INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote & iOS12  (Read 1038 times)

amsco15

• World Citizen
JRemote & iOS12
« on: September 14, 2018, 12:00:53 pm »

In anticipation of the upcoming iOS 12 release.  JRemote had several major problems with iOS10, those were fixed sometime after the release.  I didn't experience any new issues with iOS11.  Anyone have insight into any problems with JRemote and iOS12 Beta?  Thanks.

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote & iOS12
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 03:15:49 pm »

I installed the iOS 12 GM when it was released, and JRemote doesn't seem any worse-off than iOS 11 - but that still means it's crashing regularly.

Neco

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 09:44:52 am »

Kind of disappointed with phone platform support as a whole to be honest.   From weird bugs to just a completely stunning lack of modern features it feels like a drag when I try to use JRemote on my iphone. 

it's almost like phones are Nth class citizens who were an idea at some point that got forgotten about.

RD James

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 11:44:33 am »

My understanding was that JRiver purchased JRemote and hired the developer, but then they disappeared and JRiver have been left with code that they didn't write, and I guess is complex to manage.
That's part of the reason why they're building Panel now, but it really seems like they either don't have the resources or aren't committed to developing something that is as powerful as JRemote and updated with more features / improvements.
I'm not opposed to a web-based UI if it works well, but Panel is a much worse experience than a native app on iOS.

And JRemote has become a very unstable app - often crashing the first time I open it, sometimes crashing Media Center on my PC when it connects, and video streaming in it is far from being a good experience on iOS now.
It doesn't help that iOS / Apple products are a low priority for JRiver. It's understandable that they don't like the more closed-off and proprietary nature of Apple, but at the same time iOS is where people actually pay for apps even if they have a smaller market share.
I'd much rather stick with JRiver, but it's getting to the point that I'm starting to investigate what other options there are for streaming media from my own servers to mobile devices.
I've already started to move away from Media Center for local video playback on my PC because their subtitle engine only really handles PGS and Vobsub subtitles properly, with no option to use an external subtitle renderer.

tyler69

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 11:59:11 am »

I completely agree with RD James. Being an "Apple user" the lack of development for JRemote is a pity (I won't go into general Apple-esk topics in order to stay on topic).

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 12:19:40 pm »

Here's why I'm closing this for now.

1.  General complaints don't help.

2.  If there are crashes, start a thread and see if other people have the same problem.  We get some crash reports from Apple.  I don't see a big problem in them.

3.  Apple is very unfriendly space for a developer like JRiver.  We had full support for iPod for a few years and then Apple locked the database.

4.  JRemote is pretty good, sells pretty well.

5.  JRemote was written using development tools that aren't mainstream.

6.  We have to choose our battles.  We're putting resources into Panel right now.  It's portable across all OS's.  That is probably the future.

While I'm usually grateful for feedback, general complaints aren't helpful.  And I don't appreciate speculation about JRiver's intentions.  It's a big world out there, and what we do has a lot of moving parts.  It's inevitable that we will be better at some things than at others.
Pages: [1]   Go Up