INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import Options MC24 for Client/DLNA Server  (Read 1753 times)

Christian_Rork

• Junior Woodchuck
Import Options MC24 for Client/DLNA Server
« on: April 23, 2018, 09:36:57 am »

I have my library pulling files from a DLNA NAS Server but setup locally on the client side (See pict 1).  The file location address is some kind of DLNA address (See pict 2) and not the usual network address of the router.....When I'm adding new files to the server side they are not syncing to the client side.  When I try to configure Auto-Import, the import file location is different than what I already have in the library and its trying to import files that are already there (client side) again because the file location address is different (\\192.168.50.1\Music)  Apologies for the long winded explanation....I'm just worried that maybe I have my library setup in the wrong way in terms of how its pulling files from the server.

Thanks,
Erik

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Import Options MC24 for Client/DLNA Server
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 09:39:56 am »

To use files from a NAS, just import them as you would from a local drive.  Don't load the DLNA Library.  It's not as fast.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 12:15:12 pm »

I would even suggest turning off the DLNA server on the NAS. That way you would only see the media files via the NAS file share, and you would avoid being confused by seeing the exact same media via the DLNA server as well..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 05:58:47 pm »

I would even suggest turning off the DLNA server on the NAS.

+1

It can cause confusion on file location, create unnecessary thumbnailing on the NAS and MC works a lot better when looking at a mount point / file share.

Christian_Rork

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 06:04:20 am »

I've tried everyone's suggestions and I'm having major playback issues which were not present in the other way.  Now I have sound dropouts, JRemote becomes unresponsive at times.  You would think that in the new setup it would be more responsive but now its worse.....I'm mean the one good thing is the tagging is much better when you import through the NAS/samba share but it seems performance has suffered....Any suggestions?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 06:40:06 am »

Please describe your setup in detail.

Christian_Rork

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 07:21:40 pm »

Here we go:

- NAS: Asus Router RT-AC86U with WD My Passport Ultra 2TB USB 3.0 connected with Samba Sharing Turned On (DLNA is NOT turned on on the router).  Data from the WD Passport is passed along to my Rasp Pi via Ethernet Powerline Adapter (from my basement where the router is) to another Powerline Adapter close to where the stereo and Pi are on the main floor of the house.  Just to be safe I tested the Powerline adapter on another computer just to be sure that the adapter wasn't faulty and it gave full bandwidth internet no problem.

- CLIENT: Gigabyte Brix i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70GHZ, 8GB RAM with Windows 10 64-bit Creators Edition with JRiver 24 acting as DLNA server.  My DLNA settings are Audiophile 24-bit DAC with output mode set to Original.

- RENDERER: Raspberry Pi3 with latest version of Volumio 2.389 with HiFiBerry Dac Plus converting the audio to Analog RCA Output.  The memory card that stores the operating system is a Lexar 633X micro SD.

My entire music library is in FLAC format in resolutions from CD to Studio Master quality (44.1 to 192).

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 11:02:26 pm »

IMO, everything may be working correctly, but the powerline adapters could be a bottleneck.

If you want to troubleshoot, move the pi and plug it directly into the router to see if performance improves. This will indicate if the powerline adapters are the bottleneck. You can also test the adapters by copying a large file from the usb drive to the Brix machine over the network. Ideally you should see speeds almost equivalent to having the usb drive plugged into the Brix, which also could be done as a test or alternate permanent option.

FLAC's use a lot of bandwidth, especially hi-res. If you can set up wireless to get a good signal upstairs that may be a better option than the powerline adapters. If all network/internet is riding on them they need to be very good ones to handle the load gracefully. They will vary in performance depending on many factors.

If you can't overcome the bandwidth limitations, set the MC server for high bandwidth MP3 and give it a shot. That's probably how the library was being served when it worked "better".

EDIT: I saw in another thread that 24.0.15 has DLNA issues. Make sure you are running .19.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 02:02:35 am »

I tried using USB hard drives connected to various routers as a cheap NAS solution some years back. The performance was hopeless, and research on the internet at the time showed that almost all routers were poor at this task. Even if they speed tested reasonably well, they couldn't consistently hold a transfer speed. It isn't their primary role, after all.

I would suggest connecting the Passport directly to the Brix to eliminate that potential bottleneck.

The DLNA servers on routers at the time were pretty poor as well. I wouldn't have been surprised if yours was downconverting your FLAC to MP3 for streaming when you were using the Router DLNA server, and it might struggle to do that. Although if MC on the Brix was acting as the DLNA server to the Pi3 that shouldn't have been happening.

This was some years back though. The situation may have improved these days. But do some research on the topic.

I would also test the Powerline Adapter as suggested, particularly looking at the consistency of throughput. i.e. Multiple large file copies and check if the speed is maintained.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Christian_Rork

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 11:25:41 am »

Thank you for your suggestions; I have ordered a new Synology NAS and will use the WD Passport as an extra backup for now.  I am going to try the setup using the new NAS and transmitting over WIFI to my Rasp Pi in the audio rack instead of the Powerline Adapter.  I did a wifi speed test on my phone where the stereo is and was getting full speed, so here's hoping this will work!
Pages: [1]   Go Up