INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC24 Crash on Folder Import [Solved]  (Read 2940 times)

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
MC24 Crash on Folder Import [Solved]
« on: May 24, 2018, 06:49:14 pm »

I think I’ve raised this before but deleted the entry. Have some more details now so thought I would try again.

Experiencing an annoying (but not particularly serious) issue when I attempt a folder import. Full import works no problem, but when I try and browse to import a folder MC24 crashes.

The issue is probably related more to my Linux build, but MC triggers it so I’d be interested in any input if it points to something I should be doing differently.

I’m running the latest MC24 build on a latest build Debian host. The host runs as a virtual Linux machine on a QNAP NAS, and my media library lives on the NAS file system. I mount the NAS share on my Linux VM using NFS. Works beautifully.

The problem description:

If I perform a full import, no problem.
If I attempt a folder import and the path is already in the “Please Select a Folder to Search”, works no problem.
If I attempt to browse to a folder to do a folder import, MC24 crashes without logging anything as soon as I select “Open”.

When the crash occurs, the OS does write to the message.log file in Var/logs with this entry:

Couldn't create directory monitor on smb://x-gnome-default-workgroup/. Error: Operation not supported by backend

Followed by one or more of these:
JRiverMC kernel: [37418.169910] mediacenter24[25653]: segfault at 0 ip 00000000012427e8 sp 00007ffeefbd6668 error 4 in mediacenter24[400000+15e3000]

I’ve tried using both CIFS and NFS but it makes no difference. This issue was also there in MC23, so again points to the Linux environment.

The “Couldn’t create directory…” message is fair enough. I attempt a folder create in that location and get the same message. Not surprising as “smb://x-gnome-default-workgroup/” points to the workgroup browser location at the host level, not a file location.

So it looks as if the MC24 import browse function tries to create a temp folder (called monitor?) of some sort and cannot. Is this folder location something I can set and tell it to go somewhere else?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks
Scobie

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC24 Crash on Folder Import
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 08:04:25 pm »

What is the full version of JRiver?

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 08:24:49 pm »

Hi Jim, I am on 24.0.28, 64 bit.

But I have had the issue for quite a while, at least since later MC23 builds.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 03:32:49 pm »

I think I’ve raised this before but deleted the entry. Have some more details now so thought I would try again.

Experiencing an annoying (but not particularly serious) issue when I attempt a folder import. Full import works no problem, but when I try and browse to import a folder MC24 crashes.

The issue is probably related more to my Linux build, but MC triggers it so I’d be interested in any input if it points to something I should be doing differently.

I’m running the latest MC24 build on a latest build Debian host. The host runs as a virtual Linux machine on a QNAP NAS, and my media library lives on the NAS file system. I mount the NAS share on my Linux VM using NFS. Works beautifully.

The problem description:

If I perform a full import, no problem.
If I attempt a folder import and the path is already in the “Please Select a Folder to Search”, works no problem.
If I attempt to browse to a folder to do a folder import, MC24 crashes without logging anything as soon as I select “Open”.

When the crash occurs, the OS does write to the message.log file in Var/logs with this entry:

Couldn't create directory monitor on smb://x-gnome-default-workgroup/. Error: Operation not supported by backend

Followed by one or more of these:
JRiverMC kernel: [37418.169910] mediacenter24[25653]: segfault at 0 ip 00000000012427e8 sp 00007ffeefbd6668 error 4 in mediacenter24[400000+15e3000]

I’ve tried using both CIFS and NFS but it makes no difference. This issue was also there in MC23, so again points to the Linux environment.

The “Couldn’t create directory…” message is fair enough. I attempt a folder create in that location and get the same message. Not surprising as “smb://x-gnome-default-workgroup/” points to the workgroup browser location at the host level, not a file location.

So it looks as if the MC24 import browse function tries to create a temp folder (called monitor?) of some sort and cannot. Is this folder location something I can set and tell it to go somewhere else?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks
Scobie
Are you adding the folder to auto import?

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 06:22:39 pm »

Are you adding the folder to auto import?

No I am not changing the auto folder import, just browsing for a folder to import manually as distinct from performing an auto import. And the folders I attempt to import manually are already subfolders in the auto import config.

