INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Id problems - crashing with Gizmo and no cover art  (Read 1696 times)

RobPanda

• Recent member
New Id problems - crashing with Gizmo and no cover art
« on: August 12, 2018, 11:49:42 am »

Hi
My new NUC Id arrived 2 and bit weeks ago and it has proved to be a bit of a pain. Initially, I connected up an external USB drive built my library from there. So far so good and was able to play music via 3.5 mm jack, optical and Dragonfly USB with monitor/keyboard and mouse attached. Some cover art but nowhere near all was also included in the library.

Next step, transfer files over to Id 2Tb hard drive (/home/media/Music) using copy files function to. This copies about 750/800 tracks and then no more and MC freezes. Wait an hour or so and try again, MC freezes and no more files added. Tried doing this on numerous occasions over the next few days and still no success.
When doing this noticed that the Music folder contains an empty folder entitled ournas. Using Windows remote all music copied into the internal storage/media folder shown in windows explorer from PC (which runs MC24). Clear library and rebuild using the newly copied files which have been put into the ournas folder even though this was not showing on the windows pc. Never mind library works and can play music as above. No cover art though and even if I choose a jpg from file it does not show.

Next step, try out Gizmo and panel on an android tablet. Click on Audio then either Artist or Albums get a list of files with the default note icon. As soon as I scroll down MC on the Id closes and reopens and lose contact with the Id. Alternatively, if i 'click' on the 1st icon no tracks appear so nothing can be played.

Help. my patience is run down, my inkling is that there is a fault with the NUC itself or the way Id is set up on it, and there are two issues to solve.

1) MC on Id crashing when using Gizmo or panel.
2) How to get cover art installed. All the cover art is now in the ournas folder but MC won't allow me to set this filepath as the default.

Gizmo works fine with MC24 on my windows laptop and I can connect to the Id and play music from there on the Id.

Cheers
Rob

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: New Id problems - crashing with Gizmo and no cover art
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 12:01:32 pm »

Hi
My new NUC Id arrived 2 and bit weeks ago and it has proved to be a bit of a pain. Initially, I connected up an external USB drive built my library from there. So far so good and was able to play music via 3.5 mm jack, optical and Dragonfly USB with monitor/keyboard and mouse attached. Some cover art but nowhere near all was also included in the library.
I'm sorry you're having trouble, but it's good that this worked.
Next step, transfer files over to Id 2Tb hard drive (/home/media/Music) using copy files function to.
Please explain how you are transferring the files.

What version of Windows?
This copies about 750/800 tracks and then no more and MC freezes. Wait an hour or so and try again, MC freezes and no more files added. Tried doing this on numerous occasions over the next few days and still no success.
It's possible that files are still being transferred, but nothing is reported.  Let it run overnight.
When doing this noticed that the Music folder contains an empty folder entitled ournas. Using Windows remote all music copied into the internal storage/media folder shown in windows explorer from PC (which runs MC24). Clear library and rebuild using the newly copied files which have been put into the ournas folder even though this was not showing on the windows pc. Never mind library works and can play music as above. No cover art though and even if I choose a jpg from file it does not show.
Good that it worked.  Cover art is probably solvable.  Get this working before you go on though.  In MC settings, check what the Cover Art directory is set to.  If you have cover art, set this location correctly, then right click on a few files and do Cover Art > Quick Find.
Next step, try out Gizmo and panel on an android tablet. Click on Audio then either Artist or Albums get a list of files with the default note icon. As soon as I scroll down MC on the Id closes and reopens and lose contact with the Id. Alternatively, if i 'click' on the 1st icon no tracks appear so nothing can be played.
As I said, get playback working smoothly on the Id, and then start with a remote.

RobPanda

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 12:35:07 pm »

Hi Jim and thanks for replying on a sunday. If this comes out a bit odd then apologies as I'm new to including quotes in forum responses.

Next step, transfer files over to Id 2Tb hard drive (/home/media/Music) using copy files function to.

Please explain how you are transferring the files.
Using the Rename, copy and move function in MC on the Id. This is from the Seagate USB external drive which was attached to the Id. No windows PC involved at this stage. I tried a few times and waited 24 hours for results on one occasion with no joy.
What version of Windows?It's possible that files are still being transferred, but nothing is reported.  Let it run overnight.Good that it worked.  Cover art is probably solvable.  Get this working before you go on though.  In MC settings, check what the Cover Art directory is set to.  If you have cover art, set this location correctly, then right click on a few files and do Cover Art > Quick Find.
As I said, get playback working smoothly on the Id, and then start with a remote.

Cover art is in two locations. On initial set up about a dozen images were stored in the default location. As I can't copy files to there I have also created a folder (/home/media/Music/ournas/Cover Art/) remotely at a later date.
If I set the cover art filepath to /home/media/Music/ournas/Cover Art/ I get the error message "specified track image location is not valid (may not have the file create / permissions). I have just browsed to a cover art file, selected it and on clicking ok MC 24 shut down and restarted.
Tried again for the cover art which was transferred to the default location on start up and this time I could select it Ok but it does not show up, just the music note still.

