INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grouping by album artist  (Read 1659 times)

BenUAE

Grouping by album artist
« on: June 24, 2018, 02:27:03 pm »

Hi all

I have been trying to find a way to group "albums by album artist" for a while. it appears that the default group setting is "album by artist" - which works fine until an album has several artists (compilation, or classical music ) - then it shows Multiple Artists.

I have a lot of classical music where the "Album Artist" is the composer or the main vocalist for instance and would rather show that info in my grouping set up. I cannot find a way to achieve this.

I have a custom field that shows the right information ([Album] by [Album Artist (auto)]), but have not been able to get it as a group.

Has anybody any suggestion?

Thx!

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Grouping by album artist
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 02:42:56 pm »

you could add to the tag group by....there are many ways to do what you want....good luck
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

BenUAE

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 03:33:18 pm »

ok - that is helpful - thanks for the suggestion
I agree, this software is extraordinarily powerful and flexible. I have quite a bit of experience using it and still find ways to improve the output

I was hoping not to re tag all the files since the information is already there - and it it just a question of sorting it
I have attached a print screen for the sake of clarity. The circled section should read Aaron Copland instead of Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra

Hope this clarifies

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 04:52:31 pm »

If you have the information in the tags, just create a new view.  Right click on Audio to start.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/View_Schemes

BenUAE

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 11:43:57 pm »

Thanks guys for taking the time to assist
I think I poorly phrased my question - my apologies. Let me try to clarify

I am already in a new view where I manipulate my library the way I find it more useful. I certainly can aggregate the tracks per album by album artist. What causes me trouble is the functionality "Group By" which seems to order by artist by default when I select to group by Album (see the print screen attached)

I find this "Group by" Functionality quite elegant and use it a lot, and have been trying to get it to order by Album Artists rather than Artist

I came across this work around: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=104177.0
this seem good enough to me, but then I cannot manage to select the newly created expression as a group. but in substance, this is what I was trying to achieve

Thanks again

Pages: [1]   Go Up