Like I said this is not a big problem from a practical standpoint...I can just auto import when I need to, it is more me thinking there might be something wrong with the setup in that something is causing this crash.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 06:30:59 pm »

No I am not changing the auto folder import, just browsing for a folder to import manually as distinct from performing an auto import. And the folders I attempt to import manually are already subfolders in the auto import config.

Like I said this is not a big problem from a practical standpoint...I can just auto import when I need to, it is more me thinking there might be something wrong with the setup in that something is causing this crash.
I'm trying to figure out if there is an issue with inotify.
I don't think there is but this thread has made me somewhat suspicious.
How many files are in the auto-import directories (approximately)?

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 12:23:08 am »

Thanks Bob, my remote access to home has gone south for the moment, I'll grab that information when I get home in a few hours.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 08:04:55 am »

Hi Bob.

My import share contains about 60,000 files and is around 900Gb. These are a mix of audio, video and images that are contained in their own media type sub folders.

The manual import I attempt is always a subset of one of these, normally Audio if I rip a new disk. The Audio subfolder has around 12,000 files and is around 200Gb.

Thanks

Scobie.

BradATIMA

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 03:08:14 pm »

I was able to create similar import conditions, but I was not able to reproduce this issue; however, my setup isn't exactly the same. How much memory does the QNAP NAS have, and how much memory is the virtual machine allocated to use?

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 05:14:31 pm »

The QNAP has 8Gb (its maximum I believe) and I give 5G to the VM.

Again the issue appears to be it attempts to create a temp type folder in a location that does not allow it.

Thanks

Scobie.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 09:34:02 am »

I'm not seeing the creation of a "monitor" directory anywhere in the import code.
Do you have thumnailing and/or audio analysis turned on for the import?

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 07:38:06 pm »

For Auto-Import (which works) I have all options selected except "analyze audio for audio/video files" and "ignore files..."

For the single folder import neither "Analyze audio..." or "Ignore special..." are selected.

However when it fails, it never gets to the point of actually doing the import, it crashes on attempting to browse to the folder.

Thanks Bob.

BernardD

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 12:29:40 pm »

I have the same problem in Linux Mint 19 (Ubuntu 18.04LTS).  Thanks to Scobie's post above, I got MC24 to import a folder by manually typing the folder address into “Please Select a Folder to Search.”  Thanks

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 10:31:46 am »

For Auto-Import (which works) I have all options selected except "analyze audio for audio/video files" and "ignore files..."

For the single folder import neither "Analyze audio..." or "Ignore special..." are selected.

However when it fails, it never gets to the point of actually doing the import, it crashes on attempting to browse to the folder.

Thanks Bob.
Browsing to the folder pops up up the gtk file/folder select box. Is that where it's crashing??

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 02:27:34 am »

Hi Bob, pls refer the attachment.

If I click on "Open" here, MC will crash. The actual directory location I am opening makes no difference.

Thanks

Scobie.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 09:28:53 am »

Hi Bob, pls refer the attachment.

If I click on "Open" here, MC will crash. The actual directory location I am opening makes no difference.

Thanks

Scobie.
So opening mediashare/Videos/Movies/Music
crashes.
Is that a local directory (or as the name implies) on a network share?
If it's on a share, what kind of share?
Do you have write permission in that Music directory?
How many files are in the Music directory?

Thanks.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 06:37:04 pm »

Hey Bob.

That was just an example...clicking open on any folder after browsing to import causes a crash.

Network share on a NAS, using NFS or CIFS makes no difference.

Rights are not a problem...I can manually enter any path and it will work. Running an auto import at the root folder works. It looks as though the import is the symptom not the cause.

Cheers

Scones.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 11:18:09 am »

Hey Bob.

That was just an example...clicking open on any folder after browsing to import causes a crash.

Network share on a NAS, using NFS or CIFS makes no difference.

Rights are not a problem...I can manually enter any path and it will work. Running an auto import at the root folder works. It looks as though the import is the symptom not the cause.

Cheers

Scones.
Could be a issue with the library differences between Jessie and your distro. I'll fire up a ubuntu to take a look.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 06:18:37 pm »

Thanks Bob. I'm on:

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Linux version 4.9.0-3-amd64 (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version 6.3.0 20170516 (Debian 6.3.0-18) ) #1 SMP Debian 4.9.30-2+deb9u5 (2017-09-19)
Release: 9.5
Architecture: x86-64

I keep up to date, but I believe this issue has been there from the beginning.

