INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up firewall rules  (Read 1669 times)

jachin99

• Citizen of the Universe
Setting up firewall rules
« on: August 10, 2018, 10:04:03 pm »

I tried to access JRiver's web interface but quickly got an error page so I went into the windows firewall settings where I didn't see an exceptions for JRiver.  In order to allow JRiver through my firewall, exactly what do I add an exception for under allow an app through the firewall.  Looking under the Program Files directory (I'm on 64 bit) I see there is MC24.exe, JRweb.exe, JRWorker.exe, and Media Center 24.exe.  Do I need to allow all of these?

If I am approaching this the wrong way, is there some better way to let JRiver through Windows firewall?  Thanks. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Setting up firewall rules
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 11:15:52 pm »

My firewall rules for MC were all automatically created, usually with a prompt to me as I have it set to do that.

On my MC Client workstation there are rules for JRweb.exe, JRWorker.exe, and Media Center 24.exe, but not MC24.exe.
On my MC Server HTPC there are rules for JRweb.exe and Media Center 24.exe, but not JRWorker.exe or MC24.exe.

Everything seems to be working fine.

Note that I use Norton security firewall, not the Windows Firewall. That shouldn't make a difference.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jachin99

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 11:20:36 pm »

I rolled back to a restore point earlier, and had to reinstall MC on one machine so maybe that had something to do with it.  Either way thanks for the help, and its nice to know for sure what I need. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 01:33:35 am »

My firewall rules for MC were all automatically created, usually with a prompt to me as I have it set to do that.
It's very important that the firewall is set to do this.  Otherwise, it will block whatever it wants to and never tell you.

It's also good to read the messages it provides.  It's too easy to just click OK without reading.

jachin99

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 11:59:22 pm »

Alright so it looks like I have JRiver's web service up and running after adding these exceptions but I'm curious about what each of these programs do.  I could make assumptions based on their name like JR web.exe is probably the web service (MCWS, Panel, etc.) but I'm sure some of those assumptions would be wrong.  Thanks. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up