INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you listen to your music?  (Read 7392 times)

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
How do you listen to your music?
« on: May 23, 2003, 08:18:26 am »

I'm curious to know how everybody listen to his music with Media Center. Would you like to share this thread to talk about it?

I assume that there will be people using their pc stereo-speakers, headphones of different quality, home-theater pc sets, home-stereo systems, etc.

Also, there will be people that started with one system (pc-speakers for instance) and later switched to another (home-stereo)... and perhaps want to share their experiences and would like to recomend to others the switch.

-----

Talking about me, now  ;)  I have my computer in the living-room of my apartment, hooked to an Onkyo 7-years old stereo amplifier (2 channels only) with 2 Bose 100 watt speakers and always play my music through this system. Don't know if my neighbours think the same  ;D... but I'm satisfied with the sound quality that my system delivers.

I am thinking to upgrade my system in a future... perhaps a new Onkyo 5.1 with SPDIF... but I love my Bose speakers.

And what about you... How do you listen to your music?  ;)

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: How do you listen to your music?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 08:43:15 am »

I certainly do the PC speaker thing (Klipsch ProMedias) as well as listen via the iPod in the car or on the move.  I prefer, however, to listen via my main stereo (older Acurus Act-3 mated to DefTech speakers).  My PC is connected to the stereo via coax digital out.

but I love my Bose speakers.

I graduated from the Bose myth myself...
No offense intended but you should consider auditioning other brands.  Speaker choice can be a very personal experience but Bose are over priced for the performance they deliver.  There are much better speakers for the same money.  
You'd be amazed what a real tweeter and real bass drivers can do.  

shAf

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003, 08:52:06 am »

Thinkpad laptop, headphones out to my stereo components (NAD+Bose).  The laptop receives tunes from my 80Gb Media Server running upstairs via wireless NIC.

As soon as a settle my mind on which sound card, I'll replace the laptop with a quiet 200Gb desktop, and nix my dependence on wireless and Media Server.
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

nila

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 10:41:23 am »

Through my PC setup with some not too bad speakers on a 21" Sony Trinitor monitor - mmmm :)

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 10:54:07 am »

No highs, no lows, must be Bose...

Deivit

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2003, 11:09:57 am »

I
I graduated from the Bose myth myself...
No offense intended but you should consider auditioning other brands.  Speaker choice can be a very personal experience but Bose are over priced for the performance they deliver.  There are much better speakers for the same money.  
You'd be amazed what a real tweeter and real bass drivers can do.  

Of course there is no offense, ICamp  :) I'm always open to suggestions and that's whay I started this thread... exchanging opinions with other users is always rewarding.

My Bose and I have been together for more than 15 years now, and I love the sound they deliver. But, anyway... things are not eternal so... Any brand that I should consider browsing when my Bose pass away? ;)

-----
Listening to: 'Waiting in Vain' from 'Medusa' by 'Annie Lennox' on Media Center 9.0 through my Bose speakers  ;D

gkerber

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2003, 11:38:17 am »

The brand/model that sounds best to you is the best brand/model for you to have.  These is no "best".

I used to sell audio in my youth, whenever anyone asked what was "best", I sold them what I made the most money on......  (never trust a salesman)

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2003, 12:25:27 pm »

Started my digital music experience with Nomad Jukebox and a 6 gig Nomad. Even at 96 Kbps, I couldn't fit all my CDs into a 6 gig drive, so I just ripped my favorite tracks and left it at that. Although I started by putting songs on my hard drive too, I never really listened to them from there, so I ended up deleting them and using the Nomad as my primary audio player--either in the car (with a tape adapter) or in the living room (aux input to a stereo).

Later, I ended up buying a dedicated "media" PC for my living room. It's got a relatively slow processor, but a decent amount of memory (because it actually ends up running several apps at the same time, so I can just flip on my TV and go) and hard drive space (because it's got to store all my media files). It's got a video card with S-Video output, so it uses my TV as its primary (and only!) display. The PC also has an 802.11b wireless card so that it can be on my home network and get Internet access.

I have all of my CDs ripped to 160 Kbps WMA files, taking up about 10 gig. I also run Grokster on that machine so that I can download media if I want. All nine seasons of "Friends" takes up about another 20 gig (my one vice ;D).

Every night, the living room PC backs up my media library and any changed media files to my main server in my home office. The server is similar, but it's got a little less memory and a little faster processor.

