INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WAV imports as 'DATA' file  (Read 2453 times)

hillcreative

• World Citizen
WAV imports as 'DATA' file
« on: June 14, 2018, 06:01:54 pm »

I have some WAV files that always import as 'DATA' files and leaves out all the metadata except under the Tag Dump. After changing the file type to 'AUDIO' I can update the metadata but 'DURATION' and 'BITRATE' are blank. I think in previous versions the same files would be skipped when doing a mass import... at least we're getting closer to perfection :)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: WAV imports as 'DATA' file
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 12:30:01 pm »

Can you send me one? bob (at) jriver (dot) com
What's special about them?

hillcreative

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 07:11:37 am »

Thanks Bob, DropBox invite sent with 3 WAV examples that don't import with metadata

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 09:58:04 am »

Thanks Bob, DropBox invite sent with 3 WAV examples that don't import with metadata
Not seeing the invite in my inbox.
Can you PM it or try again?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 11:40:59 am »

Ok so they import and play fine for me on linux and Matt on windows.

What I like you to try doing is to delete all of the files imported as Data in MC (just choose the option to remove them from the database).
Then create a new SmartList under playlists.
Call it "Bad or Removed"
Set the Media Type is and check all of the possibilities (Audio, empty, data, etc)
Then under Modify Results
Limit Database to
choose Removed and Bad
and hit Ok.

The smartlist will be created that has all of the inactive database entries in it.
Ctrl-A on that to select all and hit delete
Refresh the view and do it a second time if there are still some there.

Now that the database has those cleaned out, try the import again. If you are using auto-import you can just run the auto-import otherwise import a specific folder.
Note that if there are other files in a specific folder that you have already imported you'll want to use the option to not reimport them otherwise you'll end up with dups.

Report back!

hillcreative

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 02:14:32 pm »

These files will import and play back, they just don't show any metadata and are listed as type 'Data.' I'll follow your directions and try another import.

hillcreative

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 04:01:50 pm »

Cleaned out the old database and re-imported the files as before. Same result: there are a bunch of WAV files that come up as 'Media Type' 'Data' with no metadata. Same files are affected. The files will play in MC but the metadata is missing.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 04:20:13 pm »

Weird, they work fine on my system.
Did you remove them as data files then clean out the removed files with that playlist?

I see cover art, etc for each one and they are in the audio section, not the data section.

Perhaps check your Options->File Types->Associations?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 04:53:13 pm »

Try changing the Media Sub-type tag to audio.

hillcreative

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 05:49:10 pm »

Weird, they work fine on my system.
Did you remove them as data files then clean out the removed files with that playlist?

I see cover art, etc for each one and they are in the audio section, not the data section.

Perhaps check your Options->File Types->Associations?
I also cleaned out everything and then re-imported and they (about 300 of 6K files) continue to show as Media Type: Data. The Data files play as WAV and audio files it just seems that something in the metadata triggers them as Data. They also show as File Type: WAV but Media Type: Data with no metadata.

hillcreative

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 05:53:55 pm »

Try changing the Media Sub-type tag to audio.
I can change the Media Type to Audio from Data but the metadata is gone and needs to be re-entered. These are correctly tagged WAV files that contain ID3 v2.3 and Chunk data and play fine in Windows Media, Winamp and other programs with no problem with metadata. MC24 just seems to dislike them. BTW MC23 used to completely ignore these same files and not import as 'Audio' files until Bob fixed that issue. When they were working in MC23 they broght in the metadata no problem!

hillcreative

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 05:57:17 pm »

Showing file# 116-07 as a WAV file with Media Type as Data

hillcreative

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 06:01:36 pm »

After changing Media Type to Audio. Note the tag dump (lower left) that shows metadata that *does* come after changing Media Type to Audio.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 08:52:04 am »

Is there something special about the filepath for the files that don't import correctly?
Spaces or special characters in the filepath?
On a different drive?

hillcreative

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 02:54:08 pm »

All my WAV files are on an external Windows share as you can see from the screenshot file path. All the files (including the bad ones) where ripped using the same software and tagging software. There must be some kind of metadata flag that MC24 doesn't like...I wish I knew where and what.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 03:02:07 pm »

All my WAV files are on an external Windows share as you can see from the screenshot file path. All the files (including the bad ones) where ripped using the same software and tagging software. There must be some kind of metadata flag that MC24 doesn't like...I wish I knew where and what.
Don't think it can be metadata since yours imported into my MC flawlessly.
Maybe for a test just create an empty library and re-import just one folder where files aren't showing up in MC properly and to see if the results are consistent.

hillcreative

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2018, 09:42:59 am »

Don't think it can be metadata since yours imported into my MC flawlessly.
Maybe for a test just create an empty library and re-import just one folder where files aren't showing up in MC properly and to see if the results are consistent.
Learned a few things on re-import of WAV files:
Looks like the files most affected are the first 2 or 3 hundred to import! When I removed the files listed as DATA and then did a re-import MC24 had problems with the remaining files in numerical order, so you are right. The individual files I've listed at BAD will actually import with no problem, but something bogs down MC24 when doing a full import of thousands of files over a Windows share. But only the first 2 or 3 hundred. Using Ubuntu latest build on i7 Intel with SSD and 8GB memory.

hillcreative

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 09:53:14 am »

UPDATE
Its possible to fix the metadata on the bad import files listed as DATA. Tools-Library Tool-Update Library (from tags) Will "repair" the metadata and update the Media Type to AUDIO as it should, however it only works on 5-10 files at a time from the library. Mass file selection will show no changes to the metadata! Something is bogging down MC24 on imports.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 11:15:13 am »

UPDATE
Its possible to fix the metadata on the bad import files listed as DATA. Tools-Library Tool-Update Library (from tags) Will "repair" the metadata and update the Media Type to AUDIO as it should, however it only works on 5-10 files at a time from the library. Mass file selection will show no changes to the metadata! Something is bogging down MC24 on imports.
Very interesting,
Do you have MC set to analyze audio or build thumbs on import?

hillcreative

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 11:21:47 am »

Very interesting,
Do you have MC set to analyze audio or build thumbs on import?
No analyze, yes thumbs

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 11:28:50 am »

No analyze, yes thumbs
Can you see what it does without the thumbailing?
Is it only wav files that are an issue?

hillcreative

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 12:23:39 pm »

Can you see what it does without the thumbailing?
Is it only wav files that are an issue?
I've tried the import both ways with the same result. Yes, only WAV files. All the same 44.1, 16 bit, 2 channel PCM WAV files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up