INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No hi-res audio (solved)  (Read 670 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
No hi-res audio (solved)
« on: September 03, 2018, 02:13:04 pm »

Hi there

I've recently updated my graphics card to a Nvidia GT1030 to give me a bit more oomph for handling 4k video. For audio I'm outputting via the HDMI port to a Denon AVR-X1400 receiver (upgraded at about the same time). I'm pretty sure that all my cabling is HDMI 2.0.

Since the upgrade, I've noticed several issues with audio, including buffering with some hi-res sources, including sacd images. I dimly recall having similar issues in the past, but had resolved them and everything was running fine up until the upgrade. Digging a bit deeper I had a look at the Audio Path, and it seems that everything is being resampled down to 48khz. Seems to be the case both DirectSound and WASAPI. (I have to be a bit careful with terminology now, as I'm already out of my depth.... ;-))

I'n using the current up to date NVidia driver set.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

(Copy of thread in the sound devices section)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: No hi-res audio
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 10:55:07 pm »

Maybe look at the output settings in DSP studio?

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Output_Format

Maybe you have it set to convert to 48KHz.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 11:43:00 pm »

Thanks. But nothing set to do that.  :(

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 12:08:43 am »

Turn on Exclusive Mode for a start. Keep using WASAPI, not Direct Sound.

Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings > Open device for exclusive access.

If that doesn't do it, take a look at the Windows Audio Device Properties, under the Advanced tab, and see what audio formats are offered. That is what Windows thinks the device is capable of playing, and I think that is what is reported to MC. Do they include the file formats you are playing?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 12:33:55 am »

I'm running pretty much default settings, but i checked and exclusive mode is on, and other settings (bitdepth, resampling) are also default.
i'd never seen all the windows driver advanced stuff before, but there doesn't seem to be an issue there either. Supports 16 & 24 bit, 32 khz 44.1 48 88.2 96 176.4 and 192 as well.

i have another setup, also with an nvidia card and an older Denon amp. Same releases of software (except maybe the drivers). playing the same media, it is also resampling, but to 96khz, the highest res supported by the driver in this case . So its behaving as i expect.

Curiouser and curiouser

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 12:52:11 am »

GOT IT!

Rechecked the dsp studio output format options. The output encoding box was still set as none, but i hadn't checked the sample rates below (der...).
For whatever reason, these were all set to 48,000 khz... Rest them all to no change, and order is restored.

thanks for the help
Pages: [1]   Go Up