I use MC on the living room machine to play audio and video files through my stereo and TV. I run Media Server on the living room machine so that I can access my library from the Internet or from my corporate laptop (which is actually where I spend most of my work day). I'd like to run it on my server machine because the server is wired and the living room machine is wireless, so I sometimes get flaky connections to the living room machine, but I've had issues getting Media Server to work right on the server machine, so no luck.

The final piece of the puzzle is a 20 GB Nomad Zen. I use Notmad Explorer to transfer files and playlists from MC to the Zen. I know, I know--MC has a plug-in for the Zen! Well, suffice it to say that I had some issues with MC's plug in... I use the Zen primarily in my car.

Joshua

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2003, 01:06:06 pm »

My PC is connected to my very old Yamaha C2a preamp and a B6 poweramp. I have to use JBL Mk1000 because my wife banned my big selfmade JBL's from the livingroom. My 'monitor' is the TV set, a special 70 cm with an VGA input, but only with 640*480 @ 60 Hz. Works nice but with limitations due to resolution. Controlled by wireless keyboard and mouse. Music is on a server in a basement room on a mirrored drive.

Listening to: 'Magic Carpet Ride' from 'Elixir' by 'Fourplay' on Media Center 9.0
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2003, 01:16:46 pm »

Shuttle SN41G2 with onboard Dolby Digital encoder and SPDIF output going to Onkyo 5.1 amp and Kef 2005 5.1 speaker set.
Onboard Geforce4 420MX going via VGA at 1360x768x32 to 43" Pioneer progressive plasma TV.
Home Theatre Master MX-500 universal remote controlling the whole lot.

I've spent several years (and a lot of cash) putting my setup together and I'm finally at the stage where I'm really happy with it. Once I've got the shelves and cabling tidied up, I'll post a picture.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2003, 01:43:04 pm »

My media server and HTPC are connected to serveral zones in the house, amongst them three surround receivers of different quality (from an Onkyo 939 to a cheap ass Panasonic), one old NAD stereo receiver and two JVC boom blasters (one big, one small). In my office the work PC is connected to a Philips receiver with Magnat (German) bookshelf speakers and a 12" Jensen car subwoofer. I listen to music when I do proof reading, so that's where I get most of my daily dosage (about two to three hours every weekday). And finally there's the carputer in my MediaSUV (Chevy Suburban '95) which has one zone to the car stereo system and two zones to my kids' headphones (before you've let your five year old daughter listen to fairy tales and your seven year old boy listen to Harry Potter on a recorded book you don't know what  a peaceful four hour drive is!). All in all I get my musical cicks just about everywhere and anytime I want to, wich is what I love about a computer based multi-zone sound system!  8)

And of course, besides Girder and IR remotes I control it all with NetRemote courtesy of the great Wicked Ewok. Now that and MC is a match made in home entertainment heaven!
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2003, 03:26:22 pm »

I have a Boston 5.1 System With A Large Woofer On The Floor I Prop My My Feet On.

And A Small Room About 8 Feet By 4 Feet (Its a Walk In Closet) In My Extra Room.

Using A Sb Audigy II Pro Sound Board

Since 1982 I Have Always kept An Extra Room For My Self and i just play in there so people don't touch my stuff.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Flobalob

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2003, 03:53:42 pm »

I have gone over the top here...
I have been into hi-fi for a few years and always been on the upgrade wagon so last year I had an oportunity to do my dream system.
I had previously tried 'jukebox' hardware systems such as Escient's Fireball unit, they were all too limiting.
I now have a 15" LCD monitor on my coffee table along with a wireless KB and mouse. I have a small format desktop computer in my stereo rack with a M-Audio 24/96 S-P/DIF soundcard sending a 96k digital signal to a Monarch digital interface processor, then to a Tact room correction system, then out to a pair of Meridian DSP6000 speakers.
I rip all my CD's using Exact Audio Copy and use Matt Ashland's lossless compression program - Monkey's Audio.I store everything on 120GB USB 2.0 hard drives.
It is true HI-FI.
I actually borrowed Meridian's top-of-the-line CD/DVD player which retails at about $5000 and A/B'ed it with the computer stored audio and could not tell the difference.
The stereo store guys have a real hard time believing that a PC can sound as good as there revered multi-thousand dollar components. But a PCM stream is a PCM stream so long as it is intact and dejittered and reclocked enough.
My only worry now is hard drive failure or loss. That would be disasterous.
I think I may have to double my capacity, clone everything and keep the cloned drives off-site.
Any suggestions for backup anyone??

