INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio analysis, File handles, Sidecars, and Import  (Read 390 times)

ErikN

• Junior Woodchuck
Audio analysis, File handles, Sidecars, and Import
« on: October 19, 2018, 12:02:31 pm »

There have been various threads where the failure suspect has been a held file-handle. One recent case involved audio analysis. I have largely narrowed down another related to audio analysis and import (but not related to TV Recording directory or any active recording).

Here is the sequence. Mine involves a ATSC .ts file but it could have been any video already known to MC.

#1: Recorded a TV program yielding: show.ts , show_ts_sidecar
#2: F6 move show to a transcode directory. Directory is not a JRiver import directory.
#3: Transcode to mp4 yielding:
        transcode-in/show.ts  => transode-out/show.mp4
     Copy/rename side car
        transcode-in/show_ts_sidecar => transcode-out/show_mp4_sidecar
#4: If happy with mp4, move pair to final archive directory which JRiver auto imports. My auto import includes audio analysis for video files.

What I sometimes see happening following during the import:

#5: Import occurs. show.mp4 shows up in MC (recently imported etc. with all metadata)
#6: System activity indicates audio analysis taking place

This is the kicker
#7: MC's debug log showed "Import: AudioAnalyze: show.ts" instead of "show.mp4"

#8: If I try to delete "show.ts" from within MC it pops up a warning that it is unable to delete the file. If I keep clicking "retry" in the pop-up it will succeed once audio analysis completes 1-2 minutes later.

My guess at why it is analyzing "show.ts".
- The sidecar has a "filename" tag which still says "show.ts" since I did a simple copy/rename
- When show.mp4 and show_mp4_sidecar are imported there seems to be brief confusion over whether "show.mp4" or "show.ts" is the new file. "show.mp4" imports perfectly along with it's metadata but audio analysis sometimes? always? launches on the wrong file

I accept that the confusion created by the inconsistent sidecar filename tag is a grey area. However, MC should not be oblivious to whether or not audio analysis is taking place on a file. If I try to delete "show.ts" while analysis is ongoing it should:
   (a) State file cannot be deleted until analysis is complete, or
   (b) Simply cancel analysis and delete the file
instead of a mysterious "unable to delete".

I hope this is useful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up