INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW Media Center 24 Upgrade for the Id  (Read 17251 times)

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
NEW Media Center 24 Upgrade for the Id
« on: April 20, 2018, 03:42:22 pm »

With the release of Media Center 24, we have been working on bringing those improvements, as well as other improvements, to the Id.

IdPi
Media Center 24 is now available for the IdPi. Users with an IdPi running the 'Media Center Id' firmware will be able to update Media Center to version 24 from main menu (option 12).

Unfortunately, this version is not compatible with the Pi 3 model B+.

New IdPi orders will come with the latest firmware, including Media Center 24, as well as compatibility with the Pi 3 B+.
Users who already have an IdPi now have the option to have their mSD cards upgraded to the latest Id firmware at a discounted price. This upgrade will include Media Center 24 and also be compatible with the Pi 3 model B+. The upgrade option will require sending your current IdPi mSD card (just the card) back to be upgraded.

The 3B+ compatibility upgrade cannot be done by download.  Your card must be returned to have the upgrade installed on it.

IdNUC
The Media Center 24 update for the NUC is now available.

Users with a recent IdNUC running the 'Media Center Id' firmware can get the Media Center 24 update through the main menu (option 12).

IdNUC users running older firmware versions will first need to upgrade to the Media Center Id firmware using the USB upgrade method mentioned here:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,110326.0.html (just make sure to download the idXrepair3.img).

After this upgrade, you will be able to get the Media Center 24 update from the main menu.

Note: The Media Center Id upgrade and the Media Center 24 update will cause the Id to lose the license. You can re-enter the license from the main menu (option 18). Just use your Media Center 22 Id or Media Center Id license.

Note 2: The browser update is actually a second update. Id users with the Media Center Id firmware who update Media Center to version 24 will need to run Check for Updates from the main menu a second time to get the browser update.

Aside from several improvements included with Media Center 24, below is a list of some additional improvements for this latest Id firmware.
  • VNC/RDP server improvements: Several changes have made the connections via VNC or RDP much more responsive.
  • Console separation: This will prevent one console from echoing commands to another console and causing problems. It also restores functionality to the main menu in text mode. Before some options, such as entering a license, could only be done while in GUI mode or while connected remotely.
  • Up-to-date web browser: The right-click menu now has an option to open up a Firefox web browser.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
Re: NEW Media Center 24 Upgrade for the Id
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 05:04:02 pm »

Thanks for the update Brad.

The IdPi obviously works differently but I know from general work with Linux distros that versions and kernels can be upgraded via command-line. Can you tell me what the key difference is that requires a back to base return?

I'll be doing the return/upgrade anyway. I'm interested to understand why the return is necessary. Thanks.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

DrRob

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 04:52:44 pm »

I assume this upgrade requires a new license. How do I get one?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 06:11:07 pm »

What's the version of the Id and of MC?  It's at the bottom of the text menu.

DrRob

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 06:44:55 am »

Id: 22.0.83.  MC: 23.0.102. Engen: 1.0.69

BradATIMA

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 08:55:00 am »

I assume this upgrade requires a new license. How do I get one?

When you do the upgrade, you will need to re-enter the license; however, you can just use your Media Center 22 Id or Media Center Id license.

DrRob

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 10:03:03 am »

I upgraded my Id to MC23 but didn't recognize my MC 22 license. I purchased a MC 24 license for all platforms. Are you saying I can use that when I upgrade the Id to MC 24?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 10:55:49 am »

The Master License doesn't include the Id.

Enter the license in the text menu, not in MC.

l and 1 (number) look alike.  So do O and 0 (number)

gabeg

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 12:25:18 pm »

How do we know how old our firmware is?   I've got the original Nuc but have upgraded to MC22.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 12:31:45 pm »

There are three versions at the bottom of the text menu.

BradATIMA

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 02:36:32 pm »

How do we know how old our firmware is?   I've got the original Nuc but have upgraded to MC22.

If your Id is running some version of Media Center 20 or 22, you do not have the Media Center Id firmware. You can upgrade the IdNUC to the Media Center Id firmware by following the instructions in the link in the first post in this thread.