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2003, 04:00:55 pm »

Great post!  A picture would be really nice.

For backup, the ideal solution is RAID, in my opinion.  Another PC also works.

Can we use the A-B quote?  It might come in handy.

Anyone else who's posted, if you have a picture or a website (Norwegian tomtens included), please edit your post and add it, or e-mail me a picture and I'll put it up.

jimh @ jriver.com

Thanks, Deivit, for starting the thread.  Greetings to Barcelona.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2003, 04:11:03 pm »

I have a Boston 5.1 System With A Large Woofer On The Floor I Prop My My Feet On.

Good foot warmer.

I'm partial to small rooms.  JRiver started in 1982 in a 7X12 room on the third floor of a brick building a stone's throw from the Mississippi.  It was built in 1884.  Here's a picture of the building and the residents in 1996:

http://www.jriver.com/~jriver/misc/1996.jpg

Our office is across the street now.  My cubicle is about the same size as the original room.  What goes around ....

Listening to: 'Medley: Take Me....' from 'Soul Alive' by 'Solomon Burke' on Media Center 9.0

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
  • My Karma ran over my Dogma
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2003, 05:47:33 pm »

I have a whole house audio system where the media PC serves music to either
1. Audigy 2 sound card which feeds a pre-amp which feeds 4 x 2 channel power amps which drive the main house system (KEFs, Mission, and Paradigm speakers in various rooms).
2. The server also feeds an Audiotron in the workshop which doesn't use MC9 (sorry). This used to be my main way of driving the whole house audio but the Audiotron only handles 24,000 songs. This is one of the main reasons I went on a quest for a better music player/manager ... hence why I bought MC9.
3. It also outputs to the Audigy 2 to my home theatre amp through SPDIF so that I can watch ripped DVD's in 5.1.
4. I also grab music from the server and move to my Archos Jukebox 20GB player to play in the car and cabin.

Doing a lot with MC9. It has a few wrinkles and issues but is by far the best music player/organizer I have seen.

dragyn

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2003, 05:52:17 pm »

I have mine connected to some really old fisher speakers. one of them has a small rip in it. It's better than my $10 headphones that keep falling apart I guess.

gkerber

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2003, 06:09:44 pm »

This is good reading, we're sure not a "normal" bunch....

Most people I work with, don't even listen to music much... Too many kids around the house, spouses, lawn care, overtime...

I have a SPDIF coax connection from my computer in my office to my living audio system.  Once I got MJ/MC working, I sold my Sony 400 cd changer, I have no cd player in my living room, or huge racks of cd's.  Just this little universal IR learning remote control and a PDA running RemoteServer to control MC from the living room.  The IR receiver is in my living room, running back on another wire back to my office to connect to my computer.  Lots of back and forth signals to and from my office to the living room.

The computer feeds my B&K surround sound processor, which feeds (2) Carver 200 wpc power amps (front and rear speakers) and a mono Marantz 200 watt power amp (center channel) and a Sunfire subwoofer.  KEF speakers up front, Klipsch in back.

The preamp also feeds two other amps (actually receivers, but I only use the preamp/amp portion) which feed speakers in my office and bedroom.

I've got an IR repeater system in the office and bedroom, meaning the universal learning remotes in those rooms can control the audio system in the living room.  I've also got another PDA running RemoteServer in my bedroom.

Having separate amps for the office and bedroom give me full volume and mute control in those rooms.

Since I'm single (again) I always have music  playing in the house, same music all over the house.  Lately I end with with woman who love music, I guess they either like it playing all over all the time or we don't get along.

I've got two dedicated 120 gig drives in my computer for music.  Almost all is APE lossless.  I'd lie awake at night worrying about the lost bits if I used something lossy.

Backups are a concern.  More hd's for RAID or cloning means more computer noise.  And a fire would still mean total loss of the hd's and the original cd's I ripped from.

I backup the rest of my computer to tape religiously, but tapes don't have the capacity for my music collection.  The backup tapes are stored at my office in case of fire or theft.

Sometimes I'm not sure why I have my living room system, I spend most of my alone time at home in my office, ripping, tagging, organizing, researching, listening.....

