at some point I hope to get 40Mbps.  My data vol is unlimited.  The 1.7Mbps is not really an issue however as MC already lets you set the profile (well for Handhelds) that transcode the video to a Web Friendly stream (I think the options are Low, Med, High, and are something like .3 / .7 / 1.5Mbps respectively). 

At present I just want to share a link to a file and let MC do it's think to stream it out using High/Med/Low (or let it be downloaded as Original).  If this worked you could even use it to share Dumps etc back on these forums.  Zip it up, import it into MC as a Doc, share the link on the forum for the admins to grab.

JRiver CEO Elect

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 01:56:38 pm »

I really like this idea. in the wake of being able to trust the big players less and less these days and increases in bandwidth, this makes total sense for more private sharing.
Thanks!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 06:52:20 pm »

FYI - My upload is only 1.7Mbps but at some point I hope to get 40Mbps.  My data vol is unlimited.

Nice.... Telstra just updated their speeds over cable (for free).  Now at 115/5. 
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 08:06:57 pm »

Nice.... Telstra just updated their speeds over cable (for free).  Now at 115/5.

Very nice. Did they tell you they were going to do that, or just do it? Both the download and upload speeds?

I'm still on their 30/1Mbps and have received lots of data upgrades, now on unlimited, but speed increases for no extra cost would be very welcome.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 10:36:20 pm »

Your in luck, all Telstra HFC plans got it for free (for some reason they have not made much of a noise about it).  Just power cycle your cable modem.
- Cable-std plan goes from 30/1 to 50/5
- Cable- speed boost plan goes from 100/2 to 100/5 (I went from an actual of 115/1.6 to 115/5.2)
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 11:26:00 pm »

Well, look at that!

I am getting 57/5.2 now. Sweet. Thanks for the heads up.

Of course, once I am forced to the NBN it may be a different picture. But I'm happy with that for now.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 02:05:13 am »

bloody NBN

i'm on a 100/30.  on a good day i can get 30/15

it's a really neat idea this one is.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 02:24:40 am »

it's a really neat idea this one is.

;D - Now to use all of this upload bandwidth!
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 06:15:18 am »

I like this idea too, would also be nice to share photo albums with family this way, as I like to use MC to tag my photos.

R

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 10:27:06 pm »

Many thanks - now getting 122/5.  Modem hadn't been cycled in a while!

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 09:58:07 pm »

I'd love to be able to syncro-play a local version  of whatever is being streamed so that I can watch the video at the same time as the remote user. Would make it possible to watch a movie with someone over the Internet.

Cheers,
Doug

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 11:53:16 am »

+1 to this idea!  have loads of video of our family and would be great to share them this way with family and friends.  and frankly images too.

we are not users of social media either for likely similar reasons.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2019, 03:11:15 pm »

Just wanted to bump this idea.  Still think it would be great to be able to send a link to an external party that they could then play directly from your own MC Instance (so you don't have to upload to some host).
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2019, 05:38:35 pm »

Cloudplay probably has the framework to do this.  I've been thinking about using it for photos.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 04:52:39 pm »

I was more thinking of MC being able to generate a "Public Hash of the Item to Play", that is used to construct a URL that the existing JRiver Panel Web site could use, eg like:

https://jriver.com/panel/[Access Key]/[Hash of Item to Play]

and you would end up with a redirect like:
http://101.101.101.101:52199/Panel/[Hash of Item to Play]

It would need to ignore the Authentication for these hashed items (but no one will be able to "guess" the hash so it is still only be exposed with a link that could use it).... and we as the user could remove the hash from the Library for that item to turn off the sharing.

JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up