INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird week ... or month .... or something  (Read 1538 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Weird week ... or month .... or something
« on: May 30, 2003, 03:50:37 pm »

I wrote to a friend this week, trying to explain the recent developments in digital music.  Here's a slightly edited version (to protect the innocent).  I'm sure you can add to it.  iTunes, for example.

Whatever....

----------------

Thanks for this, Claude.  It's been interesting lately.  Here are some other changes:

Apple has created a stir with its new integrated approach.  They claim to have sold 2,000,000 tracks in about the first three weeks.

MusicNet, the service owned by Real, BMG, EMI, and Warner Music, seems to be drifting.  The press has reported that Pressplay and Musicnet have lost a combined $60 million and have about 100,000 subscribers in total.  Real seems to have withdrawn their support.

Real acquired Listen.com, owner of the Rhapsody service.  This week they announced that they would sell 79 cent downloads and provide a Windows system to beat the daylights out of Apple's new service.

Universal's groups, Emusic and MP3.com, seem to be under some pressure to perform.  

I think there must be two or three big ones, waiting in the wings, ready to pounce.  Microsoft would seem likely.  Who knows who else will enter?

I think nobody will make money for a year or two at least.  This situation could go on longer, much longer.

My best,

Jim

MachineHead

Re: Weird week ... or month .... or something
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2003, 04:08:41 pm »

Did you see who ditched Real for Dolby's AAC? AOL.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2003, 04:18:10 pm »

AOL has there own problems.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2003, 04:25:20 pm »

Did you see who ditched Real for Dolby's AAC? AOL.

Microsoft settled with AOL this week for $750 million, 7 years of IE, and a lot of tricky things happened behind closed doors.   It wasn't a good week for Real.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 04:27:34 pm »

and MS needs to make sure AOL works with Windows was part of the settlement i heard on tech TV
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 05:28:50 pm »

It was announced in the UK a coupla weeks back, that EMI were about to release their entire back-catalog to the internet through several European websites. At the time, it did'nt say who.

It's since come to light that they'll be sold through the websites of the normal high street music retailers eg Virgin, HMV etc.

It's gone quiet since then....

So, I guess the retailers will add their profit margin on and the end product will end up at the same price as you would get it if you walked down the shop. Minus, of course, the cd and cover.

It's rip-off time folks...

Jim

zevele10

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2003, 01:16:02 am »

Must be using the Peter Gabriel 'format'
Im protected WMA , X times a play ,and so on ..to make short the same s...t than others deals.

You can get songs at the french site FNAC-- kind of Tower ,Borders-.
I cannot tell you about the catalogue because i you do not have Windows Media player number ?? you cannot even browse the songs they have.

Anyway ,all of it is making the succes of p2p....

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2003, 02:31:53 am »

Good Morning Zev

You wrote : 'Must be using the Peter Gabriel 'format'
In protected WMA , X times a play ,and so on ..to make short the same s...t than others deals.'

Yep, I think that seems to be the general idea.

I was listening to a radio phone-in (TalkSportRadio) a coupla nights back on the subject. The general opinion was ' They've ripped me off for years and years, now I'm ripping them off'. And who can argue with that sentiment.

By the way, the program I really like on this radio station is James Whale, mon-thurs 10pm-1am (English time). He's on holiday for another week but try listen the following week. He's quite entertaining, covers all sorts of topics and, in particular at the mo , the Israel/Palestine situation and the Iraqui war.

Another of their presenters well worth the listen is Mike Dickin at 10am - noon daily.

The station is so named because it covers sports topics during most of the day and general-subject phone-ins overnight.

Web address is www.talksport.net

How are thing over there with you? Judging by the news, there looks to be an outside chance of a settlement - let's hope so !!

Have a nice Saturday - Jim

zevele10

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2003, 11:07:02 am »

They've ripped me off for years and years, now I'm ripping them off
===-=-=-=-=

Yes for a part , but also the fact that ANYTHING is avaible on the weeb ,execpt digital music.

You can open a bank accompt ,buy shares ,take life insurange ,rent or buy a flat , book your next trip ect ect.
But you cannot get one song a fair price with free use of it.
I know that Jim does not like what i say but : i cannot steal something who do not exist.
So i do not steal free music  at fair price  ,because there is not such a thing.
Well ,there is Emusic ,3 years since i started with them.
Do not think i will stay with they new f--g system.

Will try James Whale. But 1:am is 3 :am here .

As you may understand i'am waiting to see any result.
Do not have any opinion if we are or not on the good road.
Look like yes ,but .... midle-est is not Midland .. no way to really plan everything.

Of cause i stand on the side of the ones really wanting an issue , good ,not only to us ,but to both.

The way Bush 'paints'  the general frame to other arabs countrys look full of hope to get a real involvement from them , and not only the useless kiss and  'big mouths'  they like so much- and i try to stay polite ....
Pages: [1]   Go Up