INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something always goes wrong with playback  (Read 1193 times)

Not Me

• Recent member
Something always goes wrong with playback
« on: April 26, 2018, 05:56:31 pm »

using 24.0.15 (64-bit) on Windows 10 with a Roland SuperUA DAC. I upgraded to 24. Today when I try to play a music file (Audio) I get a message "Something went wrong with playback". This happens with Direct Sound, ASIO and WASAPI. The files are 24 bit 96 vinyl rips in FLAC format. The same files work fine in foobar2000, Windows Media Player and cPlayer. It's almost impossible to solve an issue like this with such a vague error message so I have no idea how to proceed. It was working OK before in 23 so I guess I could uninstall the new version and go back but it was working OK in 24 last night (I think). I get the same results when I try to play ripped CD at 44.1. Oddly enough I seem to be able to play movies and get sound OK. Just too many options, the world is getting much too complicated for old farts like me.

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Something always goes wrong with playback
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 06:17:19 pm »

Try using WASAPI with a fixed buffer size of 10, 50, or 100ms.
Then work your way down from the highest bit-depth until you find the first one that your device supports.
And set Output Format inside DSP Studio to upsample everything to the highest sample rate that your device supports.
You may also wish to enable SoX resampling and TPDF dither in audio options (there is a search box at the bottom to make this easier).

With the output now fixed at a config that your device supports, does this continue to happen during playback?
There are a large number of variables which could be causing issues, but this should narrow it down considerably. Some devices just don't like switching sample rate quickly, or automatic bit-depth doesn't work properly with them.

Not Me

• Recent member
Re: Something always goes wrong with playback
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 04:37:25 pm »

I don't see any way to set a fixed buffer size in WASAPI with my setup.

After poking around a bit more I realized that the Output Encoding was set to 1xDSD. Not sure how that happened as I tried every setting in that to get MC working with my DAC (which DOES support DSD in at least some way shape or form) but I am sure that I set it back to None because it was working before.

With WASAPI I got it to work but only with my vinyl rips. It still refused to pay ripped CDs. I changed back to ASIO which lets me access the Driver Control Panel which has a check box labled "Match with the ASIO sample rate" in Windows Sound Setting. That seems to have fixed it. I know flixability implies complexity but its getting too much for me to keep up with.

Even though I could not get the DSD to work in DSP Studio I was able to check the "DSD bitstream in doP format" in the ADIO setting page and still have it work. Not sure if that's a good idea or not but I don't really hear any difference either way.

Any way its working today so I am going to stop messing around with it and listen to some music.
Pages: [1]   Go Up