MikeyFresh

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 01:27:18 pm »

With the release of Media Center 24, we have been working on bringing those improvements, as well as other improvements, to the Id.

IdPi
Media Center 24 is now available for the IdPi. Users with an IdPi running the 'Media Center Id' firmware will be able to update Media Center to version 24 from main menu (option 12).

Unfortunately, this version is not compatible with the Pi 3 model B+.

Users with the Media Center Id firmware, as well as users with older IdPi versions, such as Media Center 20/22, can have their mSD cards upgraded to the latest Id firmware for $20.  This upgrade
will also be compatible with the Pi 3 model B+.   Instructions on how to order the upgraded microSD will follow.

This upgrade cannot be done by download.  Your card must be returned.

I have a recently shipped instance of Id Pi running on the older 3b board, and I think I'd like to just leave that one as is and use it strictly as a Renderer, and order a new Id Pi card for use with the new 3b+ board as my new Server.

So if I place an order today for a new Id Pi card, you will ship me the latest 3b+ compatible version automatically, or am I still in a holding pattern awaiting actual availability?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 03:10:28 pm »

Yes, it will work on the B+.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 04:22:05 pm »

Yes, it will work on the B+.

So, does that mean the upgrade path for IdPi 3B->3B+ is open now? I've got an envelope set aside and I'm ready to lick a stamp, slap it down and shoot it all in the post when the green flag is waved.

I've been watching out for the announcement. Did I miss it?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

BradATIMA

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 03:28:09 pm »

So if I place an order today for a new Id Pi card, you will ship me the latest 3b+ compatible version automatically, or am I still in a holding pattern awaiting actual availability?

So, does that mean the upgrade path for IdPi 3B->3B+ is open now? I've got an envelope set aside and I'm ready to lick a stamp, slap it down and shoot it all in the post when the green flag is waved.

I've been watching out for the announcement. Did I miss it?

You didn't miss the message. The IdPi 3B+ upgrade or purchase is now ready.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 05:06:53 am »

You didn't miss the message. The IdPi 3B+ upgrade or purchase is now ready.

Cool. I've emailed off an upgrade request to the sales address. Thanks for the tip.

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 08:42:57 am »

Great news that a new release is available for the Raspberry Pi. As an established user of version 22 on an IdPi with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro card, I would like to know whether you have compiled all the latest audio HAT board's driver code into the new Linux Kernel used to support the PI B+? I would like to upgrade to an Allo DigiOne S/PDIF card, which is not supported under MC 22 on IdPi. There would be no point to upgrade my current IdPi to a B+ if no new HATs are supported.

There are a number of other audio HATs and more being developed, that are not currently supported in your Kernel build. Giving users full flexibility to use any audio HAT available in the Raspberry Pi Raspian Stretch OS would be of great help.

Thanks, Duncan.

gabeg

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 05:33:09 pm »

When will the update be available for the nuc?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 06:12:20 pm »

When will the update be available for the nuc?

It's out. I upgraded my Id NUC with a 12 the other day. I just made sure I had the latest firmware - check the instructions at the top of this thread.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 06:33:26 pm »

Great news that a new release is available for the Raspberry Pi. As an established user of version 22 on an IdPi with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro card, I would like to know whether you have compiled all the latest audio HAT board's driver code into the new Linux Kernel used to support the PI B+? I would like to upgrade to an Allo DigiOne S/PDIF card, which is not supported under MC 22 on IdPi. There would be no point to upgrade my current IdPi to a B+ if no new HATs are supported.

There are a number of other audio HATs and more being developed, that are not currently supported in your Kernel build. Giving users full flexibility to use any audio HAT available in the Raspberry Pi Raspian Stretch OS would be of great help.

Thanks, Duncan.

Good point Duncan. The Allo HAT is popular device. Given that it's relatively simple to set up a different HAT in Linux, it shouldn't be too difficult to include the additional functionality in an IdPi (especially for the talented JRiver crew).