I still have to lower myself and touch cd media for music in my car, how crude......  MC for the car system?

Listening to: 'Barcelona Morning' from 'Language of the Soul' by 'Earl, Ronnie' on Media Center 9.0

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2003, 10:37:37 pm »

>> Too many kids around the house
Tie Them Up
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2003, 11:48:55 pm »

Flobalob, why not do as I have done and use the backup disks as part of another system? Since mine are in the car (which is parked outside) they're safe. If you keep a RAID system in your main computer, or any other computer connected to the power grid, you run the risk of having a lightning strike mess up all disks (I had that happen once in my former house, luckily that was back when I was doing tape backups, so most of my stuff could be saved).

JimH, I must protest! I'm a "nisse", not a "tomte". Tomte is a swedish word, but you were really close, only one country too far to the east.  ;D And if you can use any quotes or pictures from my webpage, you're welcome to it. I haven't got any pictures that's better then those.  8)

nila

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2003, 03:34:30 am »

Yeah,
Amen King - My sub makes a great footrest for me too.
Sits under my desk nicely and works perfectly! :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2003, 04:26:56 am »

It's in the nisse's signature, but in case you've not been to Mastiff's site, it's worth a transport:

http://home.powertech.no/mastiff/multizone.htm

Thanks, Tor.

Deivit

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2003, 06:49:20 am »

Thanks, Deivit, for starting the thread.  Greetings to Barcelona.

Thanks, Jim... greetings to you all  :)

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2003, 01:40:02 pm »

mastiff wrote:

If you keep a RAID system in your main computer, or any other computer connected to the power grid, you run the risk of having a lightning strike mess up all disks (I had that happen once in my former house, luckily that was back when I was doing tape backups, so most of my stuff could be saved).

I want to say that this scenario can mess up or destroy your whole electronics, not only your data. To get an protection you need an electrician because wall outlets with integrated protectors (3rd level) are not enough. First and second level protectors are to mount in the powernet itself and if you have your fingers in a switchbox a single wrong move can ruin you the whole day.(Believe me, own expierience - especially if you handle with 230/400V like me :o   ? )
Expensive to realise and so most of us will have this risk all the time.
On the other hand you can lost data by short voltage drops. Many reasons for this, only with a UPS to avoid.
In ancient times we used the phrase 'backup is only for cowards', now I backup every week on a removeable hd and store it in a safe place outside of my home.

Tor, what you are doing if a lightning strikes your system and in the same moment in the cover of the thunderstorm a real mean nisse steals your car?
;)
Andy

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2003, 01:53:51 pm »

Andy, then I take my shotgun and baseball bat and go hunting! Nisses are actually not a protected species anymore, after they defined politicians as nisses, you only need a license to hunt...  ;D

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2003, 02:24:51 pm »

Oh happy Norway,
I'm forced to go to the policestation to grab a formsheet, fill it out and then they will store it in the circular storage ( phrase for ashtray here).  ;D

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2003, 03:35:20 pm »

It's the same all over the world.

circular storage=ash tray for you

round file=waste basket (dust bin in the other English) for us Yanks

Listening to: '01 - O Enredo de Orfeu (Historia do Caranval Carioca)' from 'Orfeu' by 'Caetano Veloso' on Media Center 9.0

tellis007

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2003, 09:09:33 pm »

I have all my music stored in APE format on a half-terabyte RAID server.  Main playback is through my HTPC-->M-Audio Delta DiO 24/96 connected SPDIF to an Anthem AVM 20 and Revel speakers.

Tim

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2003, 05:22:04 am »

Listen? Oh geez! I though the point was to endlessly rip and encode with new formats and then repeat with all variants of switches and options.

Listen!? Hmmm... Be right back.

dragyn

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2003, 07:54:06 am »

>I still have to lower myself and touch cd media for music in my car, how crude

tell me about it. just the other day I was playing a cd (don't ask why), and it started to skip real bad. I almost threw the darn thing out the window..

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2003, 11:54:20 am »

Well,

I usualy listen to the music from JRMC9 with quite a hightech setup.
I have a pair of highly sensitive Pinnas & Conchas on both sides of my head. Each of them is directly linked to a high precision Tympanic membrane (I'm not Shure about the brand !). There's also an Eustachian tube that helps a lot with the extremely high pressure typical of certain genre of music. From there a pair of Cochlea nerves wire everything to a Neuronal Sound Processor. Ok, I know, it's quite an old processor model but as it's a gift from mum and dad, I don't feel like going for a newer one. It cuts frequencies at about 16 khz, but I'm use to it now and I really enjoy listenning to JRMC9 music with this setup.

