INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Bitstreaming  (Read 2874 times)

mjn77

• Recent member
Audio Bitstreaming
« on: October 14, 2018, 02:02:38 am »

I have JRiver mostly setup and looks like it does everything i need, BUT......how do I enable bitstreaming for my audio / FLAC files?

I've enabled bitstreaming under the audio in the settings menu, but my amp continues to receive PCM, either in 2 channel or 5.1, depending on what i choose for audio device.

For films, my amp receives the bitstreaming no problems.  My amp is setup correctly, as other software is configured for bitstreaming.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Audio Bitstreaming
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 02:16:40 am »

Bitstreaming is only possible with a number of consumer audio codecs used in videos, namely DTS/DTS-HD, Dolby Digital/DD+, or TrueHD.
Typical music audio codecs like FLAC (or even MP3) cannot be bitstreamed, the HDMI connection is not specified to alow that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mjn77

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 02:29:00 am »

Bitstreaming is only possible with a number of consumer audio codecs used in videos, namely DTS/DTS-HD, Dolby Digital/DD+, or TrueHD.
Typical music audio codecs like FLAC (or even MP3) cannot be bitstreamed, the HDMI connection is not specified to alow that.

What?  Windows Media Player, KODI, Media Portal all allow bitstreaming over HDMI for FLAC files.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 02:37:49 am »

HDMI bitstreaming only supports the formats mentioned above, FLAC is not supported. This is a hardware limit, there is nothing software can do about that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mjn77

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 03:07:30 am »

I tried an optical cable......same results.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 03:30:55 pm »

Flac is simply a bit perfect compression format that allows PCM files to be stored in less space. On playback, the compressed format is converted back to the original PCM which is sent out over usb or optical or HDMI?  That is pretty standard.

Why do you want to send the compressed FLAC format to your amp (receiver I presume)? Most receivers are expecting PCM,not flac.

Caesar

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 05:04:50 am »

Hi,

I'm in the same boat as the original poster.
Did any solution come up to send flac audio files undecoded to a receiver to let the receiver do the decoding job?
I have all my audio (flac format) and video stored on a QNAP TS451+ NAS and would like to send it straight from there to my Denon AVC-X8500H receiver. The receiver's HEOS option gets the plain flac file via network cable and that sounds great. But that HEOS player is a PITA to operate.
Sending the audio files through KODI which I have installed on the NAS sounds different and not as good.
Thank you for any help.

Cheers
Caesar

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 06:20:45 am »

You're probably using DLNA and the DLNA Server is converting.  Under Media Network settings > Advanced, you can change that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up