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 10:05:45 am »

Just to check, I have IdPi with: Id: 22.0.78  MC: 22.0.113 (after running update)

Does this mean I do not have Media Centre Id firmware?

If so, my options are to send this card back to the US for upgrade (are there details of discounts somewhere?)

Or to buy a new card if I don’t want to be without the Pi for the postage time UK-US-UK - is that correct?

Thank you.

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 10:28:37 am »

BradATIMA

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 11:29:14 am »

Just to check, I have IdPi with: Id: 22.0.78  MC: 22.0.113 (after running update)

Does this mean I do not have Media Centre Id firmware?

If so, my options are to send this card back to the US for upgrade (are there details of discounts somewhere?)

Or to buy a new card if I don’t want to be without the Pi for the postage time UK-US-UK - is that correct?

Thank you.

All of that is correct. The Media Center Id firmware runs Media Center version 23 or later, so if your IdPi is running Media Center 22, it has the older firmware. The only way to get the upgrade for the IdPi is to send the mSD card back to have the new firmware put on it, or to buy a new IdPi card. Also, the upgrade process clears everything on the mSD card, so this will remove items saved on the card, such as files, settings, and the library.

BradATIMA

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 11:45:05 am »

I haven't actually tested this, but I'm assuming that the upgrade still will not support the Allo DigiOne card. The upgrade still runs Jessie, not Stretch. However, if the required dependencies for the Allo DigiOne could be added while still running Jessie, it's possible support could be added later. It hasn't been investigated yet, though.

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 12:11:33 pm »

All of that is correct. The Media Center Id firmware runs Media Center version 23 or later, so if your IdPi is running Media Center 22, it has the older firmware. The only way to get the upgrade for the IdPi is to send the mSD card back to have the new firmware put on it, or to buy a new IdPi card. Also, the upgrade process clears everything on the mSD card, so this will remove items saved on the card, such as files, settings, and the library.
Thanks Brad. So when did the change happen? My IdPi is only from July 2017 and I wasn’t aware there had been a newer version between then and now.

BradATIMA

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 01:12:35 pm »

Thanks Brad. So when did the change happen? My IdPi is only from July 2017 and I wasn’t aware there had been a newer version between then and now.

The change to Media Center Id was around mid-November 2017.

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 01:26:45 pm »

I haven't actually tested this, but I'm assuming that the upgrade still will not support the Allo DigiOne card. The upgrade still runs Jessie, not Stretch. However, if the required dependencies for the Allo DigiOne could be added while still running Jessie, it's possible support could be added later. It hasn't been investigated yet, though.

The Allo DigiOne was added to Raspberry Linux distro at Linux 4.9 as per this link https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/tree/rpi-4.9.y/sound/soc/bcm. That version was still Jessie, I think. I don't know what Linux version the MC 22 version is running now, there was a firmware update awhile back. Obviously, the necessary C code, for each card, has to be explicitly compiled. I have Media Center version 22.0.113 with a Hifiberry Digi+ Pro installed. I will only send in for a new OS card if the Allo, JustBoom and IQAudio products are included, so I can just build whatever type of Audio device I want.

Best, Duncan.

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 01:32:00 pm »

Thanks. Does the new version as it appears on the IdPi more closely follow the ‘full’ versions?
I am thinking mainly of a web browser functioning (which IdPi 22 doesn’t have) such that a streaming service can be run in a browser window - Qobuz is my chosen option here and I can do this in MC22 on a Win 10 machine.
I have seen in passing that there are new streaming options in JRMC24 but have not looked at this in detail, has this been carried over into the IdPi implementation?

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 01:40:38 pm »

Also, if I make a backup in 22 (libraries etc.) can I then load that onto the new 24 card or are there differences that would prevent this? I have done it successfully between Windows and IdPi but from memory they were the same version number.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 02:24:42 pm »

Probably.