Cheers

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2018, 10:12:39 am »

Thanks Bob. I'm on:

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Linux version 4.9.0-3-amd64 (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version 6.3.0 20170516 (Debian 6.3.0-18) ) #1 SMP Debian 4.9.30-2+deb9u5 (2017-09-19)
Release: 9.5
Architecture: x86-64

I keep up to date, but I believe this issue has been there from the beginning.

Cheers
It worked in ubuntu 18.04 for me.
I can try Stretch but I bet it's more likely to be a video driver or desktop issue.
What have you got for those?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2018, 03:32:01 pm »

Try this build please, I couldn't get it to crash but I made a change off of an educated guess...
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/test/MediaCenter-24.0.45-2-amd64.deb

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2018, 06:26:15 pm »

Thanks Bob I will try that update later this morning.

In answer to your earlier query, I grabbed the following:

server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
    Vendor: VMware, Inc. (0xffffffff)
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Red Hat, Inc. QXL paravirtual graphic card (rev 04)
   Subsystem: Red Hat, Inc QEMU Virtual Machine
   Kernel driver in use: qxl
   Kernel modules: qxl

Linux JRiverMC 4.9.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.30-2+deb9u5 (2017-09-19) x86_64 GNU/Linux

/usr/bin/cinnamon-session  /usr/bin/dbus-run-session

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2018, 07:26:02 pm »

Thanks Bob but no joy.

Updated to 45-02 but behaviour is the same.

MC crashes and the following gets written to the messages.log:

Aug  1 10:18:04 JRiverMC /cinnamon-killer-daemon: Bound Cinnamon restart to <Control><Alt>Escape.
Aug  1 10:20:10 JRiverMC gvfsd-network[1400]: Couldn't create directory monitor on smb://x-gnome-default-workgroup/. Error: Operation not supported by backend
Aug  1 10:20:10 JRiverMC gvfsd-network[1400]: Couldn't create directory monitor on smb://x-gnome-default-workgroup/. Error: Operation not supported by backend
Aug  1 10:20:17 JRiverMC kernel: [ 1729.951982] mediacenter24[1088]: segfault at 0 ip 0000000001250a38 sp 00007ffea1cb1558 error 4 in mediacenter24[400000+1619000]

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2018, 09:46:13 pm »

Quick update, the error in the log is not peculiar to MC, a google search shows it occurs for other apps / use cases.

One of these was fixed by a Python package, installed this no change.

Another was samba related. To check this I loaded the debian host with no NAS folder mount point and pointed the import to a local folder and MC still crashed.

The log entry may be a red herring, or a normal crash entry.

Cheers

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2018, 02:01:43 am »

After changing the video resolution of the Debian host the import actually worked a couple of times...but has now crashed again. Maybe something to do with reinitialising the video settings?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 09:38:48 am »

After changing the video resolution of the Debian host the import actually worked a couple of times...but has now crashed again. Maybe something to do with reinitialising the video settings?
I'm not sure at this point. It sound like a bug in the video driver or more likely cinnamon to me.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 06:03:12 pm »

I think you're probably right. Given that changing the resolution sorted it albeit temporarily, points to something in there somewhere.

Thanks for your efforts Bob, I'll tinker when I get the chance and if i can locate the actual condition that affects MC will let you know.

Scobie

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2018, 10:14:44 am »

I think you're probably right. Given that changing the resolution sorted it albeit temporarily, points to something in there somewhere.

Thanks for your efforts Bob, I'll tinker when I get the chance and if i can locate the actual condition that affects MC will let you know.

Scobie
It doesn't seem to be cinnamon, once I finally got that working on my ubuntu 18.04 box it worked fine with the open file dialog as well.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2018, 06:59:15 pm »

ok thanks Bob. That's good news actually as Cinnamon works better in the build.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2018, 07:38:30 am »

Might call this one fixed.

Ripped out Cinnamon and installed LXDE and can now import no problem. And have a desktop that is a bit lighter on resources.

So have no idea what the actual cause was, but there was an incompatibility of some sort buried deep in there somewhere.

Cheers

Scobie

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2018, 10:00:59 am »

Might call this one fixed.

Ripped out Cinnamon and installed LXDE and can now import no problem. And have a desktop that is a bit lighter on resources.

So have no idea what the actual cause was, but there was an incompatibility of some sort buried deep in there somewhere.

Cheers

Scobie
Thanks for the report back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up