I get a feeling that this is all graphics related causing crashing. Playback works fine on the Id itself when in GUI mode but not in any other as far as I can tell.

Thanks

Rob

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 12:53:31 pm »

We need to wait for Bob.  About 1700 GMT tomorrow.

Did you try the Quick Find?

RobPanda

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 01:04:25 pm »

Hi Jim
I tried quick find and also the 'add from file' method. Tried to explain it in my last post.

Will wait until tomorrow then.
Thanks
Rob

RobPanda

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 03:05:27 pm »

Anything?  Anyone?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 03:55:57 pm »

Anything?  Anyone?
How and why are you copying into the /home/media/Music directory? That's on a small system only filesystem that has a symlink into the /export filesystem where all of the space is.

The proper way to copy files onto the Id is via it's samba/cifs share from a Mac or PC.
You will see a share called InternalStorage and under that is a README.TXT and a media folder where media should be copied to.

RobPanda

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 02:42:50 am »

How and why are you copying into the /home/media/Music directory? That's on a small system only filesystem that has a symlink into the /export filesystem where all of the space is.

Hello Bob

I'd read the install guide and had seen that method for file transfer. However, I didn't have a network cable at home and thought that file transfer, from the external hard drive attached to the Id to the Id and using the copy files function, would be quicker than over wifi. From memory /home/media/Music was the location that was already set for music in the auto import set up pane. Seemed logical that music would go into a directory called music.

If this is a small directory then I have 'overfilled it' maybe and this could be causing the problems? I did try deleting files from here from within MC using the delete, remove from media library and permanently delete from hard drive selection but this did not work.

When connecting to the Id from my PC over wifi I get the internal storage folder/media folder option and have transferred files that way. Using configure auto import as a file explorer I see that this internal storage/media directory is found at /home/media/Music/ournas. ournas is not a directory I created.

So the question is how to solve the problems I'm having. Interestingly, when I turned the Id on just now I saw some cover art and MC did not shutdown then restart when using Gizmo and scrolling. No song titles appear under any album though.

Thanks for your help.

Rob   

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 09:35:18 am »

Hello Bob

I'd read the install guide and had seen that method for file transfer. However, I didn't have a network cable at home and thought that file transfer, from the external hard drive attached to the Id to the Id and using the copy files function, would be quicker than over wifi. From memory /home/media/Music was the location that was already set for music in the auto import set up pane. Seemed logical that music would go into a directory called music.

If this is a small directory then I have 'overfilled it' maybe and this could be causing the problems? I did try deleting files from here from within MC using the delete, remove from media library and permanently delete from hard drive selection but this did not work.

When connecting to the Id from my PC over wifi I get the internal storage folder/media folder option and have transferred files that way. Using configure auto import as a file explorer I see that this internal storage/media directory is found at /home/media/Music/ournas. ournas is not a directory I created.

So the question is how to solve the problems I'm having. Interestingly, when I turned the Id on just now I saw some cover art and MC did not shutdown then restart when using Gizmo and scrolling. No song titles appear under any album though.

Thanks for your help.

Rob   

Yes you are correct, the Music directory on the main partition is small and you likely overfilled it.

The ournas directory is really a symlink into that InternalShare/media directory on the large partition. It should not be removed or otherwise changed, it's how auto-import works as the Id comes configured.

The delete should work. Perhaps try just a few at a time first to free up some space. Do the permanent delete, not the recycle bin since the drive is likely full.

You aren't getting cover art since there is no place to store the thumbs since the partition is full.

RobPanda

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 12:20:37 pm »

Yes you are correct, the Music directory on the main partition is small and you likely overfilled it.

The ournas directory is really a symlink into that InternalShare/media directory on the large partition. It should not be removed or otherwise changed, it's how auto-import works as the Id comes configured.

The delete should work. Perhaps try just a few at a time first to free up some space. Do the permanent delete, not the recycle bin since the drive is likely full.

You aren't getting cover art since there is no place to store the thumbs since the partition is full.

OK. I'm going to have to import the files into the library first to then be able to delete them.
Best to clear the library and the internal storage folder first to speed things up a bit?
Ta
Rob

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 12:38:04 pm »

OK. I'm going to have to import the files into the library first to then be able to delete them.
Best to clear the library and the internal storage folder first to speed things up a bit?
Ta
Rob
If you have already imported the tracks onto the Id you can just delete the database entries (the top option in the delete function) for those tracks on the Id and re-import them after they are moved into the correct place on the external drive and the cover art is added from the laptop and recopied to the Id.

Libraries are relatively small. It won't matter that you have a local library on the windows laptop and another on the Id. You can just ignore the one on the laptop once you make the manipulations you need.
This is exactly how I handle my setup at home

RobPanda

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 10:25:38 am »

Success and hurrah. Music and cover art are all well and MC is stable and sounds good through the hifi.

Might it be an idea to give the correct Id filepath, in the install guide, to use if copying files using the MC function. There's bound to be another like me along sooner or later.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

Pages: [1]   Go Up