INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP3 Encoder stopped working (Windows Message)  (Read 991 times)

Ferdi

• World Citizen
MP3 Encoder stopped working (Windows Message)
« on: April 13, 2018, 02:05:31 pm »

For a few weeks now, Windows 10 gives me the error message 'MP3 Encoder stopped working'. This happens when I play music files via JRiver (through JRemote). JRiver runs on an Intel Compute Stick.

I had been fiddling around with the Audio settings, including DSP, but don't think I have changed anything (I am somewhat overwhelmed by the meaning of most of the settings); comparing the settings with those of my desktop installation, I cannot tell any differences.

I suspect that this is related to Windows itself, but couldn't find anything meangingful anywhere. Does anyone else on the forum have this issue, and a solution maybe?

thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MP3 Encoder stopped working (Windows Message)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 02:13:45 pm »

It's probably Windows Defender.  There is a thread about it here:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114101.0.html

JimH

• Administrator

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 02:47:27 pm »

yes I am, Jim.
I just now had tried to turn off Defender Firewall to see if that changes anything - it didn't. After about 15min of playing, Windows came back and told me encoder stopped working correctly.
JRiver still plays music. In the beginning, when this started to happen, it wouldn't, and i wouldn't be able to restart when remote because of the Windows error message requiring a manual close. I do believe that this started to happen with a Windows update, but I can't really track it down to that.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 03:00:49 pm »

Try the Windows Defender topic.  You can't really turn it off.

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 04:02:24 pm »

a job for the weekend :)

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 10:47:56 am »

I wanted to post my status for a while now:
  • the script to exclude files / folders from Defender was easy to implement - thanks, Awesome Donkey for the detailed work! Unfortunately, it did not do anything about the MP3 encoder stopping.
  • I observed that the encoder stopped working when using JRemote, and that i had 'transcode audio' on. I switched that on when travelling through areas with low cell coverage, to improve the play back experience. I assume that (transcoded) mp3 files also require less data to be transmitted, saving on my data plan.
    Once I turned this setting off, the MP3 encoder was not a problem anymore: but of course, there was a reason to turn it on in the first place, so the actual problem is not really solved, just suspended
  • I tried with updating the lame encoder (had a very old version installed), that didn't help either

I will now live with the work-around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up