Here's a picture of one of those devices :

Listening to: 'Can You Hear The Music' from 'Goats Head Soup' by 'Rolling Stones' on Media Center 9.0

:)

C.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2003, 12:37:34 pm »

Fascinating system, I own a old neuronal sound processor too but mine drives me nuts. Does anybody know the thread for these ?  Boot in the morning takes almost endlessly and always this temporary losts of data... Dont't look for a new one either but maybe a renewed firmware or upgrade modules ?

ThomasB

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2003, 04:37:19 am »

My only worry now is hard drive failure or loss. That would be disasterous.
I think I may have to double my capacity, clone everything and keep the cloned drives off-site.
Any suggestions for backup anyone??

I'm coming from the same side; i.e. migrated from HIFI to PC.  

I used to have my library on RAID-1 but I've changed it to a mirrored backup to USB-disks using a nice software called "MirrorFolder". It's safer and far more flexible than a hardware RAID.

I'm listening to MP3s in the VBR --r3mix format and I'm not able to distinguish the difference between the original CDs played on my stereo and the MP3s played from my PC using a Hoontech DSP24 with the same AD/DA converter as my Marantz CD-player/recorder.

For that simple reason I stopped CD listening in favour of MC. It's more convenient at the same quality.

Output via Kenwood-Receiver and selfconstructed huge "Peerless"-equipped speakers. As I'm playing most of the time really loud, i.e. HIFI, I don't care about the little noise generated by the PC.

Greetings from Austria,

Thomas

Listening to "Saint Dominic's Preview" from "Van Morrison" on MC 9.0.

zevele10

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2003, 07:53:27 am »

Well ,on one side of the room ,ME ,my computer , my stereo.
Few meters away two very large speakers.
Just got an Sound Blaster Extigy - waiting for tips from you to plug it-

Where they use to put the printer ,i have Yamaha speakers with a bass box . I use it early in the morning when i do not feel to use headphones.
But most of the time i play throught the stereo system.

I do not play my cds on the computer , i still play them from the stereo ,the same concerning LPs ,as you may wonder....

I have only music i buy or stole from the weeb and cds from friends on my computer.

There is one thing i REALLY dislike with the computer : to have the albums in alphabetic order - So i put 1 ,2 ,3 ,4 ect in front of each album ,like it i got them in the order they been out.

I have sleeve, bios ,note  inside each file and lyrics if i find them.
Weeb link if it is a very obscure band [ more than half of the stuff i have ].

The artists i like the most ,or the most difficult to get ,i do MP3cds as back-up.

RAID does not make sens to me ,i have +500 giga hard drives so......

But i thing i found a solution for back up.

A kind of box where you put hard drives as you put  and remove tapes in a player - well ,more or less ,but kind of-

Like it i may be able to buy 60-80-100 giga drives for cheap and fill them as back-up.

I do not have any kind of Ipod , as long as there is not one lossless format compatible.

I use a discman cd/ mp3 cds player . Somewhere i have a 4 letters Sony minidisc.

I may buy an TEAC [ ?] mini disc player . Just player but playing minidiscs with MP3 on it.

I play my few DVD and videos on my computer- 19" monitor.
In this case i just turn the monitor looking to the speakers ,and i seat  in an armchair with the speakers  in my back .
I had a wireless keyboard with a kind of buton/mousse , but not Windows 2000 compatible ,so i need to find another one.
I have only live concerts on DVd ,so i do not play them very often. But i rip the music on my drive

gkerber

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2003, 09:12:55 am »

> There is one thing i REALLY dislike with the computer :
> to have the albums in alphabetic order - So i put
> 1 ,2 ,3 ,4 ect in front of each album ,like it i got them
> in the order they been out.

(how do I do a real quote in the white box?)

I had this same issue, so I used one of the custom fields as an "order" field.  I put 01, 02, - 99 in the field within artists and adjust my sort order to honor it, then within artists, all my albums show up in the track list in the order I want them (the tree is still alpha sorted).

