INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sidecar and AIF files  (Read 1517 times)

dtblair

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Sidecar and AIF files
« on: May 20, 2018, 11:26:08 am »

MC24 is saving a sidecar for AIF/AIFF files with only <filename> info.  This information is already in the AIF file as Complete Name.  Sidecar tagging is selected as "Save in sidecar if internal flagging is not supported."  This appears to be a bug.

Just found it is doing it for wav files as well.  Doesn't appear to be happening w/ flac

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sidecar and AIF files
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 12:14:37 pm »

What version are you running?  24.0.27 is at the top of this board.

dtblair

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 12:24:35 pm »

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 12:47:19 pm »

I thought that problem was fixed.  Were you running a slightly older version of MC recently?  You might be able to tell something by the dates of the files.

dtblair

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 01:52:24 pm »

I'm using version 27, 64bit.  Am able to reproduce the problem as I write.

dtblair

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 01:10:24 pm »

Will this be addressed in the next update?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 01:54:36 pm »

Sidecar tagging is selected as "Save in sidecar if internal flagging is not supported."  This appears to be a bug.

AIF and WAV files support internal tagging.  With your selected setting, no info will be written to sidecar.  In fact sidecar file should not be written (the sidecar file you found may have been written previously).
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

dtblair

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 08:26:50 am »

Turning on Sidecar tagging mode if internal tagging not supported - does not work for SACD iso unless Create external sidecar files for AUDIO is also selected.  This then creates the additional filename sidecar for all audio files. 

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 08:52:07 am »

Turning on Sidecar tagging mode if internal tagging not supported - does not work for SACD iso unless Create external sidecar files for AUDIO is also selected.  This then creates the additional filename sidecar for all audio files.

SACD ISOs are audio.  So you need to enable sidecar for audio in order to use sidecar for SACD ISO.  What is the issue?  If  you choose "Save in sidecar if internal tagging is not supported", most audio files will not get sidecars, SACD ISO will.

dtblair

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 09:06:36 am »

No.  If you enable sidecar for audio, it creates a file for ALL file types containing a single item <filename>. Iso files get a full sidecar.  I have attached examples of the files (I had to change the xml extension as they won't upload)

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 03:58:48 pm »

The file you attached is exactly what should be created for ISO files.  My APE audio files are not getting sidecars since I set my sidecar mode to "Save in sidecar if internal tagging is not supported".

dtblair

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 04:35:51 pm »

I don't have any ape files, but I can confirm that I get the <filename> xml file created for wav and aif files.  The actual sound files are updated but the xml file is also created.
Turning off "Create external sidecar files for media types: Video; Audio stops the creation of the sidecar file for these file types but also prevents iso sidecar formation.

I have the following settings:

Sidecar tagging mode: Save in sidecar if internal tagging is not supported.
Create external sidecar files for media types: Video; Audio

Iso sidecar works fine but if I want that then ALL wav and aif tag changes creates the extra xml file.

This file creation seems to be associated with wav and aif files.  I don't seem to get in with flacs

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 04:44:20 pm »

This file creation seems to be associated with wav and aif files.  I don't seem to get in with flacs

I used APE just as an example.  The same can be said about WAV and AIF.  I don't get sidecar files for them either.  Strange.

WAVE/AIF plugin has an option to enable or disable internal tag writing.  Check that option on your computer.

dtblair

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 05:09:24 pm »

I have tagging selected on the plugin.  The thing is, tag changes are being made to the actual wav and aif files.  But in addition, the xml file created at the same time the tags are updated.  The xml file only has one item:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<MPL Version="2.0" Title="JRSidecar" PathSeparator="\">
<Item>
<Field Name="Filename">M:\CD MUSIC\Stravinsky, Igor\Petrouchka\01 - Petrouchka.wav</Field>
</Item>
</MPL>

It only contains the Filename, no other tag. This appears to be a bug.  If it was associated with sidecar or not, it should contain all the tags.  "Filename" is never written as a tag to any normal file.  There is a field called "Complete Name" which is the full directory and file path. However, in the iso and video sidecar files "Filename" is written.  So, it appears to be associated with turning on writing to a sidecar.

The only way I can make this work is to turn off the sidecar for wav and aiff files and turn it back on for iso.  If I leave it on and make big changes, i.e change genre on a group of albums, I generate literally hundreds of these one field name xml files.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 09:17:33 pm »

Did you try deleting the sidecar files and see if they come back?

It only contains the Filename, no other tag. This appears to be a bug.  If it was associated with sidecar or not, it should contain all the tags.  "Filename" is never written as a tag to any normal file.  There is a field called "Complete Name" which is the full directory and file path. However, in the iso and video sidecar files "Filename" is written.  So, it appears to be associated with turning on writing to a sidecar.

When we write data to sidecar, we include more fields than we would in internal tags.  Filename is one of them.  When sidecar option is on, we would write all relevant data to sidecar, not just one item.  I tested again and again and can not repeat your result.

dtblair

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 10:14:01 pm »

I have duplicated the problem on both a Windows 7 and 10 computer.  In both cases it writes a single record to the xml file.  I understand you can't duplicate the problem, and it may be the way you have your system set up. It has to be a coding issue as I can not understand how only one tag is written to the file and it is the one field that is not normally written to the standard audio file.  From my files, the "filename" is only written to sidecars.  It is not a record updated in wav, flac or aif files.  If I delete the xml and resave tags, the xml is recreated.

Since you can not recreate it, maybe someone with a different setup can test.  Again my settings are:

Sidecar tagging mode: Save in sidecar if internal tagging is not supported.
Create external sidecar files for media types: Video; Audio

I have created sidecars for all my mkv files since before version 19.  This problem has only surfaced since the addition of sidecar for other file types

Why it doesn't happen with with flac files appears to be something in file association.  The xml file is being created by JRiver coding.  If there is a setting that selects "Filename" only to a sidecar I would gladly turn this off

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 12:29:23 pm »

I figured out what was going on.  It will be fixed in an upcoming build.

In the meantime, you can avoid the sidecars by turning on audio advanced setting "write tool name and version".  If you don't want this option on, then wait for the new build.
Pages: [1]   Go Up