Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM  (Read 1261 times)

Gregory2001

• Junior Woodchuck
WDM
« on: July 11, 2018, 09:36:06 am »

I just switched over to WDM (which sounds great by the way) but sometimes when I start to play a track all I get is "IPC Waiting".  Can anybody help me with what this is and what I can do about it?  Thanks.

Gregory2001

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: WDM
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 06:35:07 pm »

Again, WDM works fine.  The sound is great.  But now, the other Windows sounds have stopped working.  Can anybody help?  Thanks.

Gregory2001

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 08:01:08 pm »

One more:  Pausing/stopping playback results in IPC Live/Live and minutes/seconds continue to count up.  I guess I'll have to go back to Windows regular speakers.  Thanks.

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 10:48:06 pm »

Here is the link to the wiki instructions on WDM setup
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver

You will find people are more helpful if you give more information about your setup, ie what are you playing to etc.  I hope the link will help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 12:27:33 am »

Check MC's Audio settings for the output device (not WDM) that you play to.  Uncheck Exclusive Mode.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 08:20:30 pm »

When you select music to play in MC it will be passed via IPC to the WDM Driver which will allow the application of DSP studio settings and then on to your audio output device.

That statement is a bit confusing. To clarify:

When you select music to play in MC it will be played directly in MC and output to the Audio Device selected under "Options > Audio > Audio Device", and will use the Device settings and DSP as defined under "Options > Audio".

When playing any audio from an external source, where that source is able to select the WDM as an Output, or the WDM is selected as the default Windows Playback Device and the source is playing to the default Windows audio device, the WDM is then the Input to MC. MC then plays that audio to the Output device selected under "Options > Audio > Audio Device", and will use the Device settings and DSP as defined under "Options > Audio".

So;
External Source > WDM Driver > JRiver Media Center (including DSP if defined) > Output Device defined under "Options > Audio > Audio Device".

The key point is that the WDM is an Input to MC, and should never be selected as the Output under "Options > Audio > Audio Device". Also, when the WDM is selected as the default Windows Playback Device, the Default Audio Device should never be selected under "Options > Audio > Audio Device". Doing either would create a positive feedback loop if MC wasn't smart enough to mute the output, which is what it does.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Gregory2001

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 09:13:22 am »

Thanks everybody for all of your input.  Still no luck here, though.  Maybe I'll try again sometime.

macallan18

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 01:20:45 pm »

Check MC's Audio settings for the output device (not WDM) that you play to.  Uncheck Exclusive Mode.

I have everything working well, and I also have Exclusive mode checked on.  Should I check it off as you recommend?  What does the change do?

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 02:25:17 pm »

exclusive is just that...when MC is open or playing no other sounds will be heard from anything else....if it's not broken don't fix it..... ;)
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up