INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: License Problem  (Read 900 times)

bg35

License Problem
« on: June 20, 2018, 10:46:20 am »

About three weeks ago, I purchased Media Center 24 and installed it successfully on one of my three computers (it's running Windows 7).  But since then, I have found that MC24 will not run on my other two (Windows) computers.  MC23 does work fine on these machines, but whenever I try to install the license that came with MC24, the installation doesn't work.  Yes, the licensing process informs me that it's worked - and one re-installation is deducted from my total yearly allowance - but when I then run the MC23 program, I find that it's still a trial copy and I have x-number of days before I must purchase the software.

What must I do to get MC23 registered and running properly?  If necessary, I'm willing to buy a separate license for MC23 - but so far, every time I follow links to purchase such, I am told that I am about to purchase a license for MC24 ... which, of course, I already have.

How can I get License and Registration for MC23 instead of MC24?  Or, how can I modify the license I've already bought (for MC24) so that it will install on my copies of MC23?

Also, how might I recover the four or five installations of the MC24 license that have been deducted from my yearly allowance due to the several failed installations of MC23.

Many thanks for any help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: License Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 11:07:36 am »

You would get that problem if MC23 tried to install an MC24 license.  You must install MC24 first, then restore.

We can reset your restores if you run out.  Use the Install Key for 14 days without using a restore.

Here's how licensing works:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

bg35

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 04:50:27 pm »

Thank you for the quick response - but I still don't understand how I can get a license for MC23 (and not MC24).  MC24 will not complete an installation of itself on two of my computers (error messages pop up and then the installation process is canceled), so I can't install MC24 and then retrofit it back to MC23.  The only version that loads and functions fine on two of my computers is MC23.  So that's why I think I need a license specific to MC23 in order to keep that program running after 30 days.

Thank you for you help.

bg35

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 11:39:19 am »

Success. I've suddenly been able to license copies of Media Center 23 on the two computers which cannot run MC24.  But I'm not sure why the process worked this time.

Here's what I did:  when the "This is a trial copy..." message appeared on first opening MC23, I clicked on "Restore License" and when the window opened up asking for my registration code, I entered what I'd received when I registered MC24.  (Actually, because I had opened the email from you containing that code, the 30-character registration automatically appeared in the box.)  When I then clicked the OK button, a box popped up saying my copy of Media Center had been duly registered.  ... Now, I had received the same confirmation during my past attempts to register MC23 - but when I re-opened the program again, I discovered that it was still unlicensed.  This time, however, the registration did work - and on both computers that were trying to run MC23.

I don't know why the process worked this morning;  I guess I did something differently, but for the life of me I can't figure out what that might be.

Anyway, gift horses and mouths - my two copies of MC23 are now registered and working fine.

... My annual quota of 12 restores is now down to 4 or 5, given all the false registrations I went through when trying unsuccessfully to license MC23.  I wonder if you could reset my quota, as I may be upgrading all my computers soon & may have to restore my Media Centers again.

Thank you for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up