Deivit

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2003, 09:19:25 am »

>

Just click on the "quote" icon (right hand corner) of the post you want to "quote"  ;)

------
Listening to: 'Unequal Love' from 'Del And The Boys' by 'The Del McCoury Band' on Media Center 9.0

zevele10

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2003, 09:26:21 am »

Just click on the "quote" icon (right hand corner) of the post you want to "quote"  ;)

------
Listening to: 'Unequal Love' from 'Del And The Boys' by 'The Del McCoury Band' on Media Center 9.0

But look like the quote is send before i can write anything.....

zevele10

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2003, 09:29:26 am »

> There is one thing i REALLY dislike with the computer :
> to have the albums in alphabetic order - So i put
> 1 ,2 ,3 ,4 ect in front of each album ,like it i got them
> in the order they been out.

I had this same issue, so I used one of the custom fields as an "order" field.  I put 01, 02, - 99 in the field within artists and adjust my sort order to honor it, then within artists, all my albums show up in the track list in the order I want them (the tree is still alpha sorted).

NO ,it  is ok now.

Doing as you do put the albums in 'your' order when you burn MP3 to cd- i mean cdswith MP3 o it , not Redbook cds

Flobalob

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2003, 11:06:55 am »

Thanks for all the backup suggestions.
Should've maybe started a new thread on that.
JimH asked for a pic of my system
Here's the room, plain and simple - speakers and a monitor with KB and mouse.

http://members.cox.net/p.clough/stereopan.jpg

It's a panorama so don't forget to pan
Here is my computer and components hiddin in a closet

http://members.cox.net/p.clough/stereorack.jpg

Computer on top
Old tape deck
Middle shelf is miscellaneous - A/D/A converter, Dejitterer, headphone amp, digital and audio router, etc. The external HD's are also behind that stuff.
Tact Room Correction Amp
And power distribution on the bottom shelf.

Hope that didn't bore anyone.
Hi-fi has never been simpler or sounded as good.
The dealer that sold me the speakers came over for an audition. After a while he said what are you using for a source. I said 'Computer'. :o Say no more!

fuega

• Recent member
  • Stop showing me that
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2003, 08:51:05 am »

>> Too many kids around the house
Tie Them Up

We employ the velcro on the wall technique. No rope burns.

Just toss 'em up!

Phew...
Sometimes I plug my bass into my soundcard and play along. My sound card plugs into an older Yamaha RX-595 ( you'd need to pry it from my cold dead hands) output to the most horrible acoustiphase speakers known.

Other times, MC plays through my desktop's Boston Acoustic speakers and sub that came with my box in '97.
I like to rest my feet on the sub, too.

When I have parties ( I remember one once, a birthday.) I switch the horrible acoustiphase with KEF Q-15's -- and my old trusty Yamaha rocks with crappy sounding mp3's. One day I'll convert to loseless...one day...

Mostly I just play my bass.
One day I envision musical nirvanah with MC ? as its centerpiece. All of our rooms will ring with different music and there will be much rejoicing. But that involves time, money and motivation. Currently there is a complete lack thereof.

Listening to: 'Crosscut Saw' from 'Blues Masters Sampler' by 'Albert King' on Media Center 9.0

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2003, 10:05:23 am »

Shuttle SN41G2 with onboard Dolby
Home Theatre Master MX-500 universal remote controlling the whole lot.

That is the most awesome remote ever. All of the best parts of an LCD programmable remote combined with more hard buttons than you could ever need. And super powerful IR transmitter too!!!

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2003, 12:34:09 pm »

Nah, the best remote ever is NetRemote and my PPC with a WLAN card! Let me see your remote master give you unlimited access to all your mp3 files anywhere in the house and  within 60 yards outside of it, with feedback of title, track number, playlist, playing time, cover and so on! ;D

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2003, 12:16:26 am »

I'm coming from the same side; i.e. migrated from HIFI to PC.  

I used to have my library on RAID-1 but I've changed it to a mirrored backup to USB-disks using a nice software called "MirrorFolder". It's safer and far more flexible than a hardware RAID.

Have you had any problems with Mirror Folder?  It looks like an excellent program.  Is it really flexible?  I noticed that it has the ability to mirror to removable devices.  How does that work?

I'm in the process of putting together a pc with 2 200GB hds for my music.  I will probably just get too more drives, mirror the data and then disconnect them.  Then mirror only when I make changes.  Will MirrorFolder handle that?

It looks like a really cool program.  Have you been using it for a while?

Thanks,
kiwi
Pages: [1]   Go Up