INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iTunes Playlist Import  (Read 7883 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
iTunes Playlist Import
« on: April 12, 2018, 10:43:59 am »

Just thought I could detail how playlist export and import from iTunes works with Media Center.

With iTunes, you can export your playlists by picking right-click > Export...

It will export to a text file.

Then you can drag that text file from Explorer into Media Center and it will import all the data and play nicely.

If you drop the playlist onto the "Playlists" node of the tree it will make a playlist from the drop.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

j.schmidt

Re: iTunes Playlist Import
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 01:48:17 pm »

When I right click on a playlist in iTunes I do not get the Export option.

What am I missing?

Do you need MC24 to import the data into media center. I am running MC23

SuperMum

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 02:05:10 am »

@j.schmidt, export is not available in iTunes from right-click of Playlists unfortunately (not very user-friendly of Apple, IMHO).
You must left-click the playlist you want to export (to select it), then from the menu bar at the top of the window, go to  File > Library > Export Playlist...

This answer is for the version I am running:  iTunes v12.7.5.9 on Windows 10.

SuperMum

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 02:24:51 am »

Any chance for a JRiver enhancement to import multiple (all) iTunes playlists at one time from iTunes Music Library.xml ?  All the playlists are in there.  They could be updated automatically with auto-sync.  At the moment, JRiver will only import single playlists.  If you try to import iTunes Music Library.xml as a playlist itself, you get one huge playlist called "iTunes Music Library" with everything in it (6000+ tracks in my case!)

I have a lot of iTunes playlists that I prefer to maintain in iTunes.  This is because a) I like to buy music and music videos from iTunes Store, so I will be continuing to use iTunes ongoing for that purpose and b) I sync my iTunes music to my iPhone so I want the playlists to be in iTunes.

My use case is:
1. buy music in iTunes Store
2. update my playlist(s) with new track
3. close iTunes
4. open JRiver.  Would be wonderful if I had the option to auto-sync the playlists to JRiver, as well as the tracks.

The tool MCIS referenced https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51734.0 in this forum will not work, as it only sync's Apple 'on-the-go' playlists which don't exist anymore AFAIK (I couldn't find any option to add such a playlist in Windows iTunes, anyway).

One option would be to not use JRiver at all and play my stuff in iTunes.  But iTunes is just too unstable.  Latest updates broke playback of mixed audio/music-video playlists when visualizations are turned on.

Another option is to export and import each playlist I change, individually.  Tedious and error prone.

Another option is to maintain playlists in JRiver use MCIS to export them back to iTunes.  I don't trust MCIS to work ongoing (and not screw up my iTunes library), as it hasn't been updated for 2 years, and the file is just sitting on GitHub with no sign of life with regards to ongoing support.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 06:29:12 am »

How about buying the music somewhere else?

Or import the files themselves and build the playlists in JRiver?

SuperMum

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 04:32:04 am »

Nope. Just having playlists in JRiver doesn't work.  I have an iPhone and sync my music from iTunes to my phone.
I want to play my music on Windows with JRiver (because iTunes is too buggy) and play it on iPhone with music app there.
So, there's a requirement to build playlists in iTunes and have them automatically copied to JRiver, the same way you can have JRiver automatically copy the music and video files from the iTunes library to JRiver.
iTunes has an option to always save a copy of playlists to an XML file, so automatically copying playlists shouldn't be a technical challenge for JRiver to do.

schnaawj

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 09:16:09 pm »

I am a new user to JRiver and set my music files up the following way and was wondering if other people have done this without any problems
I rip my CD collection with dBpoweramp to an ALAC (Apple lossless) files
I buy my music in iTunes
I let iTunes organize my music files (ripped and purchased)
All my itunes playlists are smartlists
When I add songs I update their Genre, ratings and grouping fields and they automatically update my smartlists
I sync my phone with iTunes.
In JRiver I pointed my main library to my iTunes files (many of the iTunes files were missing portions of their meta data, so I had to fix them. (figured I'd only have to do this once).
In JRiver I created the same smartlists as in iTunes
So far JRiver is monitoring the itunes folders ok
The only issue I am experienceing is the need to update the meta data in itunes and JRiver when adding new songs to the library.
Anyone else doing something similar or better?

UncleMilt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 02:09:36 pm »

Just thought I could detail how playlist export and import from iTunes works with Media Center.

With iTunes, you can export your playlists by picking right-click > Export...

It will export to a text file.

Then you can drag that text file from Explorer into Media Center and it will import all the data and play nicely.

If you drop the playlist onto the "Playlists" node of the tree it will make a playlist from the drop.

I have successfully exported playlists from my wife's iTunes.
iTunes Library is resident on the C: drive of her laptop - with iTunes file path structure.
My MC music Library is a superset of her iTunes, but on multiple drives with single artist crossing multiple drives, as well.
Importing playlists work well if file path in playlist equals file location in MC, but if paths are different, then MC imported play will be missing that track.
Example: iTunes playlist has 625 tracks - resulting imported playlist only 218 tracks.
Right now, I manually identify missing tracks and hunt them down in my MC Library...one at a time...

Is there any way to have database power of MC! look at tracks to be imported - and suggest tracks that have comparable track name, track number, artist and album? regardless of differing track MC file path??

I know MC has the database "horsepower", I just am not sure how to do it?  :-)

Anxious to find a solution, as I have friends who wish to share playlists but file path issue remains a barrier

Most Grateful,

UncleMilt

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 03:09:26 pm »

The Library Tools can help.  Here's the wiki:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Tools

UncleMilt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 04:12:28 pm »

The Library Tools can help.  Here's the wiki:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Tools

Learning something new everyday with JRiver! My tagging process will never be the same..

Per Doctor Who...

"With downloaded {Imported?} playlists, MC will look for matching tracks in your library first, then online (presently using our Performer Store of 40,000,000 tracks).  Samples or full length, depending on your Performer account status.  Amazon is also searched and previews are available."

Is there a way to use Doctor Who "feature" to look for matching tracks on an Imported Playlist?

Again most grateful

UncleMilt

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 04:20:38 pm »

That's old.  I'll correct it on our wiki.

What do you mean when you say "look for matching tracks"?  Online?  No.

UncleMilt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 04:37:16 pm »

That's old.  I'll correct it on our wiki.

What do you mean when you say "look for matching tracks"?  Online?  No.

Not online...Within MC only.  Search library for local tracks only, but in batch mode?
Each track in playlist to be imported is located and if multiple hits are available - then options for selection are displayed in the results.

Most Grateful!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 04:45:48 pm »

I don't think there's a way to do that, but you can use the Library Tools to substitute an incorrect location with a correct one.

UncleMilt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 04:57:35 pm »

I don't think there's a way to do that, but you can use the Library Tools to substitute an incorrect location with a correct one.

You folks are the best...
I do perform search and replace of text strings now - to manually change certain data [Drive designation] and repeated File Path data, but

I was more or less looking for a way to "batch" search Library for all tracks in playlist to be imported and see Library tracks that match...?

Thanks

UncleMilt

Pages: [1]   Go Up