INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't connect JRemote to JRiver after PC rebuild and install of MC24 [Solved]  (Read 1631 times)

Carlosb1978

• Recent member

Help,

After a recent upgrade of my PC, and reinstall and update of MC, I can't for the life of me get JRemote to connect to JRiver.

Please help. Have tried using an access key and via ip address...

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Try turning Media Network off and back on.  That will generate a new Access Key.

Carlosb1978

• Recent member

Thanks, done that. Still same fault.

RD James

For some reason Media Center 24 is only opening the firewall ports on "public" networks and not "private" networks.

To fix this, you have to:
1. Open the "Windows Defender Firewall" settings (search for it in the start menu)
2. Go to "Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall"
3. Find "Media Center 24" on the list, and tick the "Private" box as well as the "Public" box.

Now you should disable and re-enable Media Network, and this time it should work - as long as the rest of your network is configured correctly.

JimH

• Administrator

For some reason Media Center 24 is only opening the firewall ports on "public" networks and not "private" networks.
MC doesn't touch your firewall.  Windows manages the firewall.

Carlosb1978

• Recent member

Ok, I managed to fix it. Both private and public were connected, but the box was checked preventing incoming connections... Once unchecked it has connected straight away. 

Thanks for the help guys :)

JimH

• Administrator

Thanks for reporting the solution.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

That isn't because of anything MC does, as Jim mentioned. That's just the defaults in the Windows Firewall Notification you get when you first launch an application. If you just blindly click though that dialog, you'll get private-network only mode (which is usually right).

That also shouldn't impact MC working through the firewall, however, unless you have your network interface configured wrong (because your home network should be considered a private, not public network.) All that does is configures the firewall to allow outbound connections when the network your computer is connected to is considered public or private. All networks you control, like at your home or work, should be set to "private" mode and only open wifi hotspots and other "shared" networks should be set to public. This is set when you first join a net network via that "is this for work, or home, or public" dialog.

On a laptop, I'd probably still allow traffic for MC on both network types (so that you can connect to your home server from Starbucks or a friend's Wifi network, for example). But that doesn't have any impact on a computer running the server at home on you private home network.

You do need to allow incoming connections, however, as Carlos discovered.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RD James

MC doesn't touch your firewall.  Windows manages the firewall.
If there are no firewall rules for MC, it will request elevation to add them when you enable Media Network using:

Code: [Select]
"C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 24\PackageInstaller.exe" /ConfigureFirewall
For some reason MC24 is only configuring the firewall for public access and not public & private access (or only private access).

That isn't because of anything MC does, as Jim mentioned. That's just the defaults in the Windows Firewall Notification you get when you first launch an application. If you just blindly click though that dialog, you'll get private-network only mode (which is usually right).
I have those disabled.

Hendrik

• Administrator

Apparently thats because we use the Windows XP-compatible Firewall API, which doesn't have an option to set that flag. Now that we dropped XP support, might as well switch to the new API for more control.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator

Talk with Bob before you make a change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up