BradATIMA

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2018, 04:07:15 pm »

Thanks. Does the new version as it appears on the IdPi more closely follow the ‘full’ versions?
I am thinking mainly of a web browser functioning (which IdPi 22 doesn’t have) such that a streaming service can be run in a browser window - Qobuz is my chosen option here and I can do this in MC22 on a Win 10 machine.
I have seen in passing that there are new streaming options in JRMC24 but have not looked at this in detail, has this been carried over into the IdPi implementation?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "more closely follow the 'full' versions." The Id will closely follow the Linux version of Media Center. As far as web browser functionality goes, the upgraded IdPi has an external web browser (it's not part of Media Center). You should be able to stream from that web browser. However, the Id does not support an embedded web browser. Unfortunately, most of the streaming options in MC 24, with the exception of Radio Paradise, rely on the embedded browser to work, so they do not work on the Id, yet.

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2018, 04:49:33 pm »

OK, thank you. Thinking about it a bit further, it is more the IdPi experience as a whole that is different to say a Windows install, ie. the intentionally closed environment meaning that the user can’t just install an extra component for example - I’m aware there is the Linux version for those that want to do that - but the (or my) perception is that it is MC on the IdPi that is restricted whereas it is probably fairer to say that the package as a whole is less versatile - and thereby simpler to use of course.
Thank you for the clarification on the browser aspect, I have been very happy to only have the Pi connected to the rest of my system and am looking for ways to route other inputs such as streaming through it (and having seen other similar posts here I am not alone in that.) A stop gap is to use a google chrome cast, it works but I would prefer not to need it.
Just to check further, from IdPi 24 onwards you appear to be saying that all further versions will be downloadable, is that the intention?
Lastly, do you have a view on the back up from 22 and restore to 24 question I asked, I wasn’t sure if that was what JimH was replying to when he wrote: probably.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2018, 05:11:42 pm »

Just to check further, from IdPi 24 onwards you appear to be saying that all further versions will be downloadable, is that the intention?
That's the intent.  It's not easy.
Lastly, do you have a view on the back up from 22 and restore to 24 question I asked, I wasn’t sure if that was what JimH was replying to when he wrote: probably.
Yes, that's what I meant.

Bohemian

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2018, 06:07:08 pm »

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "more closely follow the 'full' versions." The Id will closely follow the Linux version of Media Center. As far as web browser functionality goes, the upgraded IdPi has an external web browser (it's not part of Media Center). You should be able to stream from that web browser. However, the Id does not support an embedded web browser. Unfortunately, most of the streaming options in MC 24, with the exception of Radio Paradise, rely on the embedded browser to work, so they do not work on the Id, yet.

I have just checked for updates on my Idpi and downloaded the latest version, but I cannot see a web browser anywhere. Where should I be looking?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2018, 06:31:02 pm »

Try a right click on the desktop.

Bohemian

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2018, 04:00:14 pm »

Try a right click on the desktop.

Didn't work for me, but never mind.  More important fish to fry at the moment.
Enjoying the Idpi immensely, though, with a hifiberry digi+pro hat. Excellent performance.
Very happy.
Congratulations to all the team.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2018, 05:03:33 pm »

Thank you.

The browser is coming.

leya

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2018, 03:55:58 am »

The Update is ok for my NUC  but I don't see Radio Paradise FLAC streaming in this MC 24 version as in Windows version

Is it normal ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2018, 06:45:16 am »

It should be coming soon.

BradATIMA

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2018, 09:41:38 am »

Didn't work for me, but never mind.  More important fish to fry at the moment.
Enjoying the Idpi immensely, though, with a hifiberry digi+pro hat. Excellent performance.
Very happy.
Congratulations to all the team.

Keep in mind, to use the browser, the Id needs to either be in GUI mode or you need to be connected to it remotely. Also, when you right-click, you must do so over the desktop, so it brings up the context menu. You can't right-click while the mouse is over Media Center or the main menu.

Bohemian

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2018, 11:04:44 am »

Right-click on the desktop gives a menu with 2 items:
WICD
Main menu

Main menu does what it says, WICD gives a network manager.

BradATIMA

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2018, 12:11:57 pm »

Right-click on the desktop gives a menu with 2 items:
WICD
Main menu

Main menu does what it says, WICD gives a network manager.

