INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote using cellular network  (Read 1388 times)

Blamo

• Recent member
JRemote using cellular network
« on: July 30, 2018, 12:57:25 pm »

My setup is MC24 running on a MacMini.  My Internet is wireless using 4GLTE.  My issue is that MC cannot be seen outside of my local network.  What I have been able to accomplish is using a Tunneling package (PageKite) that allows me to access MC24 Server via a webpage using panel.  All I need to do is use my name:  xxx.pagekite.me:5222 (I could use 52199, but changed that to 5222 when I was working on other methods of access).  It's cool, it works but the interface and caching of music isn't the best.  I would like to use JRemote.  Problem is that I can't use xxx.pagekite.me because JRemote wants an IP Address - which I cannot provide.  Any solutions?

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
Re: JRemote using cellular network
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 03:06:48 pm »

Open a port on your router (MC port#) and direct that port to your server; access remotely with JRemote through your router's external ip. Go to whatsmyip.org to see what that is. It may change every so often according to your provider unless you have a static IP. Test at home first to get it working.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

Blamo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 03:33:28 pm »

Hey - thanks for the reply, but unfortunately, that doesn't work because I do not have a public IP address and MC can't be seen out on the internet.  That is why I am using the PageKite tunneling software.  The issue that I am having with JRemote and the PageKite tunneler is that JRemote does not recognize the server by name (i.e., xxx.pagekite.me where xxx is my unique name), only IP address.  I am looking to JRiver for a solution/workaround for this.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Blamo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 04:25:09 pm »

I read through that already but it doesn't really answer my specific question regarding Server Name rather than Server Address for JRemote

Blamo

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 04:30:36 pm »

Let me elaborate.  Panel using web works because I can use a server name.  MO 4media works because I can use my server name.  Gizmo and WebGizmo do not work because they want the Access key and JRemote does not work because it doesn't accept a server name.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 04:42:10 pm »

I see the same issue.  I don't think the android remotes (Gizmo and JRemote) will accept Fully-Qualified Domain Names (FQDNs) instead of ip addresses unfortunately.  This is on my wish list too.

Blamo

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 11:07:47 am »

Not being familiar with the APIs, I wonder what kind of an effort it would be?  Other, inferior apps are doing it so it would be nice to see it in JRemote and Gizmo.

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 11:21:32 am »

[unfriendly] Workaround, if your IP address doesn’t change much, just enter it in those apps. Then, set up dynamic DNS so that you can fix it when a new lease breaks connectivity.

Blamo

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 11:38:28 am »

Yeah, I get different IP addresses when I use things like IPChicken, WhatsMyIP, etc.  Tried 'em all and get nothing.  Thanks for the suggestion, however.

Blamo

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 08:20:18 am »

Can the moderator comment as to whether there is a workaround for using FQDNs in place of IP addresses for JRemote.  I have been through the Wiki and found no solution.  Are there plans to allow JRemote to utilize FQDNs?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 08:38:31 am »

Maybe.

justsomeguy

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 10:56:10 pm »

Can the moderator comment as to whether there is a workaround for using FQDNs in place of IP addresses for JRemote.  I have been through the Wiki and found no solution.  Are there plans to allow JRemote to utilize FQDNs?

Try adding a server to JRemote by IP address first, use the local lan IP of your server so it can make the initial connection. After that edit the newly created server and change the IP to your domain and it should work. At least it did for me. So JRemote is capable but there is a bug I guess in the server setup it seems.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 11:33:11 pm »

Can't you hit it with Access Key and Port Forwarding?

tasar

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 01:29:28 pm »

Go thru Airport, it will set an internal IP address of sorts. You will have to recreate address if you shut down as Airport will not save. Use this address in settings when you open JRemote. You do not need internet or cellular access nor router provided both are Apple devices. I do this from Mini and Book all the time.

Now with Panel, you have the best of both worlds, Open the App on your pad, enter access number, hit streaming on media computer, and away you go. No server, Router, but you will have to enable a hotspot from your cellular device. Using data is justifiable as you are getting Flac ( red book ) quality streams. Excellent
Pages: [1]   Go Up