INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: external DACs with Id Classic - experiences to share, good & bad?  (Read 1089 times)

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"

Thinking of adding a DAC to my setup - between Id Classic and my ancient Adcom preamp. The point would be to improve output to my 2.1 listening room setup. Could replace the preamp with a preamp/DAC combo (the NAD products are intriguing).

What are people using? Loving? Not so much?

TrevorW

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: external DACs with Id Classic - experiences to share, good & bad?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 03:19:57 pm »

Hi This2ShallPass,
Just seen your post and thought I'd see how you got on.
I have an external Benchmark USB DAC between my Synolgy DS411 and Rotel 1582/1590 setup sounds sooo much better than CD's played on the CD transport.

You have to setup the correct device so check with the forum that the DAC you plan to use is supported or can be configured for use.

I was one of the early adopters of the Id so my Id hardware is not as swanky as some but everything seems to run really well. Let us know how you got on.

REgards
Regards
Trevor McCarthy-White
Synology DS411 NAS server/JR ID24.0.17/MC26.0.107-5/Benchmark DAC1 USB/Rotel RC1590/RB1582Mk2/Bowers and Wilkins CM10S2/CM1S2/Ruark Dialogue/REL R205

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
Re: external DACs with Id Classic - experiences to share, good & bad?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 07:08:43 pm »

Oh cool, Trevor! Thanks for replying! I ended up with an Id Classic, which I had running through my 35 year old Adcom GTP-500 MKII before the lightning strike took them both out. Replaced the Id, and I spent the summer doing some component shopping, and played with an NAD setup and a Rotel setup. I found the Rotel a touch warmer (the RC-1572 preamp, powered by my trusty Adcom GFA-555 MKII which survived the lightning (STRONG LIKE BULL!)), so I bought the Rotel. I had the Rotel RCD-1570 already, and frankly adore the sound straight from the player. I kept it that way (running analog between the player and the preamp, instead of the digital out from the player), and it sounds great to my ears.

At this point, I can't afford to be playing with dedicated external DACs, but I'm pretty happy with the setup!

Prost!
Pages: [1]   Go Up