Run Check for Updates from the main menu again. With the Media Center 24 upgrade you actually need to run Check for Updates twice. The second time pulls down the browser upgrades. I'll update the instructions to mention that.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2018, 07:10:06 am »

ecjr

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2018, 03:11:14 pm »

I purchased Version 24 for my desktop and installed it.  Everything went well and restored my old settings from a previous backup I made from a different version.  Great.

Then I went to use my Pi ID and things went downhill fast.  First it asked me to install my License # -- I did.  Then when I rebooted I needed to attach my library which had gone back to a default setting. 

After I loaded the library I started having all kinds of mouse navigation issues and screen freezing problems.  I finally had to resort to restarting the Pi by pulling the plug -- not good. 

When it rebooted, it looked Ok but the mouse navigation was terrible -- arrow would disappear and turn into a | instead of an arrow.  My menu didn't have screen minimize or close functions appearing at the top of the menu and lastly it no longer saw my built in Hi Fi Berry DAC that is installed in the Pi. 

I tried many things to get this back to normal but no luck.  It looks to me like the memory card got corrupted by the looks of things.  I would like to get this working again.  If I had known that Ver 24 was going to have this effect on my Id, I wouldn't have made the leap.  Everything was working fine with my previous version on my desktop.  Help!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2018, 03:50:21 pm »

I don't think installing version 24 on your desktop should be able to affect your IdPi unless you were connecting to the deskop as a library server client from the IdPi?

It does sound like it might be corrupted though. Just pulling the plug isn't the best way to shut it down.
I'd suggest booting the IdPi into gui mode with an attached monitor and keyboard.
If you are using a library on the IdPi you could back it up inside of MC to the /export/media folder for safe keeping (and copy it off of there onto your desktop via windows networking as well).
Then you can try running function 77 (not on the menu) to restore the stock data. You'll need to reinstall the license key then and restore a backup of the library.

ecjr

• Recent member
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2018, 06:02:54 pm »

Thanks for your input but no luck using Funct 77.  Still don't have mouse control so I really can't get anywhere  now. What's next if the card I have is corrupt?  Also, I see where you have version 24 for the Pi 3 which I have,  does  it pay to get the upgrade while replacing this card I currently have?

BradATIMA

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2018, 02:48:39 pm »

Thanks for your input but no luck using Funct 77.  Still don't have mouse control so I really can't get anywhere  now. What's next if the card I have is corrupt?  Also, I see where you have version 24 for the Pi 3 which I have,  does  it pay to get the upgrade while replacing this card I currently have?

If the mSD card is corrupt, you would need to send it back to JRiver to have it remade. Unfortunately, that's the only way we have to fix corrupt cards.

What is the full Id and MC version of the IdPi? It should say at the bottom of the main menu.
How are you connecting to the IdPi? Are you using a monitor connected to it with the IdPi in GUI mode or are you connecting to it remotely?
If your IdPi is the Media Center Id version, you should be able to upgrade Media Center to version 24 from the main menu (option 12). If it is not the Media Center Id version, then upgrading it would also require sending it back to JRiver.

ecjr

• Recent member
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2018, 07:13:56 pm »

I am connecting to the PiID via monitor connected by HDMI and usb mouse and keyboard.  The ID: 24.0.7  MC: 24.0.28

I will return the sd card to Deana with all of the licensing information written on the same folder you sent me.  Let me know if there is  anything else you need to know.  Ed

mdooney@gmail.com

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2018, 08:34:08 am »

I can see the Radio JRiver streaming stations using remote desktop to my Id but can I get them to play?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2018, 08:56:25 am »

I can see the Radio JRiver streaming stations using remote desktop to my Id but can I get them to play?
If you are playing directly on the Id, some of the streaming stations aren't working yet.
I'm holding back on the Id MC updates until the internal browser issue stabilizes.
It's possible that the browser will be removed on the IdPi because of the Pi's limited memory.
Also, the next update  (on the IdNUC's only) will require re-entering the registration code.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up