INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Date First Rated] being updated incorrectly, I think.  (Read 1002 times)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
[Date First Rated] being updated incorrectly, I think.
« on: October 24, 2018, 10:25:25 pm »

I haven't used Ratings much on any of my media, but I was looking at [Date First Rated] recently and it doesn't seem to be updated correctly. I assume that it is supposed to be blank until a rating is added to a file, at which time a Date and Time value will be saved to the field.

Pretty much the only information I can find about the field is when it was introduced. Maybe nobody has really used or tested it since then?
20.0.5 (8/4/2014)
1. NEW: Added 'Date First Rated' field.

What I am seeing is that on my HTPC where I have 27,803 audio files, 969 have a [Date First Rated], but only 23 files actually have a value in the [Rating] field. One had a [Rating], but no [Date First Rated] until I changed the Rating. I guess the [Date First Rated] could be coming from YADB or MusicBrainz when I do lookups, but I believe that Ratings aren't updated from these sources, so the [Date First Rated] shouldn't be either. Most of these audio files are MP3s I inherited from my brother, which were then imported into MC when I set it up.

In fact, all files that have values in [Date First Rated] that I can't explain were imported after May 1st, 2017, but I hadn't imported anything between November 2015 and the first occurrence on May 7th 2017. Maybe something changed in MC around that time.

On my Workstation where I have done a lot of CD rips, the [Date First Rated] seems to be the Date and Time that a CD rip started for all Tracks, or maybe when the disc was first detected by MC as the Date and Time match records in the CD Database, while the [Date Imported] seems to be the Date and Time that each Track rip was finished. These rips were also done after May 2017.

For the 7516 Video files on my HTPC, 3161 having a [Date First Rated] value, and of those 156 actually have a [Rating] value. Of those with a Rating, most are TV Shows, with only two Movies and one Music Video. So 3005 have a [Date First Rated] value and no [Rating] value, confirmed both by math and a search. I believe all of the 156 files that actually have a [Rating] value are programs that I manually rated. Most are the Doctor Who series.  ;D

In most cases for video files the [Date First Rated] matches the [Date Imported] almost but never exactly. The time matches to the minutes but a comparison of the two fields doesn't find any exact matches, so they differ by seconds. Testing for a non-exact match lists all 7516 videos. In the case of TV recordings, the [Date Imported] matches the start time of the recording, and the [Date First Rated] matches the end time, bot including padding times.

So for video the [Date First Rated] appears to be set to the current Date and Time shortly after the file is imported, except for TV recordings where it is set shortly after the recording finishes.

Anyway, I don't think the functionality around the [Date First Rated] field is working as the name would imply. It looks like it was broken between November 2015 and May 2017. Thoughts?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
Re: [Date First Rated] being updated incorrectly, I think.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 07:30:20 am »

Yeah, I agree this isn't working.

Thousands of images rated over the last few years, and none appear to have this field filled.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 01:39:25 pm »

I was the user that requested this field to be added, and I use it extensively without issue. I have a bunch of smartlists that track the most recently rated songs. However, I only use it for music and have not used it for other media types.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 04:59:12 pm »

Bryan, when you rip a CD, does the field remain blank?

It gets filled at the time of starting the rip for me, or at least that is the evidence in my library.

But if the field is blank and the file is rated, it does work correctly and update the [Date First Rated] with the current Date and Time.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 05:26:20 pm »

I can reproduce the first rated date getting set when you rip.  We'll try to fix it for the next build.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 06:00:16 pm »

Something must be different elsewhere too..

I have absolutely no rated music, only images.
(All jpg from assorted sources)

Definitely not seeing the field filled on a quick subset I rated this morning.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 06:40:43 pm »

Bryan, when you rip a CD, does the field remain blank?

It gets filled at the time of starting the rip for me, or at least that is the evidence in my library.

But if the field is blank and the file is rated, it does work correctly and update the [Date First Rated] with the current Date and Time.

I have not ripped an album in some time, so I cannot say. I do have some image files in my library but they do not show up in any of my [Date First Rated] based smartlists, which leads me to believe that the tag is not present.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 07:21:15 pm »

I do have some image files in my library but they do not show up in any of my [Date First Rated] based smartlists, which leads me to believe that the tag is not present.

Are those Smartlists filtered to only show Audio files?

I only looked at Audio, imported Video files, and TV Recordings initially, as above.

Only a few of the image files on my HTPC have a [Date First Rated] value, and those few I can explain. The tag is updated when I rate an image. So the functionality seems fine for images. Well, at least for the images I am looking at, which were all imported in 2013. Oh... wait. On my Workstation, all images imported in August 2018 have a [Date First Rated] value, and it matches the [Date Imported] value. So the same issue as Video and TV recordings. That again points to a change in functionality some time between 2013 and 2017.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 11:15:03 pm »

I have absolutely no rated music, only images.
(All jpg from assorted sources)

Definitely not seeing the field filled on a quick subset I rated this morning.
Without re-reading the thread... are you rating in MC itself?  Or in a remote?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 11:57:38 pm »

Mostly not rating anything at all up to now Jim, but when I do, it is in MC. Usually in Standard View. Never in a Remote.

To clarify briefly, my issue is mostly that the tag already has a value in it, so when I do Rate something, the [Date First Rated] isn't updated.

So when I rip a CD, it already has values in the [Date First Rated] tag, and I have to remember to delete those before rating a Track, or the [Date First Rated] tag isn't updated.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 07:02:11 am »

Without re-reading the thread... are you rating in MC itself?  Or in a remote?

Good spot.
I'm using the RainMeter API to power a small hovering panel on my 2nd monitor.

Doing it from inside MC fills the field OK.
Panel also works.

Really minor detail, which I personally don't care about, but could probably do with fixing as otherwise someone else will bump into it :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up