INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convert on client or two servers sharing library?  (Read 937 times)

TomScrut

• Recent member
Convert on client or two servers sharing library?
« on: July 06, 2018, 10:13:25 am »

Hi All

I have an Intel NUC running 100% of the time which is set up as my MC library server.

I have my gaming PC set up with MC acting as a client, accessing the main library.

All my music is in FLAC but I need to convert it to MP3 for use on phones/in car etc. I would like to sync with a folder on my NAS where my FLAC is stored (both PCs can see this drive). Using the client I have created the folder I want as a device and all is OK other than when I go to sync the server is the one doing the conversion which is not optimal given it is a 2c/4t running at about 2.5GHz and my big PC is 6c/12t running at 4.5GHz.

So, is there a setting to make the client PC convert (I cannot seem to find one) or a method where both PCs can be servers sharing the same library so the more powerful PC can carry out the conversion. I do not want to make my big PC the only server as I don't want it running all the time. I also do not want to be creating a backup of my library to load in the client every time I want to convert new music.

Is it as simple as having the library files on the NAS so both can access it simultaneously?

Any ideas?

I haven't seen anyone with this exact issue on here having done a decent amount of searching.

Cheers

Tom

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Convert on client or two servers sharing library?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 10:21:43 am »

You can tell MC to use a folder as a Handheld Device.  It's in the settings for adding a Handheld.  Then you can sync to it and choose whatever conversion you want.

TomScrut

• Recent member
Re: Convert on client or two servers sharing library?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 10:38:54 am »

You can tell MC to use a folder as a Handheld Device.  It's in the settings for adding a Handheld.  Then you can sync to it and choose whatever conversion you want.

Thanks for the reply, but I have already done that. The issue is that when it is syncing it is using the (less powerful) server rather than the PC I am doing the sync on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up