INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recovering a Lost Library  (Read 851 times)

jakoboutzen

• Recent member
Recovering a Lost Library
« on: April 18, 2018, 09:31:25 am »

Have just installed jriver media center 23 on a win7 pc two weeks ago and it has been working fine, but when I started the media center this morning it suddenly started importing music files.

Found out that all work for the last two weeks is gone (taggings,custom views etc) and I can see that the "base path" has reverted back to the default.

think that the computer was not closed "gracefully" yesterday, and that JRiver was still open when the pc closed.

I can reconfigure the "base path" back so it points to the library I used before the crash, however the question is, has my updates to the music taggings been saved to the music files and can I get cover art, custom views etc. back?

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Automatic Library reset - all work is gone
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 11:27:56 am »

Media Center should be backing up the library (database) automatically.
It may not have all recent changes, but File > Library > Restore Library should help.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 11:43:21 am »

Also you can make a backup of MC anytime you choose. It's a good Idea to make a back up after you have completed your changes....good luck
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

jakoboutzen

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 01:23:14 am »

Thks :-)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Recovering a Lost Library
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 03:45:14 am »

So, you had a PC crash (or just turned it off instead of shutting it down), and at the next startup MC opened the default Library instead of the library you had been using, which you have stored in a different location.

All you needed to do was open the library you had been using previously, and all would have been good and most likely completely up to date, with only a small chance of any issues. Even if MC "forgot" about your library due to the shutdown, you could just add it back in again, MC would find the existing library and ask if you wanted to use the library it found.

But of course, backups are there for a reason. However, if they are old you can lose some work.

The Wiki is full of good information. Read this: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Manager

BTW the term "Base Path" isn't associated with Libraries. The only place I can think of quickly that it is used is with the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" function. I don't know if that's what you were looking at, but if so, you shouldn't have been for this issue.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up