INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Format conversion with volume leveling applied is fading in all tracks  (Read 881 times)

JookieCola

• Recent member

When converting format and applying the 'standard' jriver effects (output format, volume leveling, and adaptive volume). the resulting conversion has a 15 second fade in applied.  I tested this with volume leveling on/off and adaptive volume on/off, and it seems to only occur when both of them are on. I also tested converting to different formats (mp3 to flac, wav, etc.) with consistent results.

Windows 10 (x64)
Media Center 24.0.41 (x64)

See attached screen shots

swiv3d

Re: Format conversion with volume leveling applied is fading in all tracks
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 03:59:15 pm »

I have just tried this applying all of your settings on a flac to flac conversion and don't see any fade in. What are you converting from and to? I will then give that a try.

JookieCola

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 06:20:36 pm »

<snip> What are you converting from and to? I will then give that a try.

From flac and mp3 to either flac or wav (see attached screen shot).  I have used media center's conversion with those settings for years and never had a problem until last night.  It has been a few weeks since I have converted anything so...

I was actually blaming my DAW thinking it was acting up, but then I opened the files in other programs and same thing.  Depending on the audio being converted, it can be hard to tell because it is fairly subtle (a nice very smooth fade to be honest, lol).  I didn't notice it in the audio or the wave until I worked on a very loud heavy song.  I attached a the wave form of a musically average song, but you can still see it.

I appreciate the reply and assistance with this swiv3d   :D 

FYI I have tested this with as many variables as I can think of (changing compression, sample output, number of files being converted, padding, etc) and as long as the 3 dsp settings are selected, it does it. 

- mr. cola

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 12:20:11 am »

I wouldn't be surprised if it's caused by adaptive volume.
Some file conversion DSP, such as volume leveling and adaptive volume, behaves differently than it does during playback.

Adaptive volume (peak level normalization) will use a fixed offset during playback if the track is analyzed, but operates in adaptive mode during conversion.
Volume leveling only operates in track-mode during conversion, not album mode.

swiv3d

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 04:30:09 am »

Carefully selected all of your settings, including 64bit in the conversion options, flac to mp3, used Take it to the limit by the eagles cos of its non fady start and the results are attached - no sign of a fade in.

swiv3d

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 04:39:23 am »

Flac to wav has the same result - no fade in.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 04:43:29 am »

Are your files fully analyzed for volume level?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

swiv3d

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 04:52:52 am »

Well mine are Hendrik, but don't know about JookieCola's

JookieCola

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 12:45:14 pm »

<snip> used Take it to the limit by the eagles cos of its non fady start <snip>

Problem solved.  I used multiple DAWs to check the wave form when I started troubleshooting and I did not realize that they were all set to use the same remote wave form editor (dumb and will never happen again), which was updated a couple weeks ago, and has a serious bug. 

In my defense, I did not think it was JRiver until all signs pointed back to the conversion. 

I have been using JRiver for a very long time (I apparently emailed myself the license for media jukebox 8 from msn to gmail in January 2005, so before that...  :o ) and this is the first time I ran into something I thought I needed to post about.  Of course it wouldn't be media center... lol  ;D

I apologize and greatly appreciate all of your replies and assistance.  It is very much appreciated. 

- J.C.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 12:55:59 pm »

Thanks.  We don't get many apologies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up