INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avoiding HDMI playback errors  (Read 747 times)

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
Avoiding HDMI playback errors
« on: May 23, 2018, 08:07:13 pm »

I use JRemote to control playback on my MC server, which is running from a Windows 10 media PC. The PC is connected via HDMI to my receiver, and the receiver is connected via HDMI to my television. I get an error if anything is played before the receiver is turned on, and I get an error if video is played before the TV is turned on. The error says "Playback could not be started using the format: (format).... Would you like to have your DSP studio... changed automatically?" The error is completely logical because, I presume, it couldn't complete the HDMI handshaking because the playback device is unavailable. However, I *always* want to cancel out of the error and restart playback without changing the DSP settings. Unfortunately, to cancel out I must dig out the wireless keyboard, because I can't get out of the error via JRemote. It's a level of complexity my wife and daughter, and guests not familiar with the system, get intimidated by.

Long story short, can this error come with a "Never Show this again" option? I am fine with the playback simply failing without feedback. Or maybe put a timer on the dialog so that it automatically cancels after x number of seconds? I like to keep things simple for my family, and I don't want someone to accidentally change the DSP settings.

I would have posted this in the "Too Easy" but I can't find a thread for v.24.

EDIT: In an ideal world, I guess it would be great if the program realized when the devices became available that the error was obsolete, and automatically closed itself when HDMI completed handshaking. I doubt that would be "too easy" though.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Avoiding HDMI playback errors
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 08:51:47 pm »

...I get an error if anything is played before the receiver is turned on, and I get an error if video is played before the TV is turned on....

So you are trying to play something on the receiver/tv without them being turned on? You might consider putting a simple powered hdmi switch between the PC/receiver, and maybe another one between the receiver/tv. This tricks windows (and thus MC) into thinking the hdmi devices are On, even when they are not. This one worked for me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Z6Z2NY
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈØ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 09:22:23 pm »

Hmmm interesting option, thanks. If my request is a no-go I may turn to this.

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 07:11:30 am »

Tell me if I'm missing something somewhere here but, if you dont try to play anything before the receiver is switched on then the error wont appear. Why do you need to start playback when it cant happen due to no amplification or video screen?

Have you thought about a remote like a Logitech Harmony that uses activities? Then with a single key press, your av receiver and tv can be switched on (or off) and you can even configure it to then control MC on your PC, so long as it has IR capabilities. If not then FLIRC can add this.

Does this help at all?

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 09:20:51 am »

It's generally accidental. I pretty much queue everything up via the JRemote app. Sometimes I am trying to play something elsewhere and I have forgotten to switch zones. Sometimes the receiver is on a different input before I realize it. Sometimes I think the TV is on but the button didn't register. If it were just me using the system I wouldn't be too bothered by it. But my wife and daughter aren't as technically adept and if I'm not home to fix it they get flustered. I like the experience to be as seamless as possible.

The Harmony remote is cool but a bit overkill for solving this specific thing, and it still wouldn't resolve the issue entirely. Definitely on my Xmas list though.

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 09:49:27 am »

Ok, I get what you're saying and understand.

There are a number of things that require keyboard input such as starting Radio Paradise. Have to drop out of theatre view to get there and a keyboard to return to theatre view. I agree there are many things that the "non enthusiast" find just too difficult for MC to be main player in the living room.

Its fine in the "man room", but I have to have Kodi on my lounge android tv as my partner just has no interest in pressing more than one button.

Perhaps this is an aspect that the developers should consider.

I do thoroughly recommend the Harmony remotes. I have two Harmony Ones and a hub and they are just great. Keep an eye on Ebay, one of mine was just £30.
Pages